Around the NHL 2023-24 season thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I would be pretty gutted as a fan if the Devils relocated. I always felt NHL/hockey teams integrate with the fans/community better than most other sports (biases opinion).

I live in a small Midwest town and they had some junior team that relocated years ago and people still talk about the team.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 12.18.36 PM.png

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Utah not having a name/jersey ready brought flashbacks to past draft years:

1713478830398.png

1995 - Marc Denis drafted by Colorado Hockey Club

briere96.jpg

Phoenix had the logo ready but not the full jersey by 1996.

1713478948350.png

1997 - Nikos Tselios (cousin of Chris Chelios, his side of the family kept the Greek spelling) by Carolina. According to the broadcast there had been some litigation over the Hurricanes name which delayed things.

video-winnipeg-jets-draft-pick-mark-scheifele-talks-to-the-media.jpg

They announced the Jets name at the 2011 Draft for Winnipeg 2.0. But Mark Scheifele only got the generic jersey.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If it really takes two years for them to come up with a name and logo and all that then it is a complete joke on top of playing in that shit arena? Man this franchise really is cursed
Well it turns out they got a lot of pushback when they rolled out the Saints. Then they got more pushback when they pivoted to the Pelicans. Then they got pushback when they tried to go with Voodoo and were stunned to learn there is an indoor football league and New Orleans has a franchise int hat too. They may go with Zephyrs since that team relocated.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Utah not having a name/jersey ready brought flashbacks to past draft years:

View attachment 854740

1995 - Marc Denis drafted by Colorado Hockey Club

View attachment 854742

Phoenix had the logo ready but not the full jersey by 1996.

View attachment 854741

1997 - Nikos Tselios (cousin of Chris Chelios, his side of the family kept the Greek spelling) by Carolina. According to the broadcast there had been some litigation over the Hurricanes name which delayed things.

video-winnipeg-jets-draft-pick-mark-scheifele-talks-to-the-media.jpg

They announced the Jets name at the 2011 Draft for Winnipeg 2.0. But Mark Scheifele only got the generic jersey.

the pwhl did generic jerseys for the entire league for similar reasons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don’t get why they even gave this asshole another chance, does he have blackmail on them or did he grease palms?

The whole thing seems like the NHL covering their asses. Set a benchmark he probably won't meet, and when he doesn't they can say "See, we gave him a chance". And if he does actually meet it they've got a new arena to put an expansion team in.
Because they had no choice. He had to actually agree to sell the team you know. And he seems very set on keeping the Arizona Coyotes. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t figure out an arena by then given that.

But ya he agreed to sell the hockey part of the team only if he got to keep the franchise aspects of it and had an easy way back in once he figures the arena out. Sounds like he doesn’t even have to be approved by the Board of Governors to come back and just has to pay back the 1 Billion he’s getting.

The NHL didn’t have much of a choice and I don’t mind this resolution at all

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Because they had no choice. He had to actually agree to sell the team you know. And he seems very set on keeping the Arizona Coyotes. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t figure out an arena by then given that.

But ya he agreed to sell the hockey part of the team only if he got to keep the franchise aspects of it and had an easy way back in once he figures the arena out. Sounds like he doesn’t even have to be approved by the Board of Governors to come back and just has to pay back the 1 Billion he’s getting.

The NHL didn’t have much of a choice and I don’t mind this resolution at all
Boy the NHL's really come a long way in their vetting process since the days of John Spano and Bruce McNall :shakehead

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Just call them the Utah HC for a year lol

And then I saw this. I swear I didnt steal the idea lol

Blizzard? Venom? Fury?

Did a teenage eSports gamer come up w these names? wtf?

isn't there something people from Utah want to be known for other than Mormons? What about Utah Boulder or something, there's a lot of rocks there

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can someone who is a better statistician than I am confirm that the 2023-2024 San Jose Sharks with 47 points is the lowest point total in an 82 game season since the 00-01 Atlanta Thrashers who had 44?

That 16-17 Avalanche team finished with one more point at 48.

I’m still laughing at the “Hard work” comments from the media and those charts that came out in December when they had that brief heater by their standards. I think around the same time they beat us.

One of the guys that does the models was clalming that the Sharks weren’t THAT bad. They weren’t trying to claim the Sharks weren’t bad, just they were not historically bad. That’s aging very well right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad