Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, but I watched their game against the Penguins on Tuesday night, and all the goals in the world aren't going to help a team that quits on defense.

On one particular play, the Penguins tried to ice the puck under pressure. As the puck crossed the Leafs' blue line, a Penguins player chased after it. He was all alone. A few seconds later, two other Pens had surrounded the net and Pittsburgh scored a goal. Watching the ensuing replay from a reverse angle, you could see the Pens guy skating hard, but not all-out... and you could see the entire Maple Leafs team in the other end just watching him. Not even bothering to chase. I thought they were going for a line change at first but the only Leaf making his way back to his own zone was Auston Matthews and he coasted past the bench standing straight up.

I thought for a second I was watching an NBA game.

The Loafs, indeed.
Yeah. They REALLY need a defenseman. Maybe one who’s a leader, a captain even. One who’s got an all-star resume and a great reputation nationally. Someone who can generate some buzz and show the fans and the media up there that they mean business. :sarcasm:

I mean, I’m not suggesting OEL straight-up for Matthews. ;) but surely Keller could help take some of the sting off of the lost offense, right? Or maybe they really need another highly skilled center to replace Matthews. We’ve always got Nick Schmaltz ;). Haha.

OEL+Schmaltz for Matthews. Makes total sense and is good. Good for Toronto. Ask no further questions and just do it Dubas. Haha. :sarcasm:

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Didn't know where else to put this, and not sure if it was talked about anywhere else on F40

From Freidman's latest 31 thoughts: 31 Thoughts: Making sense of Toffoli trade for Canucks - Sportsnet.ca

16. Carolina’s outdoor game will continue the trend into locales no one would have considered years ago. Arizona is pushing for a game in Mexico City. Years ago, I asked Bettman if he would put a game in Florida and he said he’d like to, but the humidity was a big concern. I think they’re going to see if they can do it. Edmonton is runaway leader for next Canadian game in fall of 2021.

Mexico City?!?! Really???
I get the push to market the team to a different demographic, but I don't see how this would work at all.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I get the push to market the team to a different demographic, but I don't see how this would work at all.

Would you believe that Mexico has a national ice hockey team, and that they actually have their own domestic professional league?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Mexico City is huge. If you got 1 in 1000 people to be interested in hockey, you'd have 21,000 new fans.

You need ~1/280 of the Phoenix metro area interested to sell 17125 seats at GRA.

If you eventually got 1/280 interest in the Mexico City metro area, you'd have around 76,000 people trying to get tickets to a game. You'd only need 1/1200 people to sell out a GRA-sized arena.

I'd say exhibition games would work fine there. And help make inroads here, too, over the long-haul.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Didn't know where else to put this, and not sure if it was talked about anywhere else on F40

From Freidman's latest 31 thoughts: 31 Thoughts: Making sense of Toffoli trade for Canucks - Sportsnet.ca

16. Carolina’s outdoor game will continue the trend into locales no one would have considered years ago. Arizona is pushing for a game in Mexico City. Years ago, I asked Bettman if he would put a game in Florida and he said he’d like to, but the humidity was a big concern. I think they’re going to see if they can do it. Edmonton is runaway leader for next Canadian game in fall of 2021.

I like the idea of trying to get more fans for the Yotes and all that.

My only problem is that if the Yotes did get an outdoor game or something like that FINALLY... the fans that are here in AZ that have supported this team end up being stiffed out of a fun game if it's held in a whole different country.

So yea, I wouldn't mind exhibition games or maybe starting the season there like the Yotes did in Prague a while back (something like that is fine). But, if it's the outdoor game it should be a reward to the fans that have definitely suffered this whole time. My opinion.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
MIG said:
I don't know, I think they're putting a wall up. :D
Even with no cross-border traffic there'd be a cultural shift, turkey lol

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Meruelo wants to grow the game in Hispanic communities (countries)...guessing that's a driver.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Would you believe that Mexico has a national ice hockey team, and that they actually have their own domestic professional league?

Did not know that, thank you for sharing. Gotta look that up!

Mexico City is huge. If you got 1 in 1000 people to be interested in hockey, you'd have 21,000 new fans.

You need ~1/280 of the Phoenix metro area interested to sell 17125 seats at GRA.

If you eventually got 1/280 interest in the Mexico City metro area, you'd have around 76,000 people trying to get tickets to a game. You'd only need 1/1200 people to sell out a GRA-sized arena.

I'd say exhibition games would work fine there. And help make inroads here, too, over the long-haul.

I agree, by numbers it makes sense - and showcasing to a potentially big market is appealing but.....

I like the idea of trying to get more fans for the Yotes and all that.

My only problem is that if the Yotes did get an outdoor game or something like that FINALLY... the fans that are here in AZ that have supported this team end up being stiffed out of a fun game if it's held in a whole different country.

So yea, I wouldn't mind exhibition games or maybe starting the season there like the Yotes did in Prague a while back (something like that is fine). But, if it's the outdoor game it should be a reward to the fans that have definitely suffered this whole time. My opinion.

........this. You gotta give an outdoor game to the fans that supported them, and where they're based.
Otherwise, an exhibition game could go to Mexico.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia

If it's just one of these international games, is the cost really that much to the team considering what could be the payout? If it works out, you just built up another source of revenue and enlarged the fanbase. If not, it's whatever the cost is for this type of event, assuming tickets sold doesn't make up for it and perhaps also accounting for lost revenue from a regular home game. It's a better international option than when we played in Europe for building this team's clout, though I think those games were mostly for the league rather than most individual teams. If the league thinks they can grab some of the Mexican marketplace, it'd be good for the Coyotes to try and jump on that before some of the other borderish teams grab that. We don't want LA getting to market themselves as Mexico's team.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Wild beat the Oilers to win their second straight under Evason. Only 3 points behind the Coyotes with 4 games in hand. They play STL, CBJ x 2 and DET in their next 4.

Going to be really frustrating to watch these proactive teams leapfrog us after we stood pat in January...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wild beat the Oilers to win their second straight under Evason. Only 3 points behind the Coyotes with 4 games in hand. They play STL, CBJ x 2 and DET in their next 4.

Going to be really frustrating to watch these proactive teams leapfrog us after we stood pat in January...
Weren’t we proactive in December though? We made our shot and then went a month where we didn’t have a goalie who could make a save.

Reactions: TheLegend and MIG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad