Around the NHL: 2018-2019 (Part 3) Regular Season Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Add the Rangers to the list of teams in the East who haven't just blown by us but have also lapped us. It's amazing what a competent coach and competent management can do.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Add the Rangers to the list of teams in the East who haven't just blown by us but have also lapped us. It's amazing what a competent coach and competent management can do.
How so? I haven't watched their games, but they started 0-3-0 and are 2-4-1, winning just two of their first seven. I can't imagine this board would be any happier in that case

Reactions: sabrebuild

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
How so? I haven't watched their games, but they started 0-3-0 and are 2-4-1, winning just two of their first seven. I can't imagine this board would be any happier in that case
Their record is deceiving as they have been competitive in just about every game they have played. We really have yet to play a single game so far where you could say we looked better than our opponent. Even our wins were nothing to write home about.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Their record is deceiving as they have been competitive in just about every game they have played. We really have yet to play a single game so far where you could say we looked better than our opponent. Even our wins were nothing to write home about.
There are a lot of deceiving things when the sample size is six games.

There's no f*cking way I'd switch place with that organization with all of the information we have available to us right this second

Reactions: sabrebuild

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There are a lot of deceiving things when the sample size is six games.

There's no f*cking way I'd switch place with that organization with all of the information we have available to us right this second
Judging by current player assetts yes, but their coach is doing more with less. Our coach is doing the exact opposite. And I didn't even mention that it's pretty much a sure thing Panarin ends up a rag this offseason.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Judging by current player assetts yes, but their coach is doing more with less. Our coach is doing the exact opposite. And I didn't even mention that it's pretty much a sure thing Panarin ends up a rag this offseason.
This is what worries me with Olofsson, Nylander, Pilut and to some extent CJ Smith and Asplund.

Calling these players up with Housley as the coach I am sure he will have them playing 8 minutes a game on the 4th line or 6th D-Man.

Reactions: sabremike

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
You would think...

:dunno:

This contract should have taken no more then week. Like what the heck could the hold up of been? The guys numbers are terrible, he couldn’t have possibly been demanding more then what he got...he was lucky to get term. He had zero leverage.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
That his meeting with Bettman right? After that it can still go to an arbitrator as well I think.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
“Shots from the point are going the way of the dodo”. True but aren’t most teams using an umbrella configuration so they can set up the 1 timer from the top of the circle? (Jacks favorite set up spot. ). So I guess the wording is technically wrong but the assessment is correct. Big blasters from the BLUE LINE are passé.

The key is more shots from the slot. But that means you have to make successful passes into the slot area that result in quality shots. I guess that’s Sheary’s job these days? And have your man down low go to the net/crease area for rebounds, screenings, etc. I.e.; get dirty as Sam did so well at the end of last season.

Thanks for sharing this JB. Very instructive.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Slowly, VERY SLOWLY, point men are learning not to wind up and take the big slapper. That just gets blocked, or even worse, ricocheted off to the neutral zone for an opposing break away.

On net > slapper. It really is that simple. I've said it for a long time but not really a banging the drum kind of thing.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Slowly, VERY SLOWLY, point men are learning not to wind up and take the big slapper. That just gets blocked, or even worse, ricocheted off to the neutral zone for an opposing break away.

On net > slapper. It really is that simple. I've said it for a long time but not really a banging the drum kind of thing.

Slap shot should basically be just for one timing the puck or if you are completely uncovered. So basically almost never.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Slap shot should basically be just for one timing the puck or if you are completely uncovered. So basically almost never.
Ahhhh..... I'm betting you too had coaches tell you to take wrist or snap shots rather than slappers!:nod:

But when all ya have in your toolkit is a hammer....... well, you know...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
“Shots from the point are going the way of the dodo”. True but aren’t most teams using an umbrella configuration so they can set up the 1 timer from the top of the circle? (Jacks favorite set up spot. ). So I guess the wording is technically wrong but the assessment is correct. Big blasters from the BLUE LINE are passé.

The key is more shots from the slot. But that means you have to make successful passes into the slot area that result in quality shots. I guess that’s Sheary’s job these days? And have your man down low go to the net/crease area for rebounds, screenings, etc. I.e.; get dirty as Sam did so well at the end of last season.

Thanks for sharing this JB. Very instructive.

Speaking of which...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->