Around the NHL - 2018 Stanley Cup Champions, the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
and I also have no clue what it has to do with fancy stats...does he think because there is a 3 in there it makes it an advanced stat? lol
I could be wrong but my interpretation of that was Doughty doesn’t understand the math to structure his contract better, so he probably also has a tough time understanding advanced stats

Basically they’re shitting on his math skills

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I mean, congrats on feeling confident in yourself to negotiate a multi-million dollar contract for what is likely the rest of your playing career, but...uh...take a hint dude. The contract you negotiated for yourself is not good.

It's like a 6-year old girl doing her own make up and everyone is saying how great she looks just to be polite

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
What is it about Doughty that makes me want to punch him in the face?

(His inability to understand the importance of contract structure aside.)

Absolutely, thought I was the only one. Hated him in his draft year too. Heck of a player, but can't stand him otherwise.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Doughty: 20m signing bonus, 68m base salary
Tavares: 70.89m signing bonus, 6.11m base salary
Price: 70m signing bonus, 14m base salary

Yeah, Doughty did a bang up job negotiating himself :laugh:

McDonagh went through an agent and it broke down: $0 signing bonus, $47.25m base salary. Perhaps it's more that some people like a larger regular paycheck rather than one big check and lots of little ones.

Also, I'm not sure how exactly it works for salaries of this size, but I know I've had bonuses taxed at a higher rate than salary in the past. So maybe that factors in as well.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
McDonagh went through an agent and it broke down: $0 signing bonus, $47.25m base salary. Perhaps it's more that some people like a larger regular paycheck rather than one big check and lots of little ones.

Also, I'm not sure how exactly it works for salaries of this size, but I know I've had bonuses taxed at a higher rate than salary in the past. So maybe that factors in as well.

Pretty sure when you get to these amounts the annual tax rate is the same.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised. Just a thought.

Let's assume the taxes are lower for the base salary (which at those numbers seem to be unlikely to me): The signing bonus is guaranteed money in case of a lock out or buy out. That far outweighs taxes being higher in my opinion.

Reactions: Off Sides

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Maybe some guys have larger month-to-month expenses.

But yeah, understanding even something about time value of money could also be beneficial.

The signing bonus is paid at the start of the season though. It should not affect their ability to spend money later on.

Reactions: Off Sides

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Maybe the LA is just being a good little boy and laying off signing bonuses like Papa Gary told them to. Don't want to mess with his scheduled lockout to roll back... uhh... umm... let's see, ah, contract length. "The lengths of contracts are squeezing small market teams and they are not turning profits. My friend Eugene had to trade his franchise defenseman because he can't match the big markets. The media played other nonsense up, but they're a fine franchise. Blame those players!"

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There is no way they can do both without becoming too top heavy. Stamkos is already slowing down .

They would be top heavy, for sure, but that top end would be amazing. Other teams have done it and been able to compete. Pitt had Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury and some rotating higher cap hit wingers when the cap was lower. The key is to keep the young players coming and make smart moves on the right players.

Reactions: Doctor King Schultz

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
BTW on 31 thoughts podcast Friedman says he thinks ek65 wants to go to the bolts and would sign a deal there no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->