Around the NHL - Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner will be a UFA in 5 years...if the Point does the same as you suggested above, he would also be a UFA in 5 years, but how much is Point's AAV over the 5 years compared to Marners? We already know he's only getting $6.75 x 3 currently. One player helped his team by signing a good bridge deal, leaving plenty of money on the table, while another one bent his team over.

Marner signed a 6 year deal. Which bought up a year of free agency.

Point may give the team a fair deal once the bridge is up, but he may not. Hes entirely in the driver's seat now.

Reactions: Havoc and kb

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Had completely forgotten about him. This was apparently his rookie season at the age of 25.

Didn't exactly have a great season either, but good for him
He cracked a good roster and eventually got pushed out with their late season additions. He didn't light the league on fire, but he wasn't supposed to and I'm sure most of us are surprised he carved out an NHL career.

Tough break to get the hook for the deciding Stanley Cup game though. It's almost amazing that we had 3 former players that didn't see a minute in the deciding game.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Congrats to Tampa! They deserved it. Best team in the league over the past 3 years, and pretty dominant throughout the playoffs.

Interestingly, their worst series in goal differential this playoffs ended up being... Columbus. ;)

Reactions: Smif and kb

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Marner signed a 6 year deal. Which bought up a year of free agency.

Point may give the team a fair deal once the bridge is up, but he may not. Hes entirely in the driver's seat now.

For Point to be making what Marner is making over the 6 years, he would need to be getting over $15 million per for 3 years after his bridge deal ends, and I don't see that happening...Point will probably settle for the Kucherov deal or maybe $1 million more per...meanwhile, Marner probably can't wait to get to UFA status so that he could bend over the Leafs for more money as a UFA.

Reactions: ToneDog

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Had completely forgotten about him. This was apparently his rookie season at the age of 25.

Didn't exactly have a great season either, but good for him

There's a couple former Leaf prospects put up pretty solid AHL seasons lately in V and Stuart Percy.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Congrats to Tampa! They deserved it. Best team in the league over the past 3 years, and pretty dominant throughout the playoffs.

Interestingly, their worst series in goal differential this playoffs ended up being... Columbus. ;)

Goals for seemed to be more important than goals against, though the ultimate winner was a team good at both.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I kind of want to see the Rangers actually go all in on Jack Eichel - just to realize he's a dud when it comes to being a winner and hand over the Sabres a kings ransom that turns them into a lean and mean checking team.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Food for thought. The only 3 Tampa forwards who got more than 18 minutes of ice time in the cup winning game were Cirelli, Killorn, and Goodrow.

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019
I'm sure now they don't care in the slightest since they won.

If they hadn't they would have. Every gamble comes with risks and rewards with no guarantee which one you'll get. And they'll still have a cost to pay once Points deal is over

Watch Tampa get Point on a better contract than Marner when the next 2 years are up. I'd bet my mortgage on it.

Reactions: supermann_98

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Watch Tampa get Point on a better contract than Marner when the next 2 years are up. I'd bet my mortgage on it.
And they will still have to ship out more players anyway, just like this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->