Around the NHL 2019-2020 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I really would not want to face them in the playoffs right now. They are my dark horse to go all the way.

They are 24-5-4 at home and only 16-15-3 on the road. Having home ice for game 7 could be huge for them.

Pittsburgh has a nearly identical record home and away, too. Lots of teams that are getting things done in their own barn but splitting games on the road.
Carter Hart is 18-2 iirc at home as of ~ a week ago.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Now that some teams are deciding to play games with no fans, will that have any impact on the salary cap being raised? I assume less money being made means less money to be spent?

Reactions: 14ari13

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So with the NHL suspended I thought to scratch my hockey itch by watching some classic Red Wings games. Started watching Wings/Caps Game 2 (1998) and Bill Clement is talking about Brian Bellows flying home for the birth of his son, Kieffer, the day before the game. The same Kieffer who is playing for the New York Islanders now.

Funny moment.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So with the NHL suspended I thought to scratch my hockey itch by watching some classic Red Wings games. Started watching Wings/Caps Game 2 (1998) and Bill Clement is talking about Brian Bellows flying home for the birth of his son, Kieffer, the day before the game. The same Kieffer who is playing for the New York Islanders now.

Funny moment.

That's a really memorable series for me. I was on a school trip in DC and they had the Stanley Cup on display the afternoon before the game. That evening I got to watch the Wings win through a fuzzy dorm TV and carry around the trophy I had just seen.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That's a really memorable series for me. I was on a school trip in DC and they had the Stanley Cup on display the afternoon before the game. That evening I got to watch the Wings win through a fuzzy dorm TV and carry around the trophy I had just seen.
I unfortunately was at my little sister's dance recital for game 4, but the PA guy kept on announcing the score between dances, so every so often the whole crowd would cheer when it was revealed the Red Wings scored.

Reactions: Ricelund

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I unfortunately was at my little sister's dance recital for game 4, but the PA guy kept on announcing the score between dances, so every so often the whole crowd would cheer when it was revealed the Red Wings scored.

That's fun. Love memories like that. I remember Kolzig was unreal those playoffs until he reached the Wings buzzsaw.

Just looked up his playoff numbers: 4 shutouts, 1.95 GAA, .941 SV%.

.941SV% after 21 games is so damn good. If they played anyone but the Red Wings, dude would have carried them to that Cup.

Reactions: Ricelund

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2020-5-4_22-13-15.png

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Since 24 teams make the playoffs, do only the teams that don't make it get a chance at a lottery pick?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Since 24 teams make the playoffs, do only the teams that don't make it get a chance at a lottery pick?
The 8 teams eliminated in the play-in prior to the playoffs will be included in the lottery. Though they'll only be represented as a collective prior to the cessation of said play-in, and then hold a second lottery to determine whom among the 8 actually won the pick, so it is a little weird.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The 8 teams eliminated in the play-in prior to the playoffs will be included in the lottery. Though they'll only be represented as a collective prior to the cessation of said play-in, and then hold a second lottery to determine whom among the 8 actually won the pick, so it is a little weird.
That maybe the dumbest thing I ever heard. If you get playoff games and extra revenue to don't deserve a top pick. None of those teams should pick until all non playoff/tournament teams get a pick.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Yeah I wasn't trying to say that Rasmussen was physically done developing. I just don't think it's holding him back at all. I think his other skills are holding him back and he can't use his weight to get away with them. I think on draft night, Rasmussen was physically NHL capable. He looked like a man, not a boy. Sure he had another 15% body mass to pack on and when he does he'll become a beast that can push NHL players around.
You mean like a new age Milan Lucic, at the other end of the scale just starting out. Does Rasmussen hit at all? Or just crushes the odd player by happen-chance when he bumps into somebody?
I truly do not know as I have not seen him play and only recall a few highlights of him pre-draft.
However if he's going to be more than Boyle with Holmstrom hands I think he needs to be a good NHL player at this size. He needs to be an effective hockey player that's also so big it let's him dominate. Instead I think he's an ineffective hockey player that will be so big that it let's him be effective. I think on draft night he was much more physically developed than most 18 year olds, especially at his height. I think he still can make strength gains, but if he was the player I keep wishing he was, I think he'd be better without having to. I still think that shooting, passing and puck skills are his biggest weaknesses and we're waiting on him to be so big he can get away with them.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Has there been any talk on if Torrey Krug might sign in Detroit? He’s from Michigan and they have the cap space to sign him. Only problem is they don’t look like they will be competitive. Maybe Yzerman could trade for a star player to convince Krug the team can be competitive. Similar to how LA acquired Paul George to lure Kawhi Leonard. Thoughts?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I thought aliens would be next, but apparently 2020 skipped a step and now I'm agreeing with Milbury. What is this world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad