Around the NHL - 2018 Stanley Cup Champions, the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Ah, yes, the annual June trade from Bergevin. Gotta love Montreal player management. Can't score for anything so they trade for wingers and wonder why they don't produce like top line centers. Bergevin saving money for that big Jack Johnson signing July 1st.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
In my mind there is a scale of "guys I do not want to trade with". One side is chayka and the other is yzerman. Aaaand the scale just tipped back to chayka.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
In my mind there is a scale of "guys I do not want to trade with". One side is chayka and the other is yzerman. Aaaand the scale just tipped back to chayka.
Why? It's a good trade....I can't really say who won. I like galchenyuks upside but he does have the off ice issues..domi has diabetes...there's a lot of aspects to this. I think it's a decent deal for both teams..especially when its obvious both players needed a change of scenery

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
A lot of salary cap implications. Galchenyuk has two years left at $4.9MM before UFA. Domi coming off entry level and has four years of team control. Probably doing a bridge deal. I’m surprised Arizona took on that much salary. Montreal now has a ton of cap space available but who knows what their plan is.

This feels like both teams adding by subtracting. Galchenyuk is never going to be a center. That was clearly a fractured relationship. No one who knows is talking about what went wrong with Domi in Arizona but I think he never got along with Tocchet. Both needed a change of scenery.

No real implications for the draft. Montreal still needs help at center. Arizona is BPA. Implication for the Rangers is that two serviceable wings are now off the market. Less competition for sellers, especially with those who has beaucoup wings available.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
A lot of salary cap implications. Galchenyuk has two years left at $4.9MM before UFA. Domi coming off entry level and has four years of team control. Probably doing a bridge deal. I’m surprised Arizona took on that much salary. Montreal now has a ton of cap space available but who knows what their plan is.

This feels like both teams adding by subtracting. Galchenyuk is never going to be a center. That was clearly a fractured relationship. No one who knows is talking about what went wrong with Domi in Arizona but I think he never got along with Tocchet. Both needed a change of scenery.

No real implications for the draft. Montreal still needs help at center. Arizona is BPA. Implication for the Rangers is that two serviceable wings are now off the market. Less competition for sellers, especially with those who has beaucoup wings available.
Chayka said he wouldn’t have done the trade if he didn’t think Galchenyuk could play center.

Seems they’ll be trying at center (like Montreal should have).

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Chayka said he wouldn’t have done the trade if he didn’t think Galchenyuk could play center.

Seems they’ll be trying at center (like Montreal should have).
Montreal drafted him as a center and wanted him to be a center. They tried him extensively at center over the last several years and they gave up. He doesn’t have a 200 foot game. I wish them luck but I’ve seen this movie. When the Rangers were rumored to be interested last year, I watched a ton of Montreal games. He’s a left wing.

That said, I think he can be a pretty good player. Change of scenery will help.

Reactions: Phoicon

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Why? It's a good trade....I can't really say who won. I like galchenyuks upside but he does have the off ice issues..domi has diabetes...there's a lot of aspects to this. I think it's a decent deal for both teams..especially when its obvious both players needed a change of scenery
It's not terrible, just like the Stepan trade wasn't terrible. I just found Chayka and Yzerman to be very calculating and patient. They have a price and usually wait long enough to get it. This was in the works at the deadline.

I think the consensus is Arizona should have added a little more. Domi and his dad were actively working to get him traded. His production is slipping despite favorable linemates. He either privately demanded a trade and/or was about to make a public one. At least with Galchenyuk you can point to 4th line minutes, lots of disruption.

Is not a fleecing but chayka stuck to his price. Got a good return on a potentially bad situation. I think many GMs would have just made the small add at the deadline to get it done.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Montreal is going to draft kotkaniemi either they trade down to do it or take him on the spot. He’s risen that fast and the need is that great for them.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
There are maybe a half dozen teams in the league that I would wish this level of management evil on, and Montreal is one of them.

I've also got to revel in a couple decades of TML insanity and Garth Snow/Mike Milbury bumbling through the Isles' offices.

Legit, my favourite non-Ranger thing that has happened in the league since the lockout is when Fletcher signed Finger to that outrageous contract, thinking that he was Kurt Sauer.

But watching MB implode the Canadiens has also been thoroughly enjoyable.

#smallblessings

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Finger signing is so weird. It's wrapped in mystery. It would not surprise me if a GM signed the wrong player because they look alike haha

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The Finger signing is so weird. It's wrapped in mystery. It would not surprise me if a GM signed the wrong player because they look alike haha

I'm completely sold on Fletcher mixing up Finger and Sauer haha. I remember reading a few breakdowns of it, that laid out some pretty damning evidence. Mismanagement at a level you would never think possible.

The repercussions weren't as drastic as Feaster's offer sheet to O'Reilly could have been, but the level of incompetency is just off the charts.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm not so sure this trade is as egregious as everyone is making it to be, but Montreal definitely lost this one.

I've been posting all summer that I'd be surprised if Chayka dealt Domi, but meant in the sense that I was sure Chayka would not be selling low on Domi after a couple of bad Sh% years. This deal is an obvious case of getting good value of an asset, so I consider myself to be only half wrong :)

Think this pours a lot more fuel on the fire of a potential Kotkaniemi pick at 3OA when MTL drafts for need instead of BPA. Will laugh hysterically when Ottawa still takes Tkachuk and Chayka comes out of this with Zadina.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Koktaniemi belongs up at the top with all the other names. He'll be better or just as valuable as some of the floaters he's grouped with. If the Rangers had #3 I'd have no problems taking him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad