Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Of course the Hawks get to get rid of Hossa's contract. It's a bit ridiculous that Arizona can be carrying 3 potential hall of famers contracts.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Man it must be boring being a Hawks fan. All their GM does is trade for former players.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Man it must be boring being a Hawks fan. All their GM does is trade for former players.

Idk worried he is going to clean some cap for the bread man.

If the Hawks ever get rid of Seabrooks contract you know the FA’s will come out of the woodshed.

Couple that with a few high draft pick hitting a home run like Tampa Bay did the year they missed the playoffs and boom their right back in it.

Last edited:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Idk worried he is going to clean some cap for the bread man.

If the Hawks ever get rid of Seabrooks contract you know the FA’s will come out of the woodshed.

Couple that with a few high draft pick hitting a home run like Tampa Bay did the year they missed the playoffs and boom their right back in it.

They will have to pay a decent price to get out of that Seabrook contract. It’s one of the worst in the league, I think unloading it would be difficult. I know there’s this mystique around Chicago given their remarkable run but the truth is that roster just isn’t all that good. Toews is a ~55 point forward with a 10.5 million dollar cap hit. Schmaltz, DeBrincat are quality forwards and young. Kane is still a premier player. But outside of that, it’s meh at best with little depth. Most concerning for them though is a) Keith looked really bad last year. He’s played a ton of minutes and his decline is likely coming sooner rather than later and b) Crawford’s health is very much in the air from everything I’ve seen.

So while I’m not discounting them turning it around, it’s not as easy as clearing cap and hoping FA’s want to sign there.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Yeah, that Seabrook contract is going nowhere.

The Hossa contract really wasn't a hugely difficult contract to move. There are a few teams that are never near the cap, and its continued rise makes that easier. The issue for those teams is actual dollars, and Hossa is only due a total of $600k over the 3 seasons after insurance covers the 80% of the deal. Arizona moved far more actual dollars by sending the 1 year of Krüger back.

Seabrook? He's still owed $32.5m over 6 seasons. Nobody is touching that without a massive incentive.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
john taveres is a complete loser and i have lost tons of respect i had for him after reading that players article

this clown knew he was going to toronto the entire time and strung a bunch of teams along for the ride just for shits and giggles. what a joke.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Hopefully Chicago didn’t get rid of the Hossa contract to make room for Patches and Panarin.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Do they have the assets to make that trade? Thought they were pretty bare

Why wouldn’t they just wait until he’s FA next year? Seems like a waste of assets to me.

I know there’s uncertainty if you wait - he could be signed by another team...I just don’t see how they have the assets to do that though.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
They are stuck in a tough spot. Do they go for it with their current core and aging dmen/goalie? Or do they wait it out? They don’t have the youth movement needed to sustain their current core or to use as assets for improvement.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What are they trading to get Patches and/or Panarin? Can’t be Schmaltz or DeBrincat right? That’s their only 2 good young forwards.

They don’t have a good defense and if you’re moving Keith, then you might as well start over. Is Crawford even able to play?

I think they’re better off starting over. They knew this was coming. It’s the inevitable tradeoff to having the type of success they had. You’re drafting very late so you don’t have the blue chip prospects and eventually the stars that have been amazing for you wear down to become just average (Toews) to pretty bad (Seabrook).

But hey they got three cups out of it, so I doubt anyone over there is complaining too much.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I could see Patches retuning about the same as Kane. Kane was worth a 1st + C prospect. Panarin is a tough call.

Chicago hasn’t made any moves yet that would indicate they are rebuilding. It’s true they don’t have a lot in the pipeline but Q and Bowman are still running the team. It’s not going to shock me if they make some moves to have a run at the cup with this core. On the other hand, Patches has been available forever. Maybe Chicago re-evaluates near the TDL.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Chicago could have extended their window if they managed their assets better through the last couple years

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015
Chicago could have extended their window if they managed their assets better through the last couple years

This is SO TRUE!

Think about all the bad contracts they have traded away along with the good prospects so team would eat the contracts and along with players they had to dump because of their cap issue.
Only going to look at the bad trade or huge salary dump trades.

History of NHL trades by the Chicago Blackhawks - NHL Trade Tracker

Let's start back in the off-season after they won the cup in 09-10.

In that off-season they trade Byfuglien who had 1 year left on 3 mill dollar contract left to Atlanta.

Trade was Byfuglien, Eager, Sopel, & Aliu for Joey Crabb, Morin, Reasoner, 1st & 2nd. 1st pick was Kevin Hayes & 2nd was Justin Holl.

Crabb, Reasoner, Hayes, & Holl never played for Chicago. Morin played 54 games over 5 seasons and had 7 goals 9 assists.

Later they traded Ladd to Atlanta for Ivan Vishnevskiy & 2nd round pick who they took Adam Clendening, who played grand total of 4 games. Vishnevskiy never played for them.

Next off-season SALARY DUMP TRADES

Traded away Brian Campbell for Rostislav Olesz who played a grand total of 6 games for them before getting demoted to minors. (wonder who won that trade).
Traded Brouwer away for 1st roud pick Phillip Danault who played 32 games over 2 seasons.
Traded Kopecky for a conditional 7th round pick ( I don't think they even got a pick for him).

2012 Nothing much happen. Trade wise.

Traded Bolland away for 3 picks (in the end being a good trade since Bolland is hurt) but out of the 3 picks, Dahlstrom has played 11 games for Chicago.

2014 offseason right before season started.

Trade Nick Leddy to Islanders for Kent Simpson, T.J. Brennan, Ville Pokka, Anders Nilsson

Kent Simpson played 1 period for Chicago. Nilsson, Brennan & Pokka never played for Chicago.

Traded Raata to Rangers for Ryan Haggerty.
Haggerty no games for Chicago.

Traded away Brandon Saad, Alex Broadhurst, Michael Paliotta for Marko Dano, Artem Anisimov, Corey Troppm Jeremy Morin, 2016 4th round pick.
SALARY DUMP.

Traded Marko Dano & 2016 1st round pick for Andrew Ladd Jay Harrison Matt Fraser

Traded Philip Danault & 2018 2nd round pick for Dale Weise & Tomas Fleischmann

Off-season 2016

Traded Shaw away for 2 2nd round picks.

Traded Bickell & Teravainen for 2nd & 3rd round pick.

Off-season 2017

Hjamalrsson for Dauphin & Murphy

Panarin Motte & 6th for Saad Forsberg & 5th

Dumped Kruger on Vegas.

That is list of trades I can find where they made either huge dumps or got beat on a trade badly. It is much harder to look at the cap since capgeek isn't around and capfriendly doesn't go back that far (I wish it did).

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015

I figured out how to find old salary numbers so we can look at them now. We will look more at the big name players and salaries.

08-09
FA signing
Brian Campbell 8 years almost 57 mill
Cristobal Huet 4 years 22.5 mill

09-10

Signed FA Marian Hossa to that massive 12 year rough 63 mill

Gave extension to the following players.
Kane & Toews 5 years 31.5 mill
Keith 13 year 72 mill
Bolland 5 years 16.75 mill
Barker 3 year 9.25 mill
Versteeg 3 year 9.2 mill

10-11
Lost Niemi because they wouldn't pay him 2 mill after arbitration hearing.
Signed Marty Turco 1 year 1.3 mill (wonder how well that went)
Extension given to
Hjamalrsson 4 year 14 mill
Seabrook 5 year 29 mill
Bickell 3 year 1.625 mill

11-12
No big FA signing
Crawford 3 years 8 mill
Monatdor 4 year 11 mill
Frolik 3 year 7 mill
Sharp 5 year 29.5 mill
Oduya 3 year 10.125 mill

12-13
NOTHING MAJOR (some small deals for players)

13-14
No big FA signings
Extensions
Bickell 4 year 16 mill
Leddy 2 year 5.4 mill
Rozsival 2 year 4.4 mill
Kruger 2 year 2.65 mill
Crawford 6 year 36 mill
Hjamalrsson 5 year 20.5 mill
Shaw 2 year 4 mill
Bollig 3 year 3.75 mill

14-15
NO big FA (money wise) Signed Panarin this year
Extension
Smith 2 year 3 mill
Raanta 2 year 1.5 mill
Morin 2 year 1.6
Kane & Toews 8 years 84 each

15-16
No big FA money wise
Anisimov 5 years 22.75 mill
Desjardins 2 years 1.6 mil
Van Riemsdyk 2 year 1.65 mill
Kruger 1 year 1.5 mill (this was for 15-16, he signs 3 year deal later in season)
Seabrook 8 years 55 mill
Kruger 3 years 9.25 mill

16-17
Panarin 2 year 12 mill
Panik 2 year 5.6 mill

17-18
Gustafsson 1 year 650k
Gustafsson extension 2 year 2.4 mill
Rutta 1 year 2.3 mill

You start looking at some of these signings and think wow what were they thinking.......

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I figured out how to find old salary numbers so we can look at them now. We will look more at the big name players and salaries.

08-09
FA signing
Brian Campbell 8 years almost 57 mill
Cristobal Huet 4 years 22.5 mill

09-10

Signed FA Marian Hossa to that massive 12 year rough 63 mill

Gave extension to the following players.
Kane & Toews 5 years 31.5 mill
Keith 13 year 72 mill
Bolland 5 years 16.75 mill
Barker 3 year 9.25 mill
Versteeg 3 year 9.2 mill

10-11
Lost Niemi because they wouldn't pay him 2 mill after arbitration hearing.
Signed Marty Turco 1 year 1.3 mill (wonder how well that went)
Extension given to
Hjamalrsson 4 year 14 mill
Seabrook 5 year 29 mill
Bickell 3 year 1.625 mill

11-12
No big FA signing
Crawford 3 years 8 mill
Monatdor 4 year 11 mill
Frolik 3 year 7 mill
Sharp 5 year 29.5 mill
Oduya 3 year 10.125 mill

12-13
NOTHING MAJOR (some small deals for players)

13-14
No big FA signings
Extensions
Bickell 4 year 16 mill
Leddy 2 year 5.4 mill
Rozsival 2 year 4.4 mill
Kruger 2 year 2.65 mill
Crawford 6 year 36 mill
Hjamalrsson 5 year 20.5 mill
Shaw 2 year 4 mill
Bollig 3 year 3.75 mill

14-15
NO big FA (money wise) Signed Panarin this year
Extension
Smith 2 year 3 mill
Raanta 2 year 1.5 mill
Morin 2 year 1.6
Kane & Toews 8 years 84 each

15-16
No big FA money wise
Anisimov 5 years 22.75 mill
Desjardins 2 years 1.6 mil
Van Riemsdyk 2 year 1.65 mill
Kruger 1 year 1.5 mill (this was for 15-16, he signs 3 year deal later in season)
Seabrook 8 years 55 mill
Kruger 3 years 9.25 mill

16-17
Panarin 2 year 12 mill
Panik 2 year 5.6 mill

17-18
Gustafsson 1 year 650k
Gustafsson extension 2 year 2.4 mill
Rutta 1 year 2.3 mill

You start looking at some of these signings and think wow what were they thinking.......
Excellent In depth research

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Ya Chicago has made some puzzling trades, I don't get why they traded Teravainen and Hartman those are good young players. And trading Panarin for Saad was absolutely preposterous.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Okay, do you guys think Ryan Reaves is worth 2 years and over five and a half million dollars?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Okay, do you guys think Ryan Reaves is worth 2 years and over five and a half million dollars?

No, but it doesn't really matter unless the team he's on is up against the cap. If you have some space, it can be worth it to overpay a bit to get the guy you want - especially if the alternative is that he signs with a rival. Reaves isn't a very good player, but I can see why you'd want him and why you wouldn't want to play against him.

Reactions: shpongle falls
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->