Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hi.

Byfield-Kings-debut-warmups.jpg

NHL. And what has been the knock on Byfield. “IQ”. Aka. He’s a dumb black kid.

CascadiaPenguin

Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I think the reality is the sport is predominantly a white, rich boy sport and inherently these type of people are going to think they can do whatever they want and people of other classes, genders and races are beneath them. That’s just the honest and dark side of hockey regardless of what anyone tries to sell it as.

There is no African American center in the NHL. How bizarre is that?
Had no idea, that is bizarre and insane. Like the 1980's NFL until QB Doug Williams had a Super Bowl of the ages (after an emergency root canal the night before the game)? Pathetic when we trail a dinosaur league by 35+ years... Even with respect to CTE.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
What tf does race have to do with what Mailroux did? All athletes do heinous douchebag stuff across all leagues.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Wasn't there some woman who tried to extort Jagr by threatening to post pictures of them in bed together and Jagr basically said go ahead, what do I care? They weren't nude pics or anything and I'm not making a comparison to Mailloux, it just reminded me of that. As if Jagr, a bachelor, would care that people know he sleeps with beautiful women.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
What tf does race have to do with what Mailroux did? All athletes do heinous douchebag stuff across all leagues.
I can't speak for HOG but I think he's just using his own experiences as an example of atrocious behaviour being allowed by sports or society in general.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Obviously, what that Logan guy did was wrong. Does that mean he deserves to not have a career in hockey, or anything, for that matter? I'm not so sure. Murderers can be re-habilitated to become contributing members of society. I don't think automatically shutting them out is a good thing. I have no idea if he is truly sorry for the pain he's caused that girl. I'm sure he is sorry for selfish reasons but I don't know what's going on in his head.

I'd love to live in a world where hate didn't exist but I'm not naive enough to ever think that's going to happen. We can always be better and should strive for that, but I'm not so sure shutting people out once they do something wrong is going to help. Education, accountability and communication is better than just shouting at someone and essentially ostracizing them from society, that only creates more bitterness and anger. Hopefully this kid grows as a person and learns to be better, I believe most people can change. Except pedophiles, they're hopeless and should be thrown in a volcano.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Bergevin being implicated in the whole Chicago scandal makes it that much worse.

I wonder how many teams would have jumped at drafting him in round 2? Probably far too many.
I wonder if, given the reaction, the Molson family axes Bergevin, citing the latest stuff to come out in the Blackhawks investigation as their excuse. Just serves up his head on a platter to appease angry fans. Not sure what they'd do with the player, and it would be a cop out for a move I'm sure they knew this pick was coming, but it would show they kinda "get it".

From a purely cynical business perspective, its not like Bergevin has led them to anything. Last year, IMO, was essentially the kind of fluke run you see in the playoffs all the time, fueled by a vet team that found its legs one last time. When you look at his record there, its a schizophrenic mix of vets and so-so youngsters that was just as likely to make a weak or middling playoff run as it was to finish a lottery team.

And of course, the NHL being the old boys club that it is, Bergevin would land on his feet as an AGM at some buddy's team within 12 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wonder if, given the reaction, the Molson family axes Bergevin, citing the latest stuff to come out in the Blackhawks investigation as their excuse. Just serves up his head on a platter to appease angry fans. Not sure what they'd do with the player, and it would be a cop out for a move I'm sure they knew this pick was coming, but it would show they kinda "get it".

From a purely cynical business perspective, its not like Bergevin has led them to anything. Last year, IMO, was essentially the kind of fluke run you see in the playoffs all the team, fueled by a vet team that found its legs one last time. When you look at his record there, its a schizophrenic mix of vets and so-so youngsters that was just as likely to make a weak or middling playoff run as it was to finish a lottery team.

And of course, the NHL being the old boys club that it is, Bergevin would land on his feet as an AGM at some buddy's team within 12 months.

Yeah I tend to agree. I admit to not following the Habs much (lol why would I) but my understanding is that his seat was already getting a little warm. Then this whole Chicago thing rears it's head. I know they did what they did in the playoffs but I mean... they got f***ing clowned in the Finals. I think a lot of the good money and even a portion of their fanbase knows that they have the look of a mirage.

I could very well see Bergevin getting the boot just so the franchise can claim some weak PR victory, like you said. But the league in general seems resoundingly tonedeaf so who knows. Any respectable pro league would have taken control of this Chicago situation and gotten way out in front of it a long time since. We'd be sitting here talking about how badly they got reamed and rightfully so instead of speculating on how MUCH of it they'll simply get away with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad