OT: Around the NHL: Cernak for Conn Smythe

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I think the reality is the sport is predominantly a white, rich boy sport and inherently these type of people are going to think they can do whatever they want and people of other classes, genders and races are beneath them. That’s just the honest and dark side of hockey regardless of what anyone tries to sell it as.

There is no African American center in the NHL. How bizarre is that?
how many white centers in the nba? just asking i don't watch.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Did Seth say something about them? Share with the class.

Honestly I'm not sure. BFD would know... twas just an off-the-cuff comment by me predicated on that team being coached by a giant douchenozzle and what sounded like a potentially toxic locker room.

How long was Torts the coach of that team?

Six years... though it seemed longer. What boggles my mind are how many fans stepped up to defend that cretin when it was obvious years ago he was part of the problem. But regular season winning percentage, or something. I guess when the bar is in the cellar it's easy to jump over.

Wish they wouldn't have fired him, honestly. They would have wallowed around in mediocrity that much longer.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I love that all of the Flyers moves essentially scream “we’re done with our rebuild” as they get older, generally more expensive, and sacrifice youth and futures. But they players they’re getting are essentially only marginally better and cost way more. It’s like they’re determined to go all in, with a pretty weak hand, even if they shorten their cup window and aren’t real cup contending material.

We’ve seen this from them before, but in reverse. Doing an about face and embarking on a youth movement and shipping core players in the dry island era when they seemed like they’d be hunting for a cup very soon. That still got them a competitive team but that young core is now in their 30s and going or already gone.

Fletcher, keep up the good work my man.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Honestly I'm not sure. BFD would know... twas just an off-the-cuff comment by me predicated on that team being coached by a giant douchenozzle and what sounded like a potentially toxic locker room.

The Laine stuff is the usual bad Euro translation thing, but Jarmo (I actually still have his hockey card, haha) is an awful GM. He's screwed the pooch with this team so often, Torts being around as long as he was isn't even the shocking thing.

There was an article a couple of years ago that stated that Agents and possibly others didn't like dealing with Jarmo as he always played things off like "this is the way it is..." type of stuff. It shows in how his players leave via free agency or even when RFA's. He's always had trouble keeping them.

Panarin bounced.
Anderson wanted out.
Jones didn't want to re-sign.

I think over his career, the two biggest free agents he's ever signed are Dubinsky and Foligno, am I missing anyone? That's rough.

Six years... though it seemed longer. What boggles my mind are how many fans stepped up to defend that cretin when it was obvious years ago he was part of the problem. But regular season winning percentage, or something. I guess when the bar is in the cellar it's easy to jump over.

Wish they wouldn't have fired him, honestly. They would have wallowed around in mediocrity that much longer.
People here still defend Sullivan as a great coach, it's like victims that try to protect their victimizer, lol.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
People here still defend Sullivan as a great coach, it's like victims that try to protect their victimizer, lol.

I'm not sure if it's really exclusive to hockey (doubt it) but this sport seems to have an abnormal amount of fans that stan worthless-ass coaches far past their expirations date.

Oh forgot Nyquist.

Also, lol, Voracek is probably like "f***, I thought I finally freed myself from here..."

Carter trade full circle lol

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not sure if it's really exclusive to hockey (doubt it) but this sport seems to have an abnormal amount of fans that stan worthless-ass coaches far past their expirations date.

Carter trade full circle lol

Yeah, that CBJ deal for Voracek is f***ing hilarious. Jarmo got bent over three times in that deal.

Also in regards to coaching, the whole Hawks thing reminds me of the story I read about Chico Andrahta. That story is not for the weak, it's disturbing and I hope it's used by the victims to take the Hawks to task.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also in regards to coaching, the whole Hawks thing reminds me of the story I read about Chico Andrahta. That story is not for the weak, it's disturbing and I hope it's used by the victims to take the Hawks to task.

Ugh. How didn't I know about this? Really awful stuff.

Dude was coaching at RMU as recently as 2018 because of f***ing COURSE he was. Gross.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So the original deal:

Voracek + 1st (Couturier) and 3rd (Cousins) to the Flyers for Jeff Carter.
Jeff Carter gets to Columbus and says get me the f*** out of here.
Jeff Carter to LA for Jack Johnson + Conditional 1st (Marko Dano)
Then Voracek is traded for Atkinson

So Philly ended up with Couturier, Atkinson, and whatever picks they got for Cousins.
Columbus got Voracek back.
LA got Cups with Carter.

Hahaha...

Reactions: Gurglesons

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Columbus fans STILL say "f*** Jeff Carter" as a way of greeting each other.

Though frankly Adam Foote did them WAY dirtier.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ugh. How didn't I know about this? Really awful stuff.

Dude was coaching at RMU as recently as 2018 because of f***ing COURSE he was. Gross.
The thing to take away from all of this is that...

From 1980~ to 2018, he was active all the while people knew what he did and as long as he got them results, they didn't care. I'll find the haunting quote from that article that puts a stamp on this whole thing in a sec...but the only time Chico got in trouble was when a player finally got pissed off seeing his name and that he was still active on RMU and reported it to the police. So imagine if when Vincent spoke to Gary and then Gary to the rest of the team, they had done that while knowing the deep rooted history of Chico Adrahta in the Illinois Youth Hockey circles, another open secret.

Edit:

Sacks will turn 53 in June. He was one of the first players Adrahtas coached and he believes there are more victims out there, struggling. He is angry with Adrahtas, but also with the people he felt were aware of what his coach was doing and did little or nothing.

He is not alone.

Sacks’ former teammate Bill Pickrum said: “I have some really raw, pissed-off feelings on why people who knew what they knew didn’t share it. How many people in power or high-power positions chose to save their f***ing career by not telling?”
Former players say Chicago area hockey coach sexually abused them
Former players say Chicago area hockey coach sexually abused them

That bolded part is just...says all you need to know.

Edit 2: Oddly enough, weird ties to that Gophers team - Broz is going to go play there and when Chico Adrahtas was first there, Mike Guentzel was there as a Sr.

Edit 3: Frank Pietrangelo is also one of the people in the case against Adrahtas.

Yikes.

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

He implemented the strategy of having every game go to a shootout.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

200.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So Makar getting 9m/yr (likely taking a little less for term) and Jones getting 9.5m/yr (lol)....Jim Benning is going to learn a hard lesson from Pat Brisson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad