Around the NHL 2023-24 - playoff thread

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Hintz was 2015, just imagine how more stacked that group would be if they had taken Barzal/Connor instead of Denis Gurianov. I think they had been dangling Hintz as the centerpiece of their offer for Erik Karlsson. They probably lucked out with the Sharks winning that sweepstakes.

Some luck there too, Florida was ready to take Robertson at #40. Robertson was #30 on TSN's final ranking, so it wasn't like he was total unknown.

I always enjoyed the story of them getting Jamie Benn as a late pick. Combination of Benn being out of shape plus being a high level baseball player, so teams weren't sure if he might pursue baseball full time. And then it was a pain to see Benn's BCHL junior team since it required a ferry ride to see him play a home game. So a lot of scouts thought it wasn't worth the time to scout him when it was easier to watch a WHL game instead that might have multiple draft prospects.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hintz was 2015, just imagine how more stacked that group would be if they had taken Barzal/Connor instead of Denis Gurianov. I think they had been dangling Hintz as the centerpiece of their offer for Erik Karlsson. They probably lucked out with the Sharks winning that sweepstakes.

Some luck there too, Florida was ready to take Robertson at #40. Robertson was #30 on TSN's final ranking, so it wasn't like he was total unknown.

I always enjoyed the story of them getting Jamie Benn as a late pick. Combination of Benn being out of shape plus being a high level baseball player, so teams weren't sure if he might pursue baseball full time. And then it was a pain to see Benn's BCHL junior team since it required a ferry ride to see him play a home game. So a lot of scouts thought it wasn't worth the time to scout him when it was easier to watch a WHL game instead that might have multiple draft prospects.
There is always an element of luck when selecting 18 year old kids. I saw an interview with one of the Stars front office who admitted that they were concerned about Robertson's skating and it improved dramatically after he was drafted. I don't think they expected that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad