The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2021-1-16_15-44-30.png

Reactions: Bondurant

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I find it funny that both of AA's goals have been off rebounds in tight.

Haven't watched the Kings, so I'm curious how he has played so far.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Jason Spezza waived. He'll "retire if claimed by another team". Smart, preemptive move.

Meanwhile in OTT, Galchenyuk on the 5th line. So glad we didn't sign him.
"#sens lines Tuesday

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stuetzle-Stepan-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-C.Brown
Paquette-Anisimov-Watson
Galchenyuk-White-Haley
— Brent Wallace (@tsn_wally) January 12, 2021
This means Galchenyuk could land in the reserve squad at the very start of the season."

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good question. What say y'all?

What kind of innovation has there been in basketball?

I mean, it’s a lot easier to be innovative in a sport like football where you have 11 players on the field and you are setting up from a dead stop every play. You can select all kinds of formations and schemes with that atmosphere.

I guess basketball has shifted to smaller ball and more guys that can shoot. But I feel hockey has also shifted to more guys that can skate and towards skill as well.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

I mean, it’s a lot easier to be innovative in a sport like football where you have 11 players on the field and you are setting up from a dead stop every play. You can select all kinds of formations and schemes with that atmosphere.

I guess basketball has shifted to smaller ball and more guys that can shoot. But I feel hockey has also shifted to more guys that can skate and towards skill as well.

RE: Basketball - More and varied movement surrounded by 3-point shooting.

RE: Hockey - Is that a coaching innovation though? I guess it could be indirectly.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
RE: Basketball - More and varied movement surrounded by 3-point shooting.

RE: Hockey - Is that a coaching innovation though? I guess it could be indirectly.

I have gotten back into NBA recently, I just have an issue with how soft a fouls they call every game. I mean you can’t really defend on the perimeter, so I feel like that makes things easy for coaches.

What kind of innovation are we looking for with hockey? Think it’s easier to run set plays in both basketball and football just due to the stoppages in play and switching of possession. Hockey is non-stop and end to end, just not sure it really lends itself to as much room for strategy/innovation. More stuff like the Flying V from Mighty Ducks? Lol

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
I have gotten back into NBA recently, I just have an issue with how soft a fouls they call every game. I mean you can’t really defend on the perimeter, so I feel like that makes things easy for coaches.

What kind of innovation are we looking for with hockey? Think it’s easier to run set plays in both basketball and football just due to the stoppages in play and switching of possession. Hockey is non-stop and end to end, just not sure it really lends itself to as much room for strategy/innovation. More stuff like the Flying V from Mighty Ducks? Lol

RE: Gotten back into NBA - Why? Hehe. It's kind of awful. Seems like whichever team makes more 3s wins, which is not my taste but the sport is my first love so I'm kind of stuck watching it.

RE: I can definitely see how it's easier to run set plays in other sports. Innovation isn't necessarily a good thing but I just thought it was an interesting question for discussion. I wonder if the faster skating has significantly taken away from some of the more thoughtful aspects of hockey but you can certainly design a lot of intelligent options with active, fast-skating defensemen as well as fast-skating forwards who can cover more ground.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
RE: Gotten back into NBA - Why? Hehe. It's kind of awful. Seems like whichever team makes more 3s wins, which is not my taste but the sport is my first love so I'm kind of stuck watching it.

RE: I can definitely see how it's easier to run set plays in other sports. Innovation isn't necessarily a good thing but I just thought it was an interesting question for discussion. I wonder if the faster skating has significantly taken away from some of the more thoughtful aspects of hockey but you can certainly design a lot of intelligent options with active, fast-skating defensemen as well as fast-skating forwards who can cover more ground.

I like some of these younger guys coming up — Luka, Giannis, Ja Morant, Tatum, etc etc. I think it was honestly a lot because of quarantine and being stuck as home, just watched it more and more and got back into it.

It is an interesting discussion. I’d like to see a team run 4 F-1 D on every line and see how that goes. Maybe a team that is thin at defense... just play to your strengths and think outside the box. I guess there isn’t a lot of that.

Reactions: FabricDetails

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I find it funny that both of AA's goals have been off rebounds in tight.

Haven't watched the Kings, so I'm curious how he has played so far.

Skating well, but he's not getting the puck.
The good thing for AA, on his goal the other night, is that he made it work by winning a board battle, knocking a puck loose to Carter. He also had good board work that led to another Kings goal.
Still, he could a lot more engaged without the puck. There was a goal against on opening night and AA was the front forward on a 1-3-1 and it felt like he collapsed too low in the neutral zone and gave the Wild a super easy zone entry before they scored. Wouldn't pin it on him, but he could be been better.

AA is still not the AA from a couple years ago.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Left wing lock.
Powerplay drop pass.

I think the loser point rewards caution and crushes innovation.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I like some of these younger guys coming up — Luka, Giannis, Ja Morant, Tatum, etc etc. I think it was honestly a lot because of quarantine and being stuck as home, just watched it more and more and got back into it.

It is an interesting discussion. I’d like to see a team run 4 F-1 D on every line and see how that goes. Maybe a team that is thin at defense... just play to your strengths and think outside the box. I guess there isn’t a lot of that.

How would they lineup for faceoffs (in your 4-1 scenario)?
3-2 or 4-1?

How about in neutral zone going to Ozone?
staggered formation (zigzag/high-mid-low-high) or vice versa?
upload_2021-1-18_23-52-24.png

How about defending?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
per DobberHockey

"power plays per game are up compared to last year but we usually see more penalties early in the year before teams and officials settle in. The real change for me is shots per game. Those have fallen from 31.3 per team per game in each of the last two seasons to 30.4 so far this year, all while goal scoring is up slightly. That means the league average save percentage has crashed from .910 the last two years to .903 so far this year. We will have to give it a couple more weeks to see where this goes, but if anywhere near this level holds, a .915 goalie is going to have a fantastic season. We may need to re-calibrate our expectations for net-minders."

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Wish there was more innovation. Powerplays for example should be ripe for experimentation. Surprised we don't see more teams experiment with 5 forwards on PP or 3 forwards in OT.

Meh. Innovation can be overrated at times.

But to indulge, how many forwards have a decent, respectable threat of a point shot (from 60 feet)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->