Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If the Blues didn't have Brayden Schenn (and the Stanley Cup) I would be a lot more angry at Shattenkirk for signing with Tampa after blocking us from trading him there.

But I'd much rather have Schenn (who was acquired in part for the first we got for Shatty) than Jonathan Drouin so it all works out.
Yeah, but there is also a big difference between Taylor Hall and Drouin. We don’t know what the details of those deals would have been, but it’s crazy to think either would have been the centerpiece for Shattenkirk.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Never a Drouin fan. He’s decent, but so overrated. Way too much hype at the time for guy who had scored like 6 goals.

Hopefully he will bust out and match the hype because I am a Canadiens fan.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, but there is also a big difference between Taylor Hall and Drouin. We don’t know what the details of those deals would have been, but it’s crazy to think either would have been the centerpiece for Shattenkirk.

The way I view the Shattenkirk and even the Oshie trade has changed completely since we won the cup, because while the returns were not amazing, there is a strong chance we don’t win the cup if we did do better with those trades.

Basically let’s say that Shattenkirk for Hall trade we’ve always heard happened. Awesome! That’s a gigantic steal, and his contract for his production is awesome. But then we have his contract on the books, and we don’t get the 1st round pick from Washington that we used to trade for Brayden Schenn. If Hall has the same injury issues with us he did with Jersey we don’t touch that cup.

Basically, when you win the cup, even the things that went wrong ended up going kind of right.

Reactions: mk80 and Blueston

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
If the Blues didn't have Brayden Schenn (and the Stanley Cup) I would be a lot more angry at Shattenkirk for signing with Tampa after blocking us from trading him there.

But I'd much rather have Schenn (who was acquired in part for the first we got for Shatty) than Jonathan Drouin so it all works out.
Great perspective.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Read that Chicago fans are really disappointed about Seabrook level and he has 6.875mill.$ x 4-years left including this current one. They speak Seabrook isn't NHL level dmen. Keith also has been bad and he has ~5.5mill.$ x 3 years + including this year.

Brent Seabrook - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Duncan Keith - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

LOVE IT!!!!

giphy.gif

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Seabrook’s contract was a boat anchor the day it was signed. I still don’t know why they did it. Keith’s is not as bad and he’s still useful. But this is pretty much expected.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
This has to be outdated, right. Like from 10 years ago or something? That's the only reasonable explanation(and the Leafs weren't exactly juggernauts at that time either, but were at least better than Tampa when they were in the basement for a bit). Even the most delusional, biased, homer Leafs fan would at least admit that Vasi is better than Andersen. Vasi won the f***ing Vezina last year :laugh: Andersen is a solid, consistent goalie, but Vasi is one of the very best in the league.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Olofsson is a PP-goal MACHINE. 1-0 Buffalo. First guy to ever score his first 7 NHL goals on the power-play.

Go Sabres. Kick the Stars while they're down.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I see a not unrealistic scenario where the Stars take last in the Central. Afterall, this is a team that was floundering through Christmas last year until Jim Lites threw his franchise-players under the bus. They put together a nice 2nd half run to save their season, but are seemingly back to the pre-Lites-rant intensity. Chicago and Minnesota are going to pass them shortly with their games in hand, and their big off-season acquisitions of Pavelski & Perry don't solve their scoring problems. With Bishop not being super-human to this point I wouldn't be surprised to see them get off to such a horrendous start that they simply can't dig themselves out. I doubt another front-office outburst will garner the same reaction as it did last year; and Benn, Seguin & Radulov seem like a group completely capable of imploding as they've all had their hearts and effort questioned at various points throughout their careers. The rest of October is going to determine whether they're going to be in the race at all or not. They've got a stretch of winnable games coming up (@CBJ, @pit, @PHI, vs. OTT, vs. ANA, vs. PIT, vs. MIN) but if they don't get more points than they give away, this could quickly be a lost season in big D.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I see a not unrealistic scenario where the Stars take last in the Central. Afterall, this is a team that was floundering through Christmas last year until Jim Lites threw his franchise-players under the bus. They put together a nice 2nd half run to save their season, but are seemingly back to the pre-Lites-rant intensity. Chicago and Minnesota are going to pass them shortly with their games in hand, and their big off-season acquisitions of Pavelski & Perry don't solve their scoring problems. With Bishop not being super-human to this point I wouldn't be surprised to see them get off to such a horrendous start that they simply can't dig themselves out. I doubt another front-office outburst will garner the same reaction as it did last year; and Benn, Seguin & Radulov seem like a group completely capable of imploding as they've all had their hearts and effort questioned at various points throughout their careers. The rest of October is going to determine whether they're going to be in the race at all or not. They've got a stretch of winnable games coming up (@CBJ, @pit, @PHI, vs. OTT, vs. ANA, vs. PIT, vs. MIN) but if they don't get more points than they give away, this could quickly be a lost season in big D.
I'm surprised they're struggling this badly. They were very close to getting to the WCF and I think they would have beaten San Jose to make it to the final (and fallen to Boston). They have good young defenders, better than Colorado has. They SHOULD have enough firepower to be a playoff team. I actually really like their coach. But I think he may be given his walking papers before too long, unfairly. Maybe the player leadership is the real deficit, but I think that team as constructed can be a contender in the West. Its not a flawless roster by any means, but its better than most teams. I like them more than Calgary.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm surprised they're struggling this badly. They were very close to getting to the WCF and I think they would have beaten San Jose to make it to the final (and fallen to Boston). They have good young defenders, better than Colorado has. They SHOULD have enough firepower to be a playoff team. I actually really like their coach. But I think he may be given his walking papers before too long, unfairly. Maybe the player leadership is the real deficit, but I think that team as constructed can be a contender in the West. Its not a flawless roster by any means, but its better than most teams. I like them more than Calgary.
I've felt like Jamie Benn has looked like he's mailing it in more often than not, and teams tend to take on the personality of their leaders. I was far more shocked to see them get as far as they did last season than I am at their current situation.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Read that Chicago fans are really disappointed about Seabrook level and he has 6.875mill.$ x 4-years left including this current one. They speak Seabrook isn't NHL level dmen. Keith also has been bad and he has ~5.5mill.$ x 3 years + including this year.

Brent Seabrook - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Duncan Keith - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

LOVE IT!!!!

Seabrook’s contract was a boat anchor the day it was signed. I still don’t know why they did it. Keith’s is not as bad and he’s still useful. But this is pretty much expected.

Don't worry, there will be some mysterious illness Seabrook has been suffering from that hasn't been known to the media causing him to retire by the end of the season.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Call me shocked at the Oilers hot start. They have hardly any depth but the superstars are going gang busters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad