Around the NHL - Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I told you what happened, they had cap space to go out and improve their team in the offseason and at the deadline. If Dubas had got Marner signed to a similar deal to Braden Point we would be able to do the same.
You are dodging the point. Lightning had great contracts last year yet lost in 4 to the 8th place team? Why didn't they win if great contracts was the reason they won this year?
Anyways that wasn't the reason they won, so no point in discussing it. They just finally took the next step.

Reactions: kb

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I told you what happened, they had cap space to go out and improve their team in the offseason and at the deadline. If Dubas had got Marner signed to a similar deal to Braden Point we would be able to do the same.

There's a trade off.

Points bridge deal is structured so he gets qualified at a minimum of 9 mil aav and he holds arbitration rights at the end of it. If he takes the team to that and gets awarded a 2 year deal he walks straight to free agency.

Tampa gambled for short term capspace over longer term stability. It paid off with the cup, but it will have consequences for their team

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I already knew, but watching the Lightning this playoffs made it sink in how ridiculously far the Leafs are from actually being a competitor.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Amazing what happens when you have good contracts and live a state with low taxes and great weather. We can't duplicate this.

Reactions: TopChedder

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There's a trade off.

Points bridge deal is structured so he gets qualified at a minimum of 9 mil aav and he holds arbitration rights at the end of it. If he takes the team to that and gets awarded a 2 year deal he walks straight to free agency.

Tampa gambled for short term capspace over longer term stability. It paid off with the cup, but it will have consequences for their team

As if they care, they just won a cup. Where is ours again? How long? They won a cup because damn good managers and coaches who got good players and got them to work hard.

Reactions: ToneDog

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
We didn't buy at the TDL because we were a bubble team, not good enough to mortgage the future for short gains. Tampa was all in this year spending two 1sts and a former 1st at the deadline.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As if they care, they just won a cup. Where is ours again? How long? They won a cup because damn good managers and coaches who got good players and got them to work hard.

I'm sure now they don't care in the slightest since they won.

If they hadn't they would have. Every gamble comes with risks and rewards with no guarantee which one you'll get. And they'll still have a cost to pay once Points deal is over

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
You are dodging the point. Lightning had great contracts last year yet lost in 4 to the 8th place team? Why didn't they win if great contracts was the reason they won this year?
Anyways that wasn't the reason they won, so no point in discussing it. They just finally took the next step.
I never claimed getting their core locked down to good contracts would win them the cup every year.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Amazing what happens when you have good contracts and live a state with low taxes and great weather. We can't duplicate this.

Yeah. But at least the 27 fans they have in Florida can pretend they care.

Yeah I am salty as I want the Leafs to win someday and have a fanbase be happy that deserves it.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Saying Bolts won because they had good contracts. The exact thing this boards rips Dubas for. Thats the narrative.
It’s not just this board that rips Dubas for those contracts, he gets ripped all over the hockey world for them. He was voted by player agents as their favourite GM to negotiate with. Those kids were RFAs with no arb rights, he had all the leverage and they took him to the cleaners. If he can’t sign an RFA to a good deal what’s he gonna do with our important upcoming UFAs like Rielly and Hyman?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
There's a trade off.

Marner will be a UFA in 5 years...if the Point does the same as you suggested above, he would also be a UFA in 5 years, but how much is Point's AAV over the 5 years compared to Marners? We already know he's only getting $6.75 x 3 currently. One player helped his team by signing a good bridge deal, leaving plenty of money on the table, while another one bent his team over.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

We have a GM who's got no credibility...imagine going into the negotiation table with one of the best hockey players ever in Stevie Y? He probably just looks at you across the table and tells you straight...no fake glasses and a big smile...Stevie Y knows it takes a TEAM to win a championship, not a few money hungry individuals. We all saw what happened to Drouin and Stamkos...Stevie Y wouldn't budge on his offer to Stamkos and traded Drouin's a55 out of there for the now Cup champ Sergachev...I don't doubt Stevie Y would have shipped Marner out of Toronto if he was the GM and saw that kind of theatrics during negotiations and the price they were demanding.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We have a GM who's got no credibility...imagine going into the negotiation table with one of the best hockey players ever in Stevie Y? He probably just looks at you across the table and tells you straight...no fake glasses and a big smile...Stevie Y knows it takes a TEAM to win a championship, not a few money hungry individuals. We all saw what happened to Drouin and Stamkos...Stevie Y wouldn't budge on his offer to Stamkos and traded Drouin's a55 out of there for the now Cup champ Sergachev...I don't doubt Stevie Y would have shipped Marner out of Toronto if he was the GM and saw that kind of theatrics during negotiations and the price they were demanding.

Drouin was a 50 point winger who mostly looked like crap in Tampa... He had no leg on which to stand, and was not even a core player for them. That is a deal any GM with a brain would have taken, because Sergachyev was well worth the risk of a guy who looked like he was topping out as a 2nd line winger at best. I am sure if Kapanen or Johnsson held Dubas at gun point in their negotiations they would have been traded too.

As for Stamkos, he received more money than he would have got anywhere else once Yzerman decided to front load and put a ton of signing bonuses into his deal. His main rumoured interest, Buffalo and Toronto, could not compete with the extra year and the income tax difference, so once Yzerman stepped up the other stuff, the AAV was fine.

Yzerman was definitely a factor, but Brisebois, Plandowski/Murray (Director of Amateur Scouting), etc. were all up there as well. They contributed big time to the success of that team. Even then it took a long time, and a lot of ups and downs, for them to finally figure it out and win... Just like Washington and St. Louis before them. And BTW, Brisebois has as much NHL GM experience as Dubas, so he did not exactly have more credibility. He was a rookie GM who spent a number of years as Assistant GM before taking over for a more experienced guy. Obviously, the caveat being that Yzerman left Tampa in much better shape than Lou left Toronto.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Tampa Bay Lightning Transactions

Be my guest. Pick out a UFA signing or trade since their sweep that the Leafs can't do. They're all the same cheap signings we plan to do after we bring in a no.2.

What really helped Tampa was Cirelli's ELC sliding in 16/17, Sergachev being ELC and Cernak on ELC. Cernak's contract slid twice.

Coleman + Maroon + Goodrow is approximately Kerfoot. There's our problem. 3 million third liners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smif

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
There's a trade off.

Point doesn't seem douchy like Marner though. Point will likely sign a long term deal south of 10 mil once his contract is up.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I already knew, but watching the Lightning this playoffs made it sink in how ridiculously far the Leafs are from actually being a competitor.
Last year, St Louis and Boston, was even worse, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad