Around the NHL 2019-2020 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Penguins were chasing Zucker before, too, but Kessel rejected that trade. He's a guy they specifically think is perfect for their team, so it seems they were willing to pay whatever it takes for that. Zucker is like AA without the perceived attitude and effort issues.

The Pens are better today than yesterday. As long as Malkin and Crosby are still elite players, moves like this will make sense. Their window is today, not whenever that late 1st round pick hits the NHL in 3+ years. I understand and agree with their mindset, but we'll see if Zucker is that difference maker for them.
I didn't realize they were so into Zucker. Well if they think he's perfect for them then I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I certainly see the logic and totally agree that they should make as many runs with this core as they can. I just wouldn't have paid that price personally.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I didn't realize they were so into Zucker. Well if they think he's perfect for them then I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I certainly see the logic and totally agree that they should make as many runs with this core as they can. I just wouldn't have paid that price personally.

It's a tough scenario. I don't think Minnesota needed to move Zucker. They obviously wanted Kessel, but when that went off the table, the Pens had to offer something else of value to them.

So do you "overpay" to get the player you think is perfect? I'm in wait and see mode. My initial reaction was "Woah, way too much for Zucker" but the more I thought about it from the Penguins management perspective, I'm starting to come around to why you'd pull the trigger on a deal like this. If my options are keep my late 1st round pick or get Crosby and Malkin another weapon immediately... yeah, I try to get them a weapon.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
It's a tough scenario. I don't think Minnesota needed to move Zucker. They obviously wanted Kessel, but when that went off the table, the Pens had to offer something else of value to them.

So do you "overpay" to get the player you think is perfect? I'm in wait and see mode. My initial reaction was "Woah, way too much for Zucker" but the more I thought about it from the Penguins management perspective, I'm starting to come around to why you'd pull the trigger on a deal like this. If my options are keep my late 1st round pick or get Crosby and Malkin another weapon immediately... yeah, I try to get them a weapon.

If the Penguins could have paid just the first and Galchenyuk (Addison is a significant add, the centerpiece even) for AA do you think something like that would have been smarter? That's my first thought. They could have targeted someone else and kept Addison and gotten a similar player.

Zucker was expensive because he has a good defensive reputation and has years on his contract remaining. If it was just about loading up, I think they could have done better. However if they're in love with Zucker and expect him to be a good compliment for Crosby (very feasible) then they pay that price. We'll see if Zucker proves me wrong or the Pens right.

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ummm...

Bouwmeester leaves from bench on stretcher; Blues-Ducks game postponed
The game between the St. Louis Blues and Anaheim Ducks on Tuesday was postponed after Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester collapsed in the bench area in the first period.

Bouwmeester was taken from the bench on a stretcher and the game was stopped with 7:50 remaining in the period at Honda Center in Anaheim.
"Due to the medical emergency involving Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, tonight's game has been postponed and it will be made up at a later date," the NHL said in a statement.

There was no immediate update on Bouwmeester's condition. FOX Sports Midwest reported he was taken to the hopsital.

Having flashbacks to Jiri Fischer. Hope J Bow is OK.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Really looks like Fischer situation. Cardiac episode.... career over.

Wish him well though!

36-years old, won a Stanley Cup after 18-years of career. You have everything. Life and success.

MintBerryCrunch

Aug 20, 2014
Auburn Hills
Caught that on SportsCenter believe it or not right after it happened. Buccigross was concerned at the time and they phoned in Pang. Hope to hear some good news soon.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You think he's really a wash out?
Could be. I haven't watched much NJ this year.
My guess is there are teams that would take him on and pay a good price if NJ eats substantial cap.

He's been pretty bad. For his standards and his contract. Which is shocking to me, I was all about acquiring him from Nashville but good gravy was I wrong. Bullet dodged.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You think he's really a wash out?
Could be. I haven't watched much NJ this year.
My guess is there are teams that would take him on and pay a good price if NJ eats substantial cap.
Even at a reduced price, I'm not sure he's worth having in the lineup. There is data showing Jersey plays better when he's not on the ice.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wonder if Subban has a core injury or something, he just doesn't look right at all. He has lost a couple steps, reminds me of the guys right before they announce a sports hernia.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I wonder if Subban has a core injury or something, he just doesn't look right at all. He has lost a couple steps, reminds me of the guys right before they announce a sports hernia.

A lot of people have been blaming it on his off-ice lifestyle. Like hockey isn't his #1 priority anymore. And calling his fitness into question. That's a cheap accusation, but when someone's play goes from elite dynamic defender to passable 2nd PP option by age 30... you're left with a lot of questions.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I still cannot believe we have 20 more games left in the season.

Can't imagine being a Toronto/Florida fan right now. I am expecting those two teams to stay within a couple points of one another for the rest of the season.

The question is do I want to see the Leafs miss the playoffs and enjoy all the drama surrounding that, or do I want to see the Leafs face off against the Bruins again and either exercise their demons or go out against them for the third season in a row? Also if Tampa Bay can't catch Boston would it be more fun to see a battle for Florida?

So many possibilities in this playoff race.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I still cannot believe we have 20 more games left in the season.

Can't imagine being a Toronto/Florida fan right now. I am expecting those two teams to stay within a couple points of one another for the rest of the season.

The question is do I want to see the Leafs miss the playoffs and enjoy all the drama surrounding that, or do I want to see the Leafs face off against the Bruins again and either exercise their demons or go out against them for the third season in a row? Also if Tampa Bay can't catch Boston would it be more fun to see a battle for Florida?

So many possibilities in this playoff race.

also do we want the chance of the leafs winning the draft lottery?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Vilardi.
First NHL game. Scores on his first shot 10 seconds into his first shift.
Sets up Frk with a beauty pass for the 4-3 goal.
Named game's first star.
Finishes the game 1-1-2 +2 2 shots 13-3 on faceoffs. 15:10

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad