Around the NHL 2019-2020 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Kodie Curran.
Kodie Curran at eliteprospects.com
Signed by the Ducks. Does he get a shot? I'm rooting for him.
What a road to the NHL that would be.

I think it would make for a great story, too

There were some anecdotal posts in his thread on the prospects board or in his signing thread on the TR&FA board, can't remember, but supposedly he has been known as a party type guy and not taking his time away from the rink as seriously as he needed to in order to make the NHL

I watched some of his highlights and my gut takeaway is that he looks generally very slow/ stationary for today's NHL, but with how bad the Ducks are likely to be for the next few seasons he might carve out a role anyway

I just think it would be a great perseverance story if he becomes a regular for the next few years

Reactions: MBH

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
What’s the consensus here

Do you guys think an NHL team will offer Howard a one year contract?

I think at this point with his age and how bad he was this year the best he would be able to do is start off as some teams third Goalie and hope for a callup from the AHL due to an injury

I also think he's a lot more likely to just retire than fight that hard just to get back into the NHL at all,even if he does manage to climb his way back up he's probably never landing another big contract or entering a season as a teams starter again so there's just not a lot of motivation left for him at this point unless he just really wants to keep playing as long as he possibly can for the sake of it

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I was shocked to hear his comments about not being done. I figured this last year of $4M would be seen by him as a nice send off, basically an overpayment loyalty deal to give us a guy who we thought could be 1B/ back up calibre along with Bernier and he looked so physically done that I would wager AHL starter would be a hard task for him at this point. Not talent-wise, just logistically how long can his health (groin) hang on?

I figured he would be happy to hang em up and maybe join some sort of coaching/ scouting role in the near future for the Wings.

I don't know if there is a situation that makes sense for him? Maybe he replaces Miller in Anaheim at league minimum? Just as a veteran locker room presence basically.

I don't understand why you would move your young family out of state for one year of riding pine when you could just carve out a role in the Wings scouting/ coaching department, though

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Congrats Hossa!
Well deserved.
In enshrining Hossa and Iginla, the HHOF has just added two of the best wingers I ever saw play.

Hossa probably did just knock Sundin off as the worst first ballot HHOF. I think he deserved to get in, but they made Shanny wait, I am surprised he went in during his first year on the ballot. Actually kind of shocked. Again, not that I didn't think he would eventually get in.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Here's Hossa vs Fedorov
Hossa 1309 games 525-609-1134 3 Cups
Fed 1248 games 483-696-1179 3 Cups (his most productive seasons before the dead puck era)

If there's another 500 goal scoring winger with 3 Cups and Selke votes in more than 10 seasons - I'd love to see him.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Hossa was my favorite non-Wing for years. I was pissed when the Wings missed out on him at the '08 deadline. I was over the moon when he signed with Detroit that summer - I actually remember texting @Heaton right when I read that he signed with Detroit! I believe he's become under-appreciated given that played a secondary role wherever he went later in his career, whether it was behind Crosby/Malkin, Datsyuk/Zetterberg, or Kane/Toews. He was an outstanding player and I'm glad he made it to the HHOF.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hossa was my favorite non-Wing for years. I was pissed when the Wings missed out on him at the '08 deadline. I was over the moon when he signed with Detroit that summer - I actually remember texting @Heaton right when I read that he signed with Detroit! I believe he's become under-appreciated given that played a secondary role wherever he went later in his career, whether it was behind Crosby/Malkin, Datsyuk/Zetterberg, or Kane/Toews. He was an outstanding player and I'm glad he made it to the HHOF.

He's the last Wing to score 40, right?
I was looking at his scoring that year.
He scored 1.67 goals/60 at 5 on 5. #1 in the NHL.
He was second only to Ovechkin in 5 on 5 goals, 27-26, despite playing 300 fewer minutes.
Datsyuk was at 2.74 points/60. Hossa at 2.69. Z at 1.95. Franzen at 2.1. Flip and Hudler around 1.95. Homer at 2.21

Reactions: Ricelund

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Did we ever find out where that rumor about him being bunkered with Great Value Rasputin came from? I know his agent denied it. I guess things are OK if he's signing new hockey deals.

Russian media is insanely hard for me to parse. But I kinda think that's their intention.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It's weird to think that Brooks Macek (our 6th round pick in 2010) outscores Pavel Datsyuk on the same team. Granted Pavel is 41 years old now.
& now the circle is complete, the student becomes the alpha. Pasha, the story of a young kid from Yekaterinburg gets drafted Rd. 6 #171 overall 1998 NHL Entry Draft

upload_2020-7-11_0-16-0.png

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Did we ever find out where that rumor about him being bunkered with Great Value Rasputin came from? I know his agent denied it. I guess things are OK if he's signing new hockey deals.

Russian media is insanely hard for me to parse. But I kinda think that's their intention.

Being insane in the off-season hasn't stopped him from showing up on time for every other hockey season, looks like this is no different.

What amazes me is that he is an assistant captain on his hometown team, I would have thought that was given over already, I remember thinking this when I saw one of their games and totally forgot about it until the still shot on this announcement.

All the best players on his team are NA flunkies too which is interesting. I know a couple have been overseas stars for a while, but like everyone else is saying strange to see the top 4 scorers on that team. Geoff Platt right behind Datsyuk in scoring as well.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not sure it's a great idea to file a lawsuit to defend saying what Roenick was saying. But good luck with that, I guess.

Somehow I missed all this. Geez, what a creeper. Imagine being a woman and finding out some guy at work was making references to a threesome about you. Cool, dude. Shame you missed the 1950's, you would have loved it.

This kind of makes me all the more vindicated for having one of my favorite hockey memories being Hatcher breaking Roenick's jaw.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Somehow I missed all this. Geez, what a creeper. Imagine being a woman and finding out some guy at work was making references to a threesome about you. Cool, dude. Shame you missed the 1950's, you would have loved it.

This kind of makes me all the more vindicated for having one of my favorite hockey memories being Hatcher breaking Roenick's jaw.

That's the hit I was thinking of when I made the comparison to Seider. And I didn't really mind it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I think what he is trying to prove is it is a cultural thing at NBC. I am honestly surprised this angle was never used at ESPN when they let go of a few guys over the years.

He sounds like an idiot with the other angles. Keep in mind on the same podcast segment he made some really strange not quite as emphatic comments on Patrick Sharp, I think something along the lines of he is so beautiful I would have to think on it... So I would roll that tape if I was NBC and say you just cannot say these kind of things about any co-worker.

But if your superiors know people behave this way and others remain employed while behaving this way he might have a case. I don't think he comes out of it looking good, but this is a guy that thinks it is a smart move to jump on live alligators...

In terms of what was alleged by JR on Weir and Lipinski

Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir use vulgar term in spoof of Olympian

Not near to the level of Roeneck and seems to have been co-opted by NBC for their streaming channel but having kept it there until the suit dropped isn't going to be fun to explain in court would be my guess.

There are still a lot of disturbing things that happen in the work place in this country, we still have a long ways to go in a lot of work environments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->