Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I would gladly take the Presidents Trophy. I'm not one of those who believes there's some mystical force that keeps you from winning the Cup if you win the Presidents. I just think winning the Cup is extremely difficult and a lot of things have to go right. That's why there isn't a lot of Presidents Trophy/Cup winning years.

When the Blues repeat, other whiny fanbases can't say the Blues got lucky or didn't deserve the Cup if they've also got the President's Trophy illustrating their regular season dominance as well.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I would gladly take the Presidents Trophy. I'm not one of those who believes there's some mystical force that keeps you from winning the Cup if you win the Presidents. I just think winning the Cup is extremely difficult and a lot of things have to go right. That's why there isn't a lot of Presidents Trophy/Cup winning years.
I can’t remember where I read it, but I recall seeing an article that laid it out and showed the president's trophy winning team has won the cup about 25% of the time.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
We spent a good part of the beginning of last season trying man to man. Put us on last place in the league. Both of those teams are terrible this year so I don’t expect it to catch on.
Why are coaches repeatedly trying this? It’s got to be working somewhere to generate this much interest.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
One point behind the Caps for the Presidents Trophy with equal games played. Blues own The first tie-breaker based on the strength of zero shootout wins vs the Capitals three.

Didn't they switch the tiebreaker to regulation wins? I mean, not that it changes anything, we've still got 1 RW over WSH (20 RW for us).

BOS is right there in the mix too. 57 pts, 40 GP, 22 RW. That's going to be a tight race for the president trophy - not that I care about that title...

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The gap between 1 and 2 in the west is as big as the gap between 2 and 11. It’s going to be interesting these next few months.

I'm just happy we've managed to bank some points in case the injury bug hits us on the blue line. I think we've got terrific forward depth, but think our record takes a big hit if Petro or Parayko were to be injured (knock on wood).

Besides, it's nice to be sitting on an 8 point cushion on 2nd with 13 points on the WC2, instead of biting our nails as the games tick down wondering if we'll make the playoffs or not.

Edit: I'm very happy to watch the 2-5 slots duke it out, safely entrenched in 1st. Edmonton being outside the playoffs and 2 points back on 2nd in the Pacific will be great to follow.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I'm just happy we've managed to bank some points in case the injury bug hits us on the blue line. I think we've got terrific forward depth, but think our record takes a big hit if Petro or Parayko were to be injured (knock on wood).

Besides, it's nice to be sitting on an 8 point cushion on 2nd with 13 points on the WC2, instead of biting our nails as the games tick down wondering if we'll make the playoffs or not.

Edit: I'm very happy to watch the 2-5 slots duke it out, safely entrenched in 1st. Edmonton being outside the playoffs and 2 points back on 2nd in the Pacific will be great to follow.

Absolutely. I meant the comment partly to highlight the great start, but mostly to note how competitive and fluid it is going to get. Any decent win streak can put you in play for a great seed. Any sizable losing streak, and these teams are on the outside looking in. It’s remarkable how tight the gap is below us.

TaffyPool

Mar 8, 2019
I too don’t think there’s a Presidents Trophy curse. Win it or not, I like our Blues chances going into the playoffs (and now, finally, after half a season of dominance, so do power ranking makers who usually had us in the 4-6 spots).

How’ bout this — win the Conference this season, and the Stanley Cup. Then *next* season, get the Presidents...and the Stanley Cup. :)

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I too don’t think there’s a Presidents Trophy curse. Win it or not, I like our Blues chances going into the playoffs (and now, finally, after half a season of dominance, so do power ranking makers who usually had us in the 4-6 spots).

How’ bout this — win the Conference this season, and the Stanley Cup. Then *next* season, get the Presidents...and the Stanley Cup. :)
I don’t think there is a curse. I think there is a different mindset thinking you are the Cup favorite vs a team trying to prove it. When a team falls behind in a series, do they feel that extra pressure?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
With the Capitals losing today, any Blues win tonight gives them the most points at the end of the calendar year and what is for them the halfway point of the schedule.

:thumbu:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think Sharks needs to retool fast as possible like Boston did couple year back. If not they will end up like Detroit. Trade Mr. Burns for futures.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Minnesota gets 2021 Winter Classic. We are apparently rumored to be the top of the list as the opponent.
If we get announced as the opponent I'll consider getting tickets but that's going to be Mystery Alaska level cold.

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
Hahahahaha man I was rooting for Nashville in this but their fans are brutal (remind me of Sharks fans with how much they cry), but now I gotta say I hope they choke this game away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->