Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Wonder if they felt Staal was too comfortable? They seem to want to change culture there.
It might be that- MoJo is a mil more expensive anyway, so it can't be cap. I bet there's a Dumba-for-a-center trade that might make this make more sense upcoming.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Maybe they are hurting financially or wanting to go with a youth movement soon. No clue

Except Johanssen isn't cheaper in any regard for Minnesota... 4m salary owed vs Staal's 3m salary. 4.5m in cap to Staal's 3.25AAV.

Younger player is the only notable thing I can see in Minny's favour - I'm surprised they couldn't get a better asset from someone.

I mean, maybe their pro scouting sees something in MoJo that no-one else sees? I mean, Boston had him looking decent in their eventual loss to us last year - give MoJo a year to show his stuff and extend him vs trying to sign him as a free agent? Pretty low risk move. Or they're attempting to pull a Montreal (acquiring Scandella for a 4th and trading him later for a 2nd + cond 4th)...

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Except Johanssen isn't cheaper in any regard for Minnesota... 4m salary owed vs Staal's 3m salary. 4.5m in cap to Staal's 3.25AAV.

Younger player is the only notable thing I can see in Minny's favour - I'm surprised they couldn't get a better asset from someone.

I mean, maybe their pro scouting sees something in MoJo that no-one else sees? I mean, Boston had him looking decent in their eventual loss to us last year - give MoJo a year to show his stuff and extend him vs trying to sign him as a free agent? Pretty low risk move. Or they're attempting to pull a Montreal (acquiring Scandella for a 4th and trading him later for a 2nd + cond 4th)...
They seem to think he can play center. Perhaps, but I am somewhat dubious that he can play center in top 6. Evason was apparently assistant in Washington when he was there and likes him. It's pretty low risk though since both guys are in last contract year.

Reactions: mk80

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Minnesota definitely has other moves coming. Staal is gone and Koivu is leaving too. They have no centers.

I’m not saying this was a good trade but they aren’t done. Dumba’s name has been in the rumor mill a lot. They will be trading for a center soon.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Say Tampa wins and Stamkos doesn’t play, who’s first to lift the cup? Hedman? And has a team ever won a cup with their captain not playing a single game in the playoffs?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I am glad they are starting the finals right away. (Sat).
I kind of wish they waited until Sunday...but only because I’m rooting hard for Tampa Bay (mostly rooting hard against Dallas/Jamie Benn tbh) and wanted Tampa to have some extra time to heal up.

Should be an interesting series! A healthy Tampa blows Dallas out of the water IMO, but they are far from healthy. Several storylines I’ll be following:

1) Dallas’ goaltending - can Khudobin keep this up? Will Bishop be healthy and get in games?

2) Tampa’s health - they’ve been without Stamkos all playoffs but there have been reports of him skating...could he get in any games? Point and Kucherov were pretty obviously playing thru injuries during the islanders series, will they be healthy enough to be effective in the series?

Note fan in Big D

Oct 22, 2008
Texas
Man, the Stars were outshot once again (36-20) and pulled-off yet another W. They’ve been outshot 5–11-2 this playoffs, with the “2” being the teams having the same shot totals. Dobby is definitely better than Bishop, and the reason they have made it this far.

What ticks me off as a Blues’ fan living in Dallas (Have a number of Stars’ fan buddies):

- The Stars had the fifth-most points in the West, yet got to be in the Top 4 for Round Robin purposes.
- They may have missed the playoffs had the regular season concluded normally. 13 games to go for them.
- They had six-straight losses at the pause, and were four points from 9th place / five points from 10th.
- They were 12 points behind the Blues, but could have secured West No. 1 in the three-game Round Robin. That’s only worth six points if you win all three.
- They haven’t had to go against Tkachuk, Grubauer, EJ, and Stamkos.

This on top of most teams getting healthy and it being a crap-shoot for which teams could gel quickest. Stinks that four Blues’ players got ‘Rona and we were w/o Tarasenko/Steen/Bouwmeester.

If Dallas pulls this off, it might be more tainted than ‘99 with Hull. Let’s Go Tampa and Maroon!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridge1982 and stl76

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Man, the Stars were outshot once again and pulled-off yet another W. They’ve been outshot 5–11-2 this playoffs, with the “2” being the teams having the same shot totals. Dobby is definitely better than Bishop, and the reason they have made it this far.

What ticks me off as a Blues’ fan living in Dallas (Have a number of Stars’ fan buddies):

- The Stars had the fifth-most points in the West, yet got to be in the Top 4 for Round Robin purposes.
- They may have missed the playoffs had the regular season concluded normally. 13 games to go for them.
- They has six-straight losses at the pause, and were four points from 9th place / five points from 10th.
- They were 12 points behind the Blues, but could have secured West No. 1 in the three-game Round Robin. That’s only worth six points if you win all three.

This on top of most teams getting healthy and it being a crap-shoot for which teams could gel quickest. Stinks that four Blues’ players got ‘Rona and we were w/o Tarasenko/Steen/Bouwmeester.

If Dallas pulls this off, it might be more tainted than ‘99 with Hull. Let’s Go Tampa and Maroon!
I don’t buy that is tainted. They had tough path. Stars knocked out Colorado and Vegas, who everyone thought were top 2 challengers in West. Tampa is really good. If anything bubble makes it harder to sustain top play. I’m not a Stars fan, but what they’ve done is impressive.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Man, the Stars were outshot once again (36-20) and pulled-off yet another W. They’ve been outshot 5–11-2 this playoffs, with the “2” being the teams having the same shot totals. Dobby is definitely better than Bishop, and the reason they have made it this far.

- They has six-straight losses at the pause, and were four points from 9th place / five points from 10th.

More points percentage than Edmonton.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
After that Kiviranta goal you could just see the frustration on Tampa's bench. Now, they put Dallas on their heels after, but that's a gut punch to start the series. Let's see if the Lightning's mentally weak repuatation comes back to bite them, as this is the first time they've really faced any adversity in a series this year.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
After that Kiviranta goal you could just see the frustration on Tampa's bench. Now, they put Dallas on their heels after, but that's a gut punch to start the series. Let's see if the Lightning's mentally weak repuatation comes back to bite them..

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

- They had six-straight losses at the pause, and were four points from 9th place / five points from 10th.

In hindsight it’s hard to complain that Dallas was seeded higher than Edmonton. I don’t get that complaint at all.

Khudobin has been a joy to watch. Who doesn’t get pulled in to the drama of rooting for the backup to lead his team to the Cup?

Dallas has played the toughest path they could have faced. They’ve definitely earned their spot in the SCF.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I would say that I was surprised that Dallas were in the RR. I thought that the NHL would have put the top-2 from each Division into it, considering the importance they place on the Division in typical playoff rankings and the fact it was a 2/2 split in the other and very little between Dallas & Edmonton for it to be an issue.

Not that matters. Dallas have earned their current success.

If you want to complain about how the NHL handled the round robin, then the complaint is about how it was set up in a way that screwed us over. There isn't a justification that we were the #4 seeds in the playoffs and that the draft order has us picking as though we were #1 seeds in the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->