Around the NHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
None of those players are coming here. I'd not mind a look at Djoos except he's a LD and we need a RD.

Otherwise Sprong and Ho Sang aren't going to be better than Tolvanen who didn't make the team, ANH and NYI need offensive weapons and they waived these guys, so... And Baertschi isn't good, especially with his cap hit.

Yeah. I don't it's likely, but just because they aren't better than Tolvanen doesn't mean you pass on a free asset that still has upside. Ho Sang and Sprong both have really high upside, and minimal risk. You let Tolvanen develop if you want to and grab another freebie asset. I think Petan is an interesting name too.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The only thing we might arguably have room for is a competent RD. All of those draft-pedigree scoring types are on waivers precisely because they a) can't crack an NHL top-6 forward role, and b) suck at playing a bottom-6 forward role. There's no room for any of those guys here, regardless of how "intriguing" they might look... if you were running an expansion team. We are not an expansion team.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Surprised Washington came back, held on and won. Their defense was kind of shaky all night, only Carlson and Orlov really looked like quality NHL defenders, a big difference from their Cup winning pairs. But Ovechkin was ready for this season to start, still so dangerous.

Faulk fit right in for St. Louis, I felt like he's been very underrated for a while on HF as a side effect of being involved in so many trade rumors. Not the greatest in his own end, but no slouch either and he can really move the puck.

Now VGK-SJS is a game where I hope the building implodes!

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Surprised Washington came back, held on and won. Their defense was kind of shaky all night, only Carlson and Orlov really looked like quality NHL defenders, a big difference from their Cup winning pairs. But Ovechkin was ready for this season to start, still so dangerous.

I don't know- after St. Louis early flurry, I thought the Caps were the better team- the Blues only had 22 shots on goal in over 60 minutes.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
8 years, 6.5 AAV for Schenn. 6.5 isn't bad but 8 years for a 28 year old of Schenn's caliber seems questionable.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
8 years, 6.5 AAV for Schenn. 6.5 isn't bad but 8 years for a 28 year old of Schenn's caliber seems questionable.
It's not questionable, it's terrible.
Good thing for them is that they paid for his prime not his latter years. Those are the years I believe they had to pay to keep him.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Well, we do have 2 x 28 year olds att 7/8 Years X 8/6,25 Mill ourselves and looking to sign så 30 year old at 8 Years X 9-10 mill next summer.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

Questionable for a 60 point center? We gave 8 million over 8 years to a 60 point center. We gave Ellis 8 years in his late 20s. Duchene got 8 years and he turns 29 this season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Schenn is 2 years younger than Turris? I guess I'd rather have 8x$6.5M for Schenn than 6x$6M for Turris, then. If we needed a center, anyway (which of course we don't). But Schenn scores as well or better than Turris and plays a heavier game. I mean, I wouldn't have offered Schenn that contract either. But we're in a bit of a glass house here lately to be sure... :oops:

Reactions: Legionnaire11

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Well, we do have 2 x 28 year olds att 7/8 Years X 8/6,25 Mill ourselves and looking to sign så 30 year old at 8 Years X 9-10 mill next summer.
Current contract signings have set unreasonable standards. Everybody wants what everybody else got. The prices are inflated and the term out of sight. Mediocre to very good players are now getting superstar salaries and terms. It is going to lead to labor problems again. Owners just cannot hold the line on reasonable salary budgets out of fear of being outdone. Then the agents begin to promise the players similar big bucks. For us fans, it’ll all come crashing down in the near future. So sad.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Questionable for a 60 point center? We gave 8 million over 8 years to a 60 point center. We gave Ellis 8 years in his late 20s. Duchene got 8 years and he turns 29 this season.

Couple of things here. Ryan Johansen's current contract kicked in when he was 25, 29 for Schenn. Point production, Johansen was a 60 point center 4 seasons at the time of the extension (not to mention a 1C for a number of seasons), Schenn 1 season at 60 and 1 season at the 1C and back at the 2C spot now.

Ellis and Duchene are closer comparables though, especially Duchene. But I think the argument could be made considering the differences in both play styles, and position, Schenn's contract will not age well, which concludes when he is 36. 36 for Ellis, 33 for Johansen, 35 for Duchene. That's some extra term for guy that likes to throw the body.

Last edited:

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Couple of things here. Ryan Johansen's current contract kicked in when he was 25, 29 for Schenn. Point production, Johansen was a 60 point center 4 seasons at the time of the extension (not to mention a 1C for a number of seasons), Schenn 1 season at 60 and 1 season at the 1C and back at the 2C spot now.

Ellis and Duchene are closer comparables though, especially Duchene. But I think the argument could be made considering the differences in both play styles, and position, Schenn's contract will not age well, which concludes when he is 36. 36 for Ellis, 33 for Johansen, 35 for Duchene. That's some extra term for guy that likes to throw the body.

Joey's contract taking up more of his prime years is reflected in the AAV. 8 vs 6.5 for Schenn. Schenn became a 60pt guy starting in 15-16. Since that time Schenn is at .76ppg; Joey .74ppg. Look, I get Joey's contract ate up more of his prime years and when Joey received that contract he was somewhat getting paid for what people thought he might be after his 63 and 71pt seasons with CBJ, but the bottom line is right now they are both 60pt players. Joey and Duchene are better than Schenn, but it's not a big difference.

Fair point about his physical style of play. I'm sure they didn't want to give him 8 years. The Blues had to do what the Preds and pretty much any other contender has to do. Give out long term contracts to somewhat "aging" core players so they can keep their AAV down and contend for as long as possible. Preds did it with Ellis, Duchene, and soon to be Josi. In a few years they will have to potentially do for Ekholm and Forsberg. Sucks but it's the price of trying to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad