Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015
Ya Chicago has made some puzzling trades, I don't get why they traded Teravainen and Hartman those are good young players. And trading Panarin for Saad was absolutely preposterous.

Teravainen was traded because Hurricanes were not just going to take Bickell contract. Chicago had to sweeten the deal a little bit. Hartman traded kinda lost me, but I think with emergent of other players Hartman became somewhat expendable I am guessing in their sight.

Reactions: shpongle falls

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
One pattern/trend that seems to repeat itself is that cup winning and competitive teams spend their money on top. You don't see any middling players getting long term deals whatsoever.

Looking at Pittsburgh and Washington, outside of Eller I can't think of any depth piece that got a fat contract.

This is another reason I'm extremely glad we made the O'Reilly deal. We took two expensive middle six players and exchanged them for a legitimate #1C. The come up of cost controlled rookies allows us to sign Perron and Bozak (Perron at 4 years was a bit long for my taste) and all of a sudden were looking at a very deep and dangerous team. Those guys you use to plug in around your core guys should be on short term and ELC contracts.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
One pattern/trend that seems to repeat itself is that cup winning and competitive teams spend their money on top. You don't see any middling players getting long term deals whatsoever.

Looking at Pittsburgh and Washington, outside of Eller I can't think of any depth piece that got a fat contract.

This is another reason I'm extremely glad we made the O'Reilly deal. We took two expensive middle six players and exchanged them for a legitimate #1C. The come up of cost controlled rookies allows us to sign Perron and Bozak (Perron at 4 years was a bit long for my taste) and all of a sudden were looking at a very deep and dangerous team. Those guys you use to plug in around your core guys should be on short term and ELC contracts.

You're right, but I also think it's not that simple. Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, and Washington happened to have their elite players before anything else mattered - before they got good again. Paying them and building around them in such a situation is a natural necessity. You should still lock down and build around your core and be smart with contracts for support players, but it's not the same to begin with if you don't have players of that level.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Teravainen was traded because Hurricanes were not just going to take Bickell contract. Chicago had to sweeten the deal a little bit. Hartman traded kinda lost me, but I think with emergent of other players Hartman became somewhat expendable I am guessing in their sight.

Yeah, for a few years now the Hawks have been boxed in, and their strategy has amounted to trying to gently release air out of the valve as slowly as possible. They have made deals that on its face are objectively bad, but also mostly driven by realities of cap pressure.

Seabrook though. Seabrook is going to stick with them to the end.

dr-evil-laugh-gif-3.gif

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
You guys have forgetten Chicago has draft now 2-years high end prospects and this year 2 of them.

They will come Back.

Its nice you guys remind how Bad they are now, but it stings how many Cups they have won recently...

Reactions: A Real Barn Burner

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You guys have forgetten Chicago has draft now 2-years high end prospects and this year 2 of them.

They will come Back.

Its nice you guys remind how Bad they are now, but it stings how many Cups they have won recently...
I'd be surprised if they return to glory, their elite players are aging and wont be getting any younger, their new youth is good but not the next coming of Toews/Kane. They've only had 1 high pick and that was this year.....he's years out. The Hawks will never be Edmonton/Buffalo bad, but they will struggle

Reactions: Mike Liut

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I agree with Ranksu. They will be bottom of central this year but with a few more lottery picks and UFA signings they will be back in it. Couple that with some more cap dumps and the cap going up. Every 10 million dollar contract signed this year points to the fact that Chicago will have cap room moving forward despite Toews/Kane contracts. Also sooner or later Seabrook will contract Hossa Skin condition.

Hawks fans on thier board think they will be relevant again in 2020-2021. They can’t do a traditional tank because everyone on the team has a NMC. So an extended retool is essentially what they are doing. Get a bunch of top Picks on ELCs (New Core) and fill in the gaps around the Old Core.

Even if you think thier old core of Toews, Kieth and Seabrook won’t age well; I point to San Jose. For how long have the experts thought San Jose was over the hill with thier star player all over 30. Yet they remained a playoff team and managed to make a cup final. At least Chicago’s old core proved they can win it all at one point.

Just hope the Blues capitlize while they are down.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I agree with Ranksu. They will be bottom of central this year but with a few more lottery picks and UFA signings they will be back in it. Couple that with some more cap dumps and the cap going up. Every 10 million dollar contract signed this year points to the fact that Chicago will have cap room moving forward despite Toews/Kane contracts. Also sooner or later Seabrook will contract Hossa Skin condition.

Hawks fans on thier board think they will be relevant again in 2020-2021. They can’t do a traditional tank because everyone on the team has a NMC. So an extended retool is essentially what they are doing. Get a bunch of top Picks on ELCs (New Core) and fill in the gaps around the Old Core.

Even if you think thier old core of Toews, Kieth and Seabrook won’t age well; I point to San Jose. For how long have the experts thought San Jose was over the hill with thier star player all over 30. Yet they remained a playoff team and managed to make a cup final. At least Chicago’s old core proved they can win it all at one point.

Just hope the Blues capitlize while they are down.
In three years Keith will be 38 and Crawford will be 36.

Those are going to be two tremendous holes to fill, and the Hawks won't be relevant again until they do. Good ****ing luck landing replacements for both when you need them via UFA, so they better hope their draft picks turn out in a big way.

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015
In three years Keith will be 38 and Crawford will be 36.

Those are going to be two tremendous holes to fill, and the Hawks won't be relevant again until they do. Good ****ing luck landing replacements for both when you need them via UFA, so they better hope their draft picks turn out in a big way.

3 goalie prospects Delia, Forsberg and Lankinen. None of them stick out as being the next replacement for Crawford.

Defense wise Boqvist is little bit away from NHL. I don't know much about the other propsects on their team.

They don't have anyone to replace them.

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015
I'd be surprised if they return to glory, their elite players are aging and wont be getting any younger, their new youth is good but not the next coming of Toews/Kane. They've only had 1 high pick and that was this year.....he's years out. The Hawks will never be Edmonton/Buffalo bad, but they will struggle

This is what I see. I think they struggle for next 4-5 years at least unless they get a lot of help.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
We heard a lot of buzz about them having cap space after the Hossa deal, but what can they do with it? There aren't any attractive UFAs out there anymore that could make much of a difference, and anyone they acquire is almost certainly going to need young players and picks going back the other way, which slows down the re-build/re-tool. For all the credit they get for 3 Cups in 5 years, they don't seem to have much hope on the horizon of getting back to a Championship caliber team before Toews, Kane, Keith and Crawford retire. And the longer it takes, the less those guys will be able to contribute.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Wow, those contracts for Adam Lowry and Chris Tierney give a little different perspective on the much-maligned Berglund deal. Woof!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Wow, those contracts for Adam Lowry and Chris Tierney give a little different perspective on the much-maligned Berglund deal. Woof!

How so? The big problems with the Berglund contract was term and NTC. As far as cap hit, the cap is $6.5M higher now than when Bergie signed, so those guys are much less of the cap. Those two are roughly 3.2% of cap. Berglund was like 5.2% of where the cap was when he signed. And Tierny is coming off of a 40 point season. Berglund hadn't hit that in 5 years. Lowry is a bit rich, as he is closer to what Berglund was producing in offensive output, but its 2 less years and no NTC.

Lowry contract isn't great. Tierney's is pretty good. Berglund is still bad and worse than those two, unquestionably in my mind.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Is Kasperi Kapanen a 50 point 2nd line winger or a MPS clone? Because I hear he's blazing fast and has 2nd line offensive potential, but I also hear he's a 4th liner with speed. So what do you guys think? Because as usual Leaf fans highly overblow overvalue anyone who wears a Leaf on their sweater.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Is Kasperi Kapanen a 50 point 2nd line winger or a MPS clone? Because I hear he's blazing fast and has 2nd line offensive potential, but I also hear he's a 4th liner with speed. So what do you guys think? Because as usual Leaf fans highly overblow overvalue anyone who wears a Leaf on their sweater.

Grabner upside, which isn't horrible...but isn't top-6.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
How so? The big problems with the Berglund contract was term and NTC. As far as cap hit, the cap is $6.5M higher now than when Bergie signed, so those guys are much less of the cap. Those two are roughly 3.2% of cap. Berglund was like 5.2% of where the cap was when he signed. And Tierny is coming off of a 40 point season. Berglund hadn't hit that in 5 years. Lowry is a bit rich, as he is closer to what Berglund was producing in offensive output, but its 2 less years and no NTC.

Lowry contract isn't great. Tierney's is pretty good. Berglund is still bad and worse than those two, unquestionably in my mind.
Lowry has 90 points in 281 NHL regular season games (26 points per 82), 5 points in 21 playoff games, and hasn't yet shown the ability to be anything more than a 4th liner.

Tierney had 104 points in 284 NHL regular season games (30 points per 82), 12 points in 40 playoff games, and is a 3rd/4th line tweener.

I don't like either deal, but at least with Tierney there is some hope of playing him up in the lineup as needed, although I think they overpaid based on one good season. Before last year he was a 20-25 point guy. Both teams are supposed to be good teams. Both players shouldn't really be playing above the 4th line on a good team. I think it is wasteful to spend nearly $3M a year on a 4th line player, especially if you see yourself as a contender and need to spend money on your Top 6/Top 4.

All JMO, but I think both guys got overpaid and shouldn't have seen anything north of what we're paying Maroon.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Lowry has 90 points in 281 NHL regular season games (26 points per 82), 5 points in 21 playoff games, and hasn't yet shown the ability to be anything more than a 4th liner.

Tierney had 104 points in 284 NHL regular season games (30 points per 82), 12 points in 40 playoff games, and is a 3rd/4th line tweener.

I don't like either deal, but at least with Tierney there is some hope of playing him up in the lineup as needed, although I think they overpaid based on one good season. Before last year he was a 20-25 point guy. Both teams are supposed to be good teams. Both players shouldn't really be playing above the 4th line on a good team. I think it is wasteful to spend nearly $3M a year on a 4th line player, especially if you see yourself as a contender and need to spend money on your Top 6/Top 4.

All JMO, but I think both guys got overpaid and shouldn't have seen anything north of what we're paying Maroon.

So they are bad deals? I agree on the Lowry deal but disagree on Tierney. He scored at a solid 3rd/2nd line pace last year. It could have been a break-out year. Or he may drop back to earth. But term is only 2 years so no biggie. Berglund's contract is objectively worse in all facets: percentage of cap, term and NTC. I don't think he is better than either of those guys. He may have better career stats but its obvious he will never put up numbers like his first 2 years. He is a little better offensively than Lowry but worse on pure defense (ignoring possession). So even if those are bad deals, how does that make Berglund's deal seem better when his deal is worse. The MAroon deal has nothing to do with either since Maroon took a steep hometown discount and turned down offers with more term and money than either of those guys.

Anyway, Berglund's gone, so not really worth hashing out too much. My point was those contracts don't give me any different perspective on the Berglund trade. It was a half-million dollars, 2 years and an NTC too much. After seeing those deals, it is still half-million dollars, 2 years and an NTC too much.

Reactions: Shwabeal

PizzaPietrangelo

Bluesily optimistic
Jan 14, 2017
London, UK

I'm very surprised that they haven't listed Pietrangelo as part of our 'core'.

:skeptic:

He's our captain, signed through the same term as Schenn (who ESPN bothers to list as part of our 'core') and objectively one of the top d-men in the League.

Alas, this may be yet another example of how little the national media understands about the 'Note.

Hey, at least they still rank us #3 on the list!

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park

He's our captain, signed through the same term as Schenn (who ESPN bothers to list as part of our 'core') and objectively one of the top d-men in the League.

Alas, this may be yet another example of how little the national media understands about the 'Note.

"How is that determined? Given the average age of NHL players to begin the 2017-18 season was a shade over 27, we considered only players who are 27 or younger."

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Because he's too old for the list.

And Schenn is absolutely part of the core, I don't know why you put that in quotes...

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Wild and Dumba settle at 5 year, $6M AAV

Interesting. He's steadily improved every season and seemed to earn that contract laat season. If he continues to improve then that contract will be very good by the end. It also has the potential to be pretty bad. Good deal altogether I suppose. I'm good with Parayko at $5.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad