OT: Around the NHL - Conference Finals N'at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If you read HF Pens, you'd think Murray's the only goalie in the history of the NHL who gets beat on the glove side. Nobody ever, ever lets in a long range shot glove side except Murray.

Glove is Murray’s weakest point but definitely not the reason he’s been one of the worst starters in the NHL this year.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
See how quickly things can change in the playoffs?

After game 1..Bruins and Vegas were the favorites.

Now Tampa looks like they are. Sharks are looking like they are even with the Knights.

Anything can happen. If we dont win this year its because of injuries..period. if those guys dont go down(and kessel) we arent focusing on the D making mistakes and Murray letting those in. And the depth guys (who are in primary roles now) not responding.

With how good our first line is, if we stayed healthy...honestly think this would.have been the year we won scoring 4-5 goals a game. 90s style . I dont see any goalie/team stopping our offense at 100%.

Just hoping we can pull off this series and get healthy.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Boedeker and hertl are all over the ice for sj Putting on a clinic

The teams that are bouncing back are the teams who are getting contributions from their depth or secondary scoring. Tampa with the Point/Johnson/Palat line, plus the Cirelli line. San Jose, the Couture/Hertl line has been fantastic.

That's exactly what's killing the Pens right now. We've got one line doing everything, and when they're not on the ice the Pens do nothing.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The teams that are bouncing back are the teams who are getting contributions from their depth or secondary scoring. Tampa with the Point/Johnson/Palat line, plus the Cirelli line. San Jose, the Couture/Hertl line has been fantastic.

That's exactly what's killing the Pens right now. We've got one line doing everything, and when they're not on the ice the Pens do nothing.

I feel like regardless, if the Pens win the next game they win the series.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I feel like regardless, if the Pens win the next game they win the series.

Based on? I mean, maybe I'm being pessimistic, but the Pens have a lot of question marks that need answering before I'll believe they're ready to move past Washington.

A lot will depend on *how* they beat the Caps tomorrow (assuming they do). If it's the Crosby line providing all the offense, with Murray standing on his head, I won't feel confident going forward. It's going to have to be a full team effort, with multiple lines contributing, and the team playing well defensively for me to start being optimistic.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Based on? I mean, maybe I'm being pessimistic, but the Pens have a lot of question marks that need answering before I'll believe they're ready to move past Washington.

A lot will depend on *how* they beat the Caps tomorrow (assuming they do). If it's the Crosby line providing all the offense, with Murray standing on his head, I won't feel confident going forward. It's going to have to be a full team effort, with multiple lines contributing, and the team playing well defensively for me to start being optimistic.

My answer is essentially Malkin, who I think tilts the series the Pens direction if they win.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
just had a #showerthought: 4 of the remaining teams have players from the back to back Pens (VGK, Nashville, TB, and Pens...duh). By random luck, all 4 teams are currently playing in different series in the second round. There is a chance that all 4 teams make it into the conference finals. If that was to happen, there would be a guaranteed threepeat player.

On the flip side, there is also a chance that all 4 teams are eliminated this round and there will be no threepeat player.

Reactions: ETA

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Butterfly means your glove is always your weakness. That’s how the Pens score too.

Right... but Murray’s glove is undeniably weak relative to most other starters, but his positional strength made up for it, before this year anyway.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I haven't watched much of the series, but the Knights keep saying the Sharks get away with "pick plays" (subtle obstruction?). Is this true?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I haven't watched much of the series, but the Knights keep saying the Sharks get away with "pick plays" (subtle obstruction?). Is this true?

They did a segment on this during the CBC intermission

Game Recap:

0:54 Very blatant- sharks player hooks the chasing LV player, they missed the call

In another instance the puck carrier went around the net and there was a sharks player standing near the net so the player chasing had to take a wider angle. It was very subtle.

Late in the game, a SJ player was standing between the crease and bottom of the circle and he took out a LV player's feet that was trying to move towards the puck carrier- the officials did tag him for a penalty

Noticed the Sharks are coming with a ton of speed BEHIND the net and creating their offense from there. This was the first time I was able to watch LV/SJ so unsure if this is a new strategy or what

Reactions: BHD

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I mean, that’s how we have won the cup the past two years.

Not sure, who doesn’t do it and with the way these idiot refs make calls why wouldn’t you?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
What the Knights are trying get at it, though, is the Sharks get away with more than other teams.

Anyways, it's a moot point.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lots of frustration from Lv tonight ,usually don't see them this flustered

They've been playing over their heads since the puck dropped in October. Shit was about to level out at some point, but even then, that's one of the most successful expansion franchise debut's in history, nothing to be sad about if they're out in 6. In the second freaking round no less. Hell, the Leafs can't even figure that out and it's been what, 15yrs since the last time they made it out of the 1st round? Lol.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh

I just saw this. Two takes:

Holy shit Byfuglien is a beast. A part of me wishes Shero would have went after him back in the day when he was collecting players. Not sure how it would have worked out, but would have made losing more fun.

And watch Subban at the end, about 1:07 into the video. I've never seen anything so pathetic. He's standing over a player on the ice and then crosschecks him, then receives it back from another Jet that observed it, and then Subban flops to the ice like was leg swept. He CRAWLS to the bench and acts hurt. I've never seen anything like this before. How is this guy a hockey player?

I've seriously lost all respect for Subban. Dude is awful.

Reactions: ETA and Clare2904
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad