Around The NHL #9 - The Meat Market is Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
How should I feel about TML pencilling in Bunting on their top line?

I'm thinking a mix of hilarity and empathy, but am I mistaken?

His scoring % definitely looks unsustainable but the kid went to the net more consistently than anyone we've had in my memory. Of course we've been an offensive black hole for a long time but that's another story. He was fun to watch and played the right way every night on a bad team. Kind of sad how many times he was the best forward on the ice for us. Seems like his style would be perfect to play with talented guys that drive offense. Every time he played all you could think was why in the hell hasn't this guy been up sooner? Thank Tocchet for that. I'm interested to see what he can do with you guys. That contract is almost a 2 year risk free trial. No downside there at all.

Reactions: SensontheRush

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
2-3 yeaes is a little early for it to go bad but no doubt it will odourous before it is done.
Yeah he’s younger than I thought actually…but he plays a hard mean game…the last 3-4 years of that deal will most likely be unpleasant for them.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah he’s younger than I thought actually…but he plays a hard mean game…the last 3-4 years of that deal will most likely be unpleasant for them.
The cap will be way up by then. He is one hell of a player.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
"Perlini was selected by the Arizona Coyotes in the first round (12th overall) of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft." How can we miss so BADLY in the draft?? Four teams in four years in the NHL, and he played two and a quarter of those in AZ. Geez...
Amateur scouting was once the lowest priority of the organization. It now seems to be the top priority.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wonder if "most" still have jobs... :shakehead:whatever::huh:
Perlini was so tall, and skated so well. Absolutely galloped out there. Like a gazelle. And his shot. Dude just ripped it. And could pick corners with aplomb.

It wasn’t until later that everyone learned he wasn’t that into hockey. His issues was 100% between the ears. And not in the typical way. By all accounts he’s an extremely bright and personable guy. Interesting and passionate about things. Craig Morgan talks about him all the time.

It’s asking a lot of scouts to find out that behind all those tools, and all of that talent, and all of that charm, is a kid who’s just not that into hockey. Or at least not into dedicating his life to hockey in the ways he’s told he needs to. Or even to playing it exactly as he’s told he needs to.

This is a kid who’s going to fool 9/10 scouts.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Perlini was so tall, and skated so well. Absolutely galloped out there. Like a gazelle. And his shot. Dude just ripped it. And could pick corners with aplomb.

It wasn’t until later that everyone learned he wasn’t that into hockey. His issues was 100% between the ears. And not in the typical way. By all accounts he’s an extremely bright and personable guy. Interesting and passionate about things. Craig Morgan talks about him all the time.

It’s asking a lot of scouts to find out that behind all those tools, and all of that talent, and all of that charm, is a kid who’s just not that into hockey. Or at least not into dedicating his life to hockey in the ways he’s told he needs to. Or even to playing it exactly as he’s told he needs to.

Good points all around. I guess I look at it more as a scout being a little more probing on somebody that is selected in the top half of the first round.

I've found this saying always interesting: "Yes, doing your job is part of your job."

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002

Great bloodlines as well - a real hockey family. His dad was a Toronto boy who came to the UK and had some eye-popping years (routinely had 100+ goals in 30 odd games).

I was following Brendan and Brett for years before the draft as UK qualified players (Brett plays for the UK now but Brendan opted to represent Canada when the family moved back)

The game just looked so easy for Brendan in juniors, he could sweep past defensemen like Guenther out there.

Also 2014 looks to be a very poor draft year, not many players picked after him were great. There's like Point and some late developers. Cant blame the scouts on this one.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Perlini had all the tools but not the toolbox. Or perhaps more accurately he kept his toolbox in the garage gathering rust.

I didn't love the pick but it was a completely reasonable one to make. Scouting has improved a lot, but there have been plenty of players similar to Perlini picked in the 1st since then.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Perlini didn't like contact...he was fine in the AHL and did great cuz no one could catch him and I remember watching him fly up the wing and come in and pick a corner with his laser of a shot. But there was a lot more contact at the NHL level and like someone said before, his heart wasn't in it to take the abuse to get to the good areas of the ice. Combine that with his lack of seemingly average hockey IQ and there wasn't anyway he was going to succeed.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Perlini had great promise until he got his hand broken on a dirty slash job in a scrimmage against the Kings (as usual).

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Perlini had great promise until he got his hand broken on a dirty slash job in a scrimmage against the Kings (as usual).
Many come back from a hand fracture. He didn’t like taking hits and wasn’t willing to take a hit to make a play. That’s not fear, that’s a choice. No one at his level is afraid to take a hit. To the Petlini’s of the world, it’s just not worth it.

I broke my left foot sparring, so it’s not like I don’t understand injury.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I loved the Perlini pick. He was one of my favorites going into that draft. I liked him as a prospect more than Domi.

Domi’s big year in London was similar to Hank samuelssons big year in the WHL.

Edit: Looking back, I’m misremembering the seasons a little. Lol. But I specifically remember liking Perlini a whole lot more than Domi. Perlini could flat out fly and had a laser of a shot to go along with it. He has the entire physical package.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->