Around The NHL #7 - Let's Make A Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
TOI for Kyle Tourist has dropped to 7:21 and 6:53 in the Winnipeg series.
1g-2a-3p, -9, 8 PIMs in 18 games
2 x 1.65M

I still don't understand how he signed there. But it does still make me laugh.
I thought Turris was going to have a good year. Boy was I wrong.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wouldn't trade a plug nickel for Taylor Hall. I wouldn't give him anything close to what he wants as a free agent.

Reactions: RemoAZ

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I think we sit on our hands until this next off season. Let these contracts drop off. Or if we do in fact do something, duplicate the the Stepan trade. We don’t need to another big money player right now. Ride out this season, maybe make the playoffs, watch some playoff hockey and let BA have his way with the roster and that cap space.

Reactions: 0point1 and Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I wouldn't trade a plug nickel for Taylor Hall. I wouldn't give him anything close to what he wants as a free agent.

I'd agree with this. Correlation /= causation, but he did jack squat for the Coyotes, and he's doing jack squat for the Sabres (1 goal in 13 games and a -10). At this point, the only player I'd trade assets for is someone who is a culture-changer (for the positive). Otherwise, give me draft assets to restock our extremely bare cupboard.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I'd agree with this. Correlation /= causation, but he did jack squat for the Coyotes, and he's doing jack squat for the Sabres (1 goal in 13 games and a -10). At this point, the only player I'd trade assets for is someone who is a culture-changer (for the positive). Otherwise, give me draft assets to restock our extremely bare cupboard.
My guess is they try to get OEL to waive his NMC again as part of the culture-change reset which is already underway. GMBA has probably seen enough to know he's not the player you want to build around.

A mid/late 2021 first, a roster player (with term and $ to balance the financials somewhat) and a middling prospect is enough.

The longer the wait the less they'll get in return as it's hard to imagine OEL's value increasing unless something changes.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I love Hall. I really hope we sign him.

You're just enamored over the fact he made our entire roster not named Conor Garland look like beer league hockey.

snap-out-of-it-cher-gif.gif

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Nice. Don't think Reimer was expecting a shot. Those Whalers unis are something else.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Who could have predicted 38 yo Mike Smith would be 4-0-0 with a .940 sv% and 1.83 GAA?

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’d encourage the Oilers to go all in on riding Smith for a playoff run. I’m sure it will work out fine. Hell double down. 3 year extension!
He's outplaying Kuemper at the moment.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He's outplaying Kuemper at the moment.
Like i said extend him. Protect him in expansion draft. If you are confident it’s sustainable then make a statement. Keumper can lead the league in categories over several years and is still viewed by some fans of other teams as a guy who got hot for a period. Except that period has lasted calendar years. Plural.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Coaching?

I think coaching is underated. Consider that the highest paid player makes double the highest paid coach, yet having the best player does not equal wins. The best coaches move from team to team and achieve results. Ergo, coaching trumps talent.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I actually like Kruger. Tanking kills culture and it permeates for years. They need someone to take this team by the throat and drag them to consistency. It’s leadership.
I put him in the same category as RT.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think coaching is underated. Consider that the highest paid player makes double the highest paid coach, yet having the best player does not equal wins. The best coaches move from team to team and achieve results. Ergo, coaching trumps talent.
I think coaching is very important. But you do need talent to win consistently in the NHL.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Not really.

They are challenging Edmonton for most #1 picks on their roster, plus they have Toby Rieder. :nod: Underperforming...for sure, but the Sabres have some top-level talent. Goaltending has been suspect. Krueger is a coach with no record of head coaching success. I'll reiterate my point, if you are going to pay $80 mil in player salary, don't skimp on coaching.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
They are challenging Edmonton for most #1 picks on their roster, plus they have Toby Rieder. :nod: Underperforming...for sure, but the Sabres have some top-level talent. Goaltending has been suspect. Krueger is a coach with no record of head coaching success. I'll reiterate my point, if you are going to pay $80 mil in player salary, don't skimp on coaching.
Just because someone is drafted high means squat going forward. The Sabres just aren't very good and so far are unwilling to make up for that by working hard as a team.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad