Around the NHL - 2018 Stanley Cup Champions, the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Really don't like his skating tbh

Strong long legs, he'll be absolutely fine.

People have been looking for negatives, yet I think his skating is now underrated. Players with real skating issues don't get in on the forecheck the way he does.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Kotka is a fine player and I would have been thrilled with him at 9. The skating will sort it self out once he gets used to his long gangly body.

I think hes a bit of a reach at 3, but if hes your guy take your guy.

After the top 2 there is really no consensus on the next 7 players.

And here we are looking at hundreds of prospects for this draft, a matter of 6 draft spots makes someone 'a reach', I really don't think it should work like that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think there’s a misconception that the skating is bad. It’s not bad, it’s just not necessarily higher end.

For me, I’m less sold on the hands and vision as I am the skating.

Both check off as good or very good. Just not what I’d quite envision for a top line center.

Kotkaniemi looked very impressive against kids after playing with men. But against men, he also benefitted from a team that played a style he is well suited for and by playing wing with some vets.

I’ll be perfectly blunt. When it comes to Finnish players, a lot of them can look really good in the right system before they come over.

Reactions: Inferno

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Since everyone needs a crazy take: David Gustafsson could be the second-best centre available in the draft.

A nice get for us with the 28th overall. A steal with the 39th overall. And no, he does not play like Andersson at all - he just played in the bottom 6.

In-depth profile with stats here: CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #27 David Gustafsson

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
He's a bit of a reach in the 1st, no?

Not really, even though some may call me crazy. He is the right pick at 28th as long as we take Nils Lundkvist or Bokk or Kaut with the 26th :)

The thing is, his stats trended upwards at the end of the season in the SHL when the play gets tighter. Which indicates that he is due to have a break-out season as a true 18-year-old. And could be AHL bound or even knocking on the NHL door by 19-20. I always try to look at players trending upwards who have a chance to break out in a top league against men. He is one of those players.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No way... if AV coaches that team, their goals against will go up like 30% from last year just because of the lack of defensive structure.

But they'll still continue to score 4-6 goals/game
Did you watch a single game of theirs under the Dead Weight doomsday defense? The only way they could possibly give up more goals was if they played every game with an empty net.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Is there something about this Domi/Galchenyuk trade that I’m missing? Why do people think this is bad for Montreal?

The disappointment in Montreal goes beyond just this trade, many feel like it's a continuation of Bergevin not getting fair value for the pieces he's trading and not getting a center in return when Montreal needs one so desperately. Weekes and Reid break it down here:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
9pw2Yy7.jpg

Pn9E1kH.jpg

This says it all

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
9pw2Yy7.jpg

Pn9E1kH.jpg

This says it all

Man that center ice lineup yikes. They have zero stability at center. No one who can really play a 200 foot game.I watched them quite a bit last year and they aren't terrible at the wing. Byron, Patioready, Lehkonen, Domi and especially Gallagher are decent wingers. Scherbak actually might have a decent career as a second line winger. With all those second round picks (4) I'm sure they will be doing lots of drafting at the d position. Would make sense if they trade down and grab Kotkaniemi or just grab him at 3.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They’re doing a better job of tearing it down than we are except they’re trying to compete

Yes haha. If they traded those for futures, I'd understand but man.

Drouin for Sergachev
Subban for Weber
Galchenyuk for Domi
Eller for Shaw (basically, since both were traded for the same package)

and to a lesser degree:
Andrighetto for Martinsen

Reactions: TheTakedown

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Is there something about this Domi/Galchenyuk trade that I’m missing? Why do people think this is bad for Montreal?

Probably the biggest reason is on paper Galchenyuk scored 30 plus goals in a season. Domi scored 9 goals last year I believe. Domi brings other things and is probably a bit better than his numbers have shown. Montreal fans feel Galchenyuk is much more offensively talented. Also I feel Montreal fans expected to use the Galchenyuk trade chip to possibly grab a 1st or 2nd line centerman.

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He's a bit of a reach in the 1st, no?
The thing is that if you see him as a legit player it doesn't matter if he was reach. If he ends up as a good player the fact that he was a reach will be completely irrelevant. Just get the guy you think will be a hit.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Man that center ice lineup yikes. They have zero stability at center. No one who can really play a 200 foot game.I watched them quite a bit last year and they aren't terrible at the wing. Byron, Patioready, Lehkonen, Domi and especially Gallagher are decent wingers. Scherbak actually might have a decent career as a second line winger. With all those second round picks (4) I'm sure they will be doing lots of drafting at the d position. Would make sense if they trade down and grab Kotkaniemi or just grab him at 3.

index.jpg

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think it’s based on perceived upside and pure skills.

Domi has never quite been viewed as having the same upside as Galchenyuk and probably hasn’t had quite the same career crest to this point. So if you’re a Montreal fan, you’re looking at a trade involving two guys with similar PPG numbers, but you’re giving up a lot of goals and the higher (perceived) upside.

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Probably the biggest reason is on paper Galchenyuk scored 30 plus goals in a season. Domi scored 9 goals last year I believe. Domi brings other things and is probably a bit better than his numbers have shown. Montreal fans feel Galchenyuk is much more offensively talented. Also I feel Montreal fans expected to use the Galchenyuk trade chip to possibly grab a 1st or 2nd line centerman.

Also; 4 of 9 goals were empty net goals

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Little slow on the uptake. JUST saw all the Ott gf nonsense.

It's funny, I read posts that were rightfully horrified, questioning how humanity has people so low that they're capable of saying such horrible things, etc. It struck me as odd. How is it a surprise that eventually some personal feud bt hockey players or their family would result in someone trolling? Then I was like "Jesus, I've seen too much crap. I think it might be NORMAL to be shocked instead of seeing it as business as usual". Or maybe the internet is just that awful that really it should be looked at as business as usual.

Net anonymity on sites allowing personal communication really sucks bc of what it brings out in people.

That said, reading about Ott burning down...couldn't happen to a more **** fanbase

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad