Around the NHL 2019-2020 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Does anyone has the highlight of the drailsailt's goal?
It was this week I believe. He wanted to pass to his defenceman, the puck hits the opponent's skate and flies over the goalie should. It is of the strangest goals ever.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I agree with your first paragraph but I'd say a more optimistic ceiling/comparable play-style would be Anders Lee rather than Brian Boyle with hands. I understand why that upsets a lot of people on these boards considering Ras was the Wings highest pick in years and he doesn't look to be a flashy/dynamic player capable of carrying a line but rather a meat and potatoes complimentary player.

Strongly disagree with your second paragraph though, it is so extremely rare for an 18 year old to be a finished product physically. They may be in good shape for their age but just about every player has to make significant improvements from draft day to make the NHL, it takes time to mature and fully grow into their bodies considering most growth occurs from 16-18 years old. It's especially true for guys who are over 6'3'' where coordination can become an issue and there is even more frame to build muscle on. There is a reason why a lot of 18 year olds struggle in the NCAA playing against 22-24 year olds, because there's a lot of developing that occurs over just that 3 to 4 year period. Mantha was a good skater for his size but he still had to make gains in that area to become a more effective NHL player and Ras will have to do the same. From watching Ras last season I'd say strength/balance are his biggest issues, he got rag-dolled a lot from crosschecks or any other physical battles down low in the offensive zone. I wouldn't be shocked if it takes anywhere from 2-4 years until he completely fills out and becomes a beast in front of the net and below the goal line, so I'm willing to be patient with him until then. Not to mention their is a decently long list of NHL players over 6'4'' that didn't break out until their mid to late twenties

Yeah I wasn't trying to say that Rasmussen was physically done developing. I just don't think it's holding him back at all. I think his other skills are holding him back and he can't use his weight to get away with them. I think on draft night, Rasmussen was physically NHL capable. He looked like a man, not a boy. Sure he had another 15% body mass to pack on and when he does he'll become a beast that can push NHL players around.

However if he's going to be more than Boyle with Holmstrom hands I think he needs to be a good NHL player at this size. He needs to be an effective hockey player that's also so big it let's him dominate. Instead I think he's an ineffective hockey player that will be so big that it let's him be effective. I think on draft night he was much more physically developed than most 18 year olds, especially at his height. I think he still can make strength gains, but if he was the player I keep wishing he was, I think he'd be better without having to. I still think that shooting, passing and puck skills are his biggest weaknesses and we're waiting on him to be so big he can get away with them.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
All but one team in metropolitan division, NJD who just destroyed us 4 to 1 on home ice, are better than the leafs who might make playoffs anyway.

I do not like this new format.

BTW we have not won a single game vs metropolitan teams.

Reactions: MBH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad