Around the NHL: 2018-2019 (Part 3) Regular Season Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Wait, are you seriously blaming the victims here? Because that what it sounds like.
I'm blaming his lack of ice-awarness yes and he will continue to get injured by other players if he doesn't learn how to not put himself in dangerous situations like that.

I mean, it's like the story of Eric Lindros and his concussions basically. Don't like the headhunters but he also had a responsibility in keeping himself safe out there on the ice in a physical sport like hockey.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Protect themselves? Petterson was basically assaulted for being good at hockey. Bullcrap like this has absolutely NO place in the modern game whatsoever.

Yes and no. First he embarassed Matheson for sure, then he tried to run infront of the net just infront of the goalie which is a big no-no if you don't have the puck, in which Matheson pushes Pettersson away from the situation marking that's not okay. Later Pettersson passes the puck and Matheson does his body check, probably a bit harder on him because of obvious reasons and getting agitated. Pettersson being built like a shrimp flew into the boards head first because he lacks ice-awarness and don't know how to protect himself, especially in a situation where you must know you just embarrassed a guy in front of thousands of viewers, it's naive to not think he's going to retaliate.

And it's not a knock on smaller players, there have been all different sizes of players that has been succesful but you gotta know how to protect yourself. Especially if you're a smaller guy you gotta know how to behave on ice or like the man in my avatar, be ready to back it up and sometimes get your hands dirty. That's hockey. It's not figure skating with sticks.

Reactions: Fearnot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm blaming his lack of ice-awarness yes and he will continue to get injured by other players if he doesn't learn how to not put himself in dangerous situations like that.

I mean, it's like the story of Eric Lindros and his concussions basically. Don't like the headhunters but he also had a responsibility in keeping himself safe out there on the ice in a physical sport like hockey.

Did you see a different video than I did, because I see a guy being checked into the boards from the side(nothing wrong with the hit), and then thrown to the ice unnecessarily (that's the problem I have and it has nothing to do with him putting himself there. If you're telling me it was done because he did things around the ice that are legal but you shouldn't do, then I'm sorry to tell you this, but things like this have been going on for decades, with or without the rules, and it has nothing to do with players putting themselves in positions or the rules holding players "accountable".

The only way you're going to keep your safe out there 100% is by not playing the game.

Reactions: brian_griffin

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Right, Pettersson doesn't know how to get hit... GTFO

It's always going to be impossible for the smaller third of the league to keep the larger third of the league from cheating if that's what they really want.

Would you people be happier going back to stick swinging?

Reactions: sabremike

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Way too broad a definition of "protecting yourself ". A smaller guy can't help from being checked...and then slammed down top-heavy. Nobody can keep their head on a swivel for a whole game and still be effective on the puck. Everyone can be cheap-shotted in any game, it's up to players to have respect for each other...that simple.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Yes and no. First he embarassed Matheson for sure, then he tried to run infront of the net just infront of the goalie which is a big no-no if you don't have the puck, in which Matheson pushes Pettersson away from the situation marking that's not okay. Later Pettersson passes the puck and Matheson does his body check, probably a bit harder on him because of obvious reasons and getting agitated. Pettersson being built like a shrimp flew into the boards head first because he lacks ice-awarness and don't know how to protect himself, especially in a situation where you must know you just embarrassed a guy in front of thousands of viewers, it's naive to not think he's going to retaliate.

And it's not a knock on smaller players, there have been all different sizes of players that has been succesful but you gotta know how to protect yourself. Especially if you're a smaller guy you gotta know how to behave on ice or like the man in my avatar, be ready to back it up and sometimes get your hands dirty. That's hockey. It's not figure skating with sticks.
We're going to disagree on this.

I'm intentionally not ignoring the first part of your post. Space in front of the goalie is available to any player on either team who attempts to attain and/or hold it. Regardless, none of the play's prior actions should have bearing on the evolution of the play and legitimacy of any transgressions. Embarrassing Matheson? The logical inference is if a player, e.g., scores a hat trick, thereafter the opponents have license for head shots? I truly respect your posting more than that.

The initial hit into the boards was 10,000% legal and acceptable. But Matheson raising his left elbow to his ear and forcibly using his left arm to intentionally leverage Petterson to the ice while in a defenseless position, in particular after he had long-since released the puck, is the issue (and IMO, what caused the penalty, injury, and suspension. If the puck was in their skates still, or pinned to the boards, I'd have no issue. The play was Pronger-esque.

As far as protecting yourself, I suppose if Pettersson was a right-handed shot, he could have butt-ended Matheson in the jaw, nose, or eye during the initial legal check, but why should he have to?

It's naive to think he's not going to retaliate? I've seen far more embarrassing plays result in no retaliation. I have no issue with within-the-rules retaliation, whether it be on the scoresheet with counting stats by a skill player, or via legal checks, uncalled cross-checks kept to the torso, etc., or squaring off. By the "retaliation for embarrassment" logic, the Sabres the past few years should have started the 3rd period carrying pitchforks and maces instead of sticks, given how rampantly, routinely, and repeatedly they've been outplayed the past 4-5 years.

And yes, I love physical hockey, and don't believe hockey is figure skating with sticks.

Reactions: HaNotsri

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Ran into a guy who offered to have the Sabres win the cup in exchange for my soul. Hmmmmmmm...
20181016_201816.jpg

Reactions: Paxon

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They just played "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit here in Newark and the entire crowd continued to sing it when it stopped and play resumed for a full minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad