Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
twitter is amazing tonight. check it out, especially the 2 teams and nhl's timelines.

the entire world, minus shark fans, are totally taking a dump on the league and officiating. this is gonna be a HUGE black eye for hockey and i can understand why.

hopefully this is a massive wakeup call to this league to stop letting officials be total clowns out there and start holding them accountable.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
giphy.gif

5 min major LMFAO

Ref Jose
I hope that ref doesn't play anymore in these playoffs.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Does it bother anyone else that you look at the officiating in the first round and realize some of these guys are going to be working the 2nd round, plus the conference finals and finals? And you really cannot point to more than maybe one guy and say, "that guy's a pretty decent referee, I'd be totally fine with him working our games?" [And no, I have no idea who that one guy is; I'm giving major benefit of the doubt here.]
Wes McCauley is the best ref in the league. Players have voted him as that multiple times, and I can’t remember any instances he’s really blown.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Vegas PK on that call was beyond pathetic, but isn't it amazing that we get a 5 minute major called when no referee initially signalled a penalty call? We see that crap too often.

It's a certainty that we'll see all 5 minute majors being reviewed soon. Ridiculous that it isn't already the case. As much as Vegas have themselves to blame for a terrible PK, they shouldn't have been in that situation and they were cheated out of a lead they spent 50 minutes building.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
in the replay it looks like pavelski literally lost his balance trying to jostle for position with eakin and accidentally hurt himself landing awkward

bad assumption by the refs and a gift wrapped situation for the sharks when their coffin was nearly nailed shut

refs shouldn't affect a game like that. sharks had zero chance to win that game until the invented call. vegas is entirely to blame for collapsing on tilted ice. giving up four goals in 2:48 just can't happen but neither can the imaginary call.

FrontYardSpecial

Jan 22, 2014

refs shouldn't affect a game like that. sharks had zero chance to win that game until the invented call. vegas is entirely to blame for collapsing on tilted ice. giving up four goals in 2:48 just can't happen but neither can the imaginary call.

According to MoneyPuck.com’s in-game probabilities, the Sharks actually had a 1.2 percent chance to win the game prior to the penalty :sarcasm:

In all serious when I was watching the game, I was in utter disbelief that Gallant never called a timeout after the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th goals. SAP Center was rocking and the Vegas PK was in shambles. Is there a rule I’m not aware of that prevents that?

I was pulling for Vegas but am intrigued to see how Colorado’s speed matches up with San Jose’s lack thereof over the course of the series.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
That play happens on almost every single faceoff. Stastny honestly deserved the minor for interference, but again, that type of interference happens every draw. Guys are scrambling for position trying to get out to cover their man or get to the front of the net. It sucks that Pavelski was hurt so badly, but it was completely inadvertent. Guys were just battling for position and Pavelski fell awkwardly. It's once again the league punishing the result of the play and not the action. Nothing Stastny nor Eakin did was predatory or attempted to hurt Pavelski in any way and I guarantee Joe would say the same thing. He just lost his balance, which can happen when you're balancing on an eighth of an inch of steel. Vegas is to blame for that awful PK, and Gallant definitely deserves some blame for not calling a timeout in any of that sequence, but the refs are far more to blame. That was brutal officiating and they should be held accountable for it in some way.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That play happens on almost every single faceoff. Stastny honestly deserved the minor for interference, but again, that type of interference happens every draw. Guys are scrambling for position trying to get out to cover their man or get to the front of the net. It sucks that Pavelski was hurt so badly, but it was completely inadvertent. Guys were just battling for position and Pavelski fell awkwardly. It's once again the league punishing the result of the play and not the action. Nothing Stastny nor Eakin did was predatory or attempted to hurt Pavelski in any way and I guarantee Joe would say the same thing. He just lost his balance, which can happen when you're balancing on an eighth of an inch of steel. Vegas is to blame for that awful PK, and Gallant definitely deserves some blame for not calling a timeout in any of that sequence, but the refs are far more to blame. That was brutal officiating and they should be held accountable for it in some way.
NHL explanation is that there was a crosscheck (which is correct) and he suffered injury (he did) so they assessed major for this. Seems similar to felony murder doctrine in that even though Eakins didn't intend to cause this injury, his illegal act resulted in it and he has to bear the consequences. Not sure I agree with this, as doesn't seem to be standard typically applied, but that is what official league explanation said.

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010
I think the crosscheck was excessive but that shouldn't have been a major and the fact that the call was made as a result of the injury rather than actually seeing a malicious act of aggression, the referees completely screwed this one up.

But man...how the heck do you fold like that on the ensuing power play? That looked like beer league PK strategy.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Never seen anything like that.

Eakin gets Pavelski in the chest and he just falls awkwardly.

Props to SJ for that comeback but the refs completely gave them that game.

Unreal.

Well, to be fair Stas helped slam Pavekski to the ice WWE style. But I don't think it waranted a major.

Double minor I could understand with the resulting bleeding pressure cut, because you can't prove it wasn't the crosscheck that caused the bleed.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well, to be fair Stas helped slam Pavekski to the ice WWE style. But I don't think it waranted a major.

Double minor I could understand with the resulting bleeding pressure cut, because you can't prove it wasn't the crosscheck that caused the bleed.
Lol.....what? :laugh:
If that's a WWF style slam....then that's another reason why it's one of the crappiest "sports" in existence.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I was ambivalent until the injury, then I was pulling for the Sharks. It was compelling drama, and their team looks like its running on fumes. If they could somehow eliminate the Knights it makes an easier path for the Blues. I think the Knights were the next most difficult opponent left in the conference.

I think a major for that penalty was harsh, but I guess the presence of blood = injury = automatic major? I am not that clear on this rule.

But if you'd asked me right after the major was called, "Which team would you want to be?" I'd take the 3 goal lead and kill off the damn penalty. I don't have much sympathy for the Knights on that one. And that game had a LOT of penalties for a game 7. I think the refs had a tough job, since the series was so nasty.

I see no way the Sharks have enough gas to go far. Probably Colorado is the favorite next round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->