Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
7 games started so far, the home team has scored first in all 7. If tonight's games in progress end as the scores indicate, home teams will be 3-4 in the playoffs and the three winning teams will have all not trailed in their games.

Reactions: mk80

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I still contend Marner is the best forward on the Leafs. Close between him and Tavares, but I think those two are definitely 1-2.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Matthew Tkachuk is a STL native and I should be rooting for him, but I get the sense that he's an @hole out on the ice. Am I wrong?

Reactions: mk80

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Matthew Tkachuk is a STL native and I should be rooting for him, but I get the sense that he's an @hole out on the ice. Am I wrong?
if hes anything like his dad, he will be a total nonfactor in the playoffs.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
if hes anything like his dad, he will be a total nonfactor in the playoffs.
Well, he's not so far. Would love to have him on my team.

In other news, the fact that Avs fans hated Backes so much but gush over Landeskog is one of the funniest things in hockey. Landy is far dirtier and always has been.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Flames look good but Mike Smith is not a Cup capable goaltender. It wont last.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Then you downgrade elsewhere. Nylander in particular I think might be gone.
He's the obvious name, but Leafs fans go on about some deal between Nylander and Dubas that he won't get traded. I'd probably believe that kind of stupid agreement is a possibility given how badly Dubas has handled contracts so far.

Some team with cap space is in a perfect position to get a lot of value back from the Leafs. The cost certainty of Pesce still makes me think that there will be a deal done there.

Reactions: OSA

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

think its impossible to keep him without doing some pretty serious downgrades elsewhere

None of the downgrades will be a larger downgrade than losing Marner. You are correct that they will have to make some downgrades, but they will do that instead of losing Marner.

Also, their cap situation for next year isn't as bad as it appears on cap friendly. The number currently listed includes Horton's contract and he will clearly be on LTIR again. So even though it says that they only have $3.7 mil in space, that doesn't account for that fact that LTIR will allow them to also exceed the cap by $5.3 mil. Practically speaking, they have $9 mil in space before any increase in the cap, which will almost certainly be another $2 mil or so.

There is going to be some pain for them next year, but losing Marner would be by far the most painful result. Marleau coming off the books after the 19/20 season will create breathing room and allow them to plug holes created to make the cap work this summer. 1 step back year in order to keep Tavares/Matthews/Marner together is significantly less painful than losing Marner.

With all of that said, I think Nylander gets moved this summer. There is no chance that an NHL GM committed to a handshake NMC lasting several years. I can buy that there was an agreement that he wouldn't be signed and immediately traded, but he is fair game this summer. Move him for a top 4 D man making $4.5 mil and suddenly you have opened up another $2.5 mil in cap space and taken a step to improve the blue line (they won't get a Gardiner level replacement at that price for Nylander, but shoring up that blue line is a bigger priority than keeping every forward).

Edit: Marleau turns 40 in September and I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that this is his last season. If he wants to be done, I wouldn't be surprised to see the leafs pay his bonus on July 1 and then pay a mid-round pick to the Sens for them to absorb the cap hit of a guy who isn't going to play. The Sens would then only owe $1.25 mil in order to get a $6.25 cap hit, which is an incredible contract if their plan is to just hit the floor while minimizing payroll. Obviously that is all contingent on Marleau wanting to be done, but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility for a 39 year old.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Flames look good but Mike Smith is not a Cup capable goaltender. It wont last.
Not for nothing, but Smith now has a career .947 in the playoffs over a 20 game sample size. 15 of his 18 playoff starts were quality starts and he never really faded when he took the Coyotes to a Conference Final in 2012. He posted a .936 in a 5 game series loss to LA in the Conference Final that year.

He is an incredibly streaky goalie that is way too emotional for his own good over an 82 game season. But I'm not sure that this emotion is a bad thing in the playoffs and he has demonstrated that he is capable of sustaining elite level play for a lengthy period in the playoffs.

I won't be surprised if he implodes, but so far there is no actual evidence that he isn't a Cup-caliber playoff goalie. He is the all time NHL leader in career playoff SV% among goalies with 5+ games played.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
None of the downgrades will be a larger downgrade than losing Marner. You are correct that they will have to make some downgrades, but they will do that instead of losing Marner.

Also, their cap situation for next year isn't as bad as it appears on cap friendly. The number currently listed includes Horton's contract and he will clearly be on LTIR again. So even though it says that they only have $3.7 mil in space, that doesn't account for that fact that LTIR will allow them to also exceed the cap by $5.3 mil. Practically speaking, they have $9 mil in space before any increase in the cap, which will almost certainly be another $2 mil or so.

There is going to be some pain for them next year, but losing Marner would be by far the most painful result. Marleau coming off the books after the 19/20 season will create breathing room and allow them to plug holes created to make the cap work this summer. 1 step back year in order to keep Tavares/Matthews/Marner together is significantly less painful than losing Marner.

With all of that said, I think Nylander gets moved this summer. There is no chance that an NHL GM committed to a handshake NMC lasting several years. I can buy that there was an agreement that he wouldn't be signed and immediately traded, but he is fair game this summer. Move him for a top 4 D man making $4.5 mil and suddenly you have opened up another $2.5 mil in cap space and taken a step to improve the blue line (they won't get a Gardiner level replacement at that price for Nylander, but shoring up that blue line is a bigger priority than keeping every forward).

Edit: Marleau turns 40 in September and I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that this is his last season. If he wants to be done, I wouldn't be surprised to see the leafs pay his bonus on July 1 and then pay a mid-round pick to the Sens for them to absorb the cap hit of a guy who isn't going to play. The Sens would then only owe $1.25 mil in order to get a $6.25 cap hit, which is an incredible contract if their plan is to just hit the floor while minimizing payroll. Obviously that is all contingent on Marleau wanting to be done, but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility for a 39 year old.
I don't think Sens will be looking to do Leafs any favors. Someone (Coyotes?) might help for reasonable price, but Toronto would likely need to pay Sens dearly to do it.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Marleau isnt walking away from a team that is contending for the cup. The leafs Cap crunch shouldnt play any role in him finishing his contract. He's still an effective Vet.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don't think Sens will be looking to do Leafs any favors. Someone (Coyotes?) might help for reasonable price, but Toronto would likely need to pay Sens dearly to do it.
Its a favor for the Sens, and they would probably get an asset along with it from Toronto. It saves them real dollars, even the Canadian ones.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
if blue jackets win this series (they will choke most likely, they do it every postseason) i think it will be the greatest first round upset in NHL history

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Its a favor for the Sens, and they would probably get an asset along with it from Toronto. It saves them real dollars, even the Canadian ones.
Sens hate Toronto though. This is franchise that didn’t want to trade EK in conference. Would have to really help Sens I think to do Leafs favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad