Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Are you exaggerating or has there been big money made in cannabis stocks? It's a young (legal) industry and separating the wheat from the chaff can be difficult. Lot's bankruptcies and likely more to follow.

Keyword Search | Seeking Alpha
Bought at $2. Sold at $46. Should have sold it (Canopy) at $70. Track the stock from the day they elected Trudeau. Moved like a rocket ship.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
In the early 90’s came close to investing some of the settlement money from my auto accident in an upstart R&D company based in San Diego.

They were about to release a new compression algorithm for use in the new cellular phone industry. The company’s name was Qualcomm. And their algorithm was known as code division multiple access... or CDMA. Most of the world was using GSM at the time. But CDMA gained adoption from a couple of major players in the game and it took off.

IIRC Qualcomm stock split three times over the next 5 years. If I had dropped 10k on them back in the day it’d be worth $350-400k today. I won’t even go into what Microsoft did. Or even Apple. I was getting married at the time so I backed off from taking the gamble.

Still kicking myself over it.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
In the early 90’s came close to investing some of the settlement money from my auto accident in an upstart R&D company based in San Diego.

They were about to release a new compression algorithm for use in the new cellular phone industry. The company’s name was Qualcomm. And their algorithm was known as code division multiple access... or CDMA. Most of the world was using GSM at the time. But CDMA gained adoption from a couple of major players in the game and it took off.

IIRC Qualcomm stock split three times over the next 5 years. If I had dropped 10k on them back in the day it’d be worth $350-400k today. I won’t even go into what Microsoft did. Or even Apple. I was getting married at the time so I backed off from taking the gamble.

Still kicking myself over it.
I know a guy who had bought a bunch of shares in a Canadian mining company pre internet trading. His shares had gone from thousands to almost $2 million. When he was travelling the Native Band who owned the Land was fighting the company for more and the shares started to slide, by the time he returned home his shares and the mine were worthless. He has a big picture with a few of the news clippings and his once wealthy share certificate hung on a wall to remind himself that waiting too long sometimes takes it all.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I bought Worldcom in the late 90s. Great investment!

upload_2020-1-26_20-31-53.png

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Are we the only team on a break? How have we managed to stay in a wild card spot and not play in over a week?

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Are we the only team on a break? How have we managed to stay in a wild card spot and not play in over a week?

no one else played either. the week before the ASG I think WPG, MIN, CHI had multiple games and no one else had more than 1 in the WC.

I was thinking last night it feels like the playoffs....because I'm watching all these other teams and the Coyotes aren't playing.

Reactions: GiveAFlyingPuck

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
We do get to jump right in with a back to back. The long layoff will be a good excuse for losing the first game. Being tired from the first game (and Raanta reinjuring himself) will be the excuse for losing the second.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Chaka and his soft roster is dumb.

As much as Smith angered a lot of people, that fight tells me that maybe part of the reason he had a decent run here with a good team was because he had that emotion and could show it.

Right now, the way that people are talking about the performances, maybe every single one of our players could use a Mike Smith stare down.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
As much as Smith angered a lot of people, that fight tells me that maybe part of the reason he had a decent run here with a good team was because he had that emotion and could show it.

Right now, the way that people are talking about the performances, maybe every single one of our players could use a Mike Smith stare down.

The only thing about him that I couldn't take was the diving. Every time someone got near him he flopped around like a bird with a broken wing. Maybe that's what made our captain think that shit was a good idea. The stare downs and calling people out is part of being a pro. If you can't take that, and most of our society can't, you have no business being in professional sports. Go get a government job.

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
If I were Chayka, I would definitely be making phone calls to his agent to see his interest. Also have any coyote player that knows him give him a call. All within the rules, no tampering.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If I were Chayka, I would definitely be making phone calls to his agent to see his interest. Also have any coyote player that knows him give him a call. All within the rules, no tampering.

I thought of that too, and then remembered that we can't write him an IOU and gave up on the idea.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Are we talking about a Bfygulien? It’s a hard no from me. He hasn’t skated / rehabbed at all since survey. Likely at or above 300 lbs right now. He has and had zero intentions of playing again. For all intents and purposes he is retired. He doesn’t want to play anymore.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The only thing about him that I couldn't take was the diving. Every time someone got near him he flopped around like a bird with a broken wing. Maybe that's what made our captain think that **** was a good idea. The stare downs and calling people out is part of being a pro. If you can't take that, and most of our society can't, you have no business being in professional sports. Go get a government job.

I agree, and it is a fine line there before it looks suspicious.

I really think that when Shaw gave him the shoulder, that wasn't necessarily an oversell, but it spawned the idea that he could potentially change the game by getting a penalty drawn, and then he started to go to that well too often, especially when we were bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->