Series Talk: Around the NHL - 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Second Round

Who will advance to the Conference Finals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
The worst fans how?
I suppose that fits in along with the hypothesis that Cheveldayoff has zero to do with drafting and developing so many roster players playing right now.

I think the Jets fans are one of the most likeable in the league. Cheveldayoff wasn´t very liked by Jets fans themselves for years prior to this year.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Anyone remember those promos NHL was tweeting out with country music stars standing next to the cup Nashville has never won and rooting them on? What a huge jinx that was.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I think the Jets fans are one of the most likeable in the league. Cheveldayoff wasn´t very liked by Jets fans themselves for years prior to this year.
I understand the human factor. We all have our reasons for hating a certain team and their fanbase in general. Anyone who hates the Jets fans, I guess it's no different from my not being impressed by Penguins fans, or Habs or Leafs fans.
When it comes to Cheveldayoff, I am not trying to nominate him for Builder in the HHOF, but I have read here on HFNYR that he did nothing, and just stepped into the job and voila, instant ascension in the standings just by showing up. I also read that all success is in spite of the fact that players don't want to play there because it is too cold. Ha. Too cold for a hockey player. Good one!
If a GM is at the helm when so many players are drafted, and those players prove to be good NHL players that make the roster and prove themselves, anybody stating that that GM deserves no credit is simply wrong. I would not know what forms their bias, but I am just pointing it out.
Sure, many supporters of every team hurl criticism at their FO until things get good. They will resume hurling rocks again when things get shady again. That's just human nature born of emotion and not necessarily tied to logic and fact.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
So how often are we going to hear people try to argue that this team should go HAM this summer and turn it around in a year because Winnipeg missed the playoffs a season ago and look amazing now?
I think most of us realize it took Winnipeg a very long time to build this roster and let it develop. This wave of Winnipeg first round draft picks has finally all met up at the same time to produce a very fast, big and talented team. I don't even need to look it up to know that many of their first round picks from the last what 5 or 6 years are paying dividends with the maturing of Hellebuyck. Something we haven't had in forever. I think we realize we are gonna have to be patient and hopefully have 4 or 5 years of keeping our first rounders and making the right picks. Hopefully by end of next year we would have had at least 7 first round picks in three years.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
All that Nashville love on here from last year has simply vanished lol

Phoicon

Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
I understand the human factor. We all have our reasons for hating a certain team. Anyone who hates the Jets fans, I guess it's no different from my not being impressed by Penguins fans, or Habs or Leafs fans.
When it comes to Cheveldayoff, I am not trying to nominate for Builder in the HHOF, but I have read here on HFNYR that he did nothing, and just stepped into the job and voila, instant ascension in the standings just by showing up.
If a GM is at the helm when so many players are drafted, and those players prove to be good NHL players that make the roster and prove themselves, anybody stating that that GM deserves no credit is simply wrong. I would not know what forms their bias, but I am just pointing it out.
Sure, every team's supporters hurl criticism at their FO until things get good. They will resume hurling rocks again when things get shady again. That's just human nature born of emotion and not necessarily tied to logic and fact.

The ascension in the standings happened after 5 years of missing playoffs, accumulating talent via the draft and fielding a team that was not competitive. The two first years he did not do a single trade. I think there are good grounds to dismiss Cheveldayoff´s contributions by NYR fans as this approach will be very unlikely to work in New York and people in New York will never judge things by Winnipeg standards in anything.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Unnecessary attitude but whatever. Poor goaltending was a much bigger factor than any gameplan. When’s the last time a game 7 started with TWO brutal goals?

The poor goaltending changed the gameplan. They were allowed to play a defense first strategy for 2 periods.

I would be surprised if their game plan changed. The goal of most road teams in game 7 is to try to get a lead and play ultra-conservative with it. How they got that lead has no bearing on that. You really dont think part of their gameplan was how they would handle themselves after getting a lead?

Poor goaltending doesnt explain 1 goal from the Predators. Nor does the soft goal given up by Lundqvist early in the 3rd in game 7 against the Lightning explain the Rangers getting shut out.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
The ascension in the standings happened after 5 years of missing playoffs, accumulating talent via the draft and fielding a team that was not competitive. The two first years he did not do a single trade. I think there are good grounds to dismiss Cheveldayoff´s contributions by NYR fans as this approach will be very unlikely to work in New York and people in New York will never judge things by Winnipeg standards in anything.

I disagree that there are grounds to dismiss Cheveldayoff's contributions.
Some folks say he did nothing. That is the crux of it, nice and blunt and simple. No overthinking required.

Winnipeg's strategy is not even a candidate for comparison to New York Rangers, even academically. It would be difficult to find two teams in more disparate situations than these two, over the last four or five seasons.
All that matters is whether a team does well with the chances afforded them. My point is that the Jets have done well. The proof is what we see. We know that it is not smoke and mirrors. We know that they are not doing some kind of last gasp stretch for a final run at the end of their acknowledged window.

Last edited:

Phoicon

Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
I disagree that there are grounds to dismiss Cheveldayoff's contributions. Winnipeg's strategy is not even a candidate for comparison to New York Rangers, even academically. It would be difficult to find two teams in more disparate situations than these two, over the last four or five seasons.
All that matters is whether a team does well with the chances afforded them. My point is that the Jets have done well. The proof is what we see. We know that it is not smoke and mirrors. We know that they are not doing some kind of last gasp stretch for a final run at the end of their acknowledged window.

6 seasons of misery and being passive is unacceptable by any standards and Jets fans were not simply being emotional for pointing that out. Additionally, we compare everything to New York since this is a NYR board. The Jets will have to win a cup for most here to appreciate them.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
6 seasons of misery and being passive is unacceptable by any standards and Jets fans were not simply being emotional for pointing that out. Additionally, we compare everything to New York since this is a NYR board. The Jets will have to win a cup for most here to appreciate them.
Phoicon, I like your posts but I guess we don't click on this one.
I see no reason for a die-hard NYR fan to not appreciate or see, completely distinct from anything related to the Rangers, the merits of or credit due another organization.
It's 'Around the NHL'. No need to compare anything to NYR. Surely that is what we do as observers and lovers of hockey.

If 'being passive' includes developing your prospects, maybe not such a bad thing.

Phoicon

Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Phoicon, I like your posts but I guess we don't click on this one.
I see no reason for a die-hard NYR fan to not appreciate or see, completely distinct from anything related to the Rangers, the merits of or credit due another organization.
It's 'Around the NHL'. No need to compare anything to NYR. Surely that is what we do as observers and lovers of hockey.

If 'being passive' includes developing your prospects, maybe not such a bad thing.

No worries & thanks for the kind words. Let´s leave it at that.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Do not ever malign the regal shrew.

Then put it on a conference finalist.

giphy.gif

Reactions: trilobyte

Phoicon

Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
I am so tired already of this "Presidents Trophy curse" on social media.

It's not a curse when it's still the best chance to win the Cup. Out of all seeds, the no 1 overall seed still has the highest win percentage

What is mathematically knowable even with a small effort and what is easy to communicate to the multitude has seldom been more far apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad