Around the NHL: 2018-2019 (Part 2) Off-Season Thread, Arbitration Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
There is one big problem with going back to the 70s size: goalies are a lot bigger than they were in the 70s.

Plus, you won't see the NHLPA being OK with rolling back size of gear to the point where it lead to as many injuries as you saw in the 70s.

And it won't change the fact that goalies are better trained both physically and technically than ever before.

Chasing smaller and smaller goalie gear is a red herring.

The bigger issue is all the obstruction that the NHL won't consistently enforce.

Edwards and Sauve are listed at 5'9' 165lbs and 5'8" 165lbs respectively. I cant even fathom goalies that small as starters in today's NHL. Let alone one team having two goalies that size making up one of the best combos in the NHL.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So you claimmmmmmmm.

But you refuse to acknowledge that some of that technique is developed because of the pad size.

Goalies get clowned now when a high skill player gets time and space to make them move. You see guys today, who can go bar down regularly at speed. I agree technical skill and natural size means we are never going back to the 70s or 80s without bigger nets. But an extra 2 inches would also help shooters.

As soon as even 1 guy who plays for a living intentionally switches gear size for the benefit of playing with smaller pads than everyone else in the league, I’m calling BS!!!

The technique wasn't developed because of the size of the gear.

The gear tech and design was pushed to enable playing a blocking style because that style works regardless of pad size.

That's why you won't even see Brodeur's son play the way his dad did.

We heard that two inches would help shooters, then they narrowed the pads from 12" to 11" and GAA went down.

They put limits on thigh rises to open up the 5 hole and GAA went down.

They made the size of the blockers and trappers smaller and GAA went down.

Now they are slimming the pants and C/As and things won't change measurably.

The gear is a red herring. But, keep chasing it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Edwards and Sauve are listed at 5'9' 165lbs and 5'8" 165lbs respectively. I cant even fathom goalies that small as starters in today's NHL. Let alone one team having two goalies that size making up one of the best combos in the NHL.

This still cracks me up.

The extra 14 inches that Bishop had on Pang just goes to show how the position has changed over the years.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
You should have seen my “body armor” back in the 70s. Basically a baseball catchers chest pad and thick felt arm pads. If you bought the best arm pads, you got extra padding on the elbows. With how these guys shoot today, a goalie wearing that padding would be one mass of bruises.
My leg pads were leather stuffed with kapok and deer hair (it was hollow and “light”). When wet, they weighed a ton. And adding inside leg guards were additional parts you had to buy; none of that was integrated into the pad till years later. Add fiberglass/resin face hugging masks that didn’t have throat protection, and skates that used heavy fiber material for protection. Yeah, the quality of today’s gear makes that stuff “antique”.

Even back then, you were simply crazy for being out there in that get up........ My buddy Greg Kolbas who played for the Regals let me try his gear on once back in the early 70's. It weighed a ton and you hardly felt protected.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Even back then, you were simply crazy for being out there in that get up........ My buddy Greg Kolbas who played for the Regals let me try his gear on once back in the early 70's. It weighed a ton and you hardly felt protected.

When I started playing in goal in the early 80s, I had the two piece arm pads and chest pad.

Yeah, I'm not going back to that stuff if I ever get back in goal.

Personally, I wish I had the money to get back in goal now and play twice a week, once in goal and once skating out.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
You can say this, but it’s pure opinion.

The evidence is that paid journalists are spouting off at conferences that Rsq=0.03 fits are ‘measurable’. That’s some embarrassing stuff right there. Don’t get me wrong - I’ve done much professional work with Rsq~.2, and I can believe those are real through noise, but their presentation had not one mention of explaining outliers, which is exactly what you need to be doing when your regressions are such poor fits. That’s just bad stats.
The statistical community has indisputably added value to the game that wasn’t being addressed otherwise.

And hand-waiving away the past few years of work as nerds making shit up to angle for jobs is flatly wrong, when these models already exist in other sports, and still involve tons of drudge work like tracking passing.

One presentation at a sports analytics conference doesn’t change either of those things.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Agree. Goalies using the butterfly, and wider angle in their stance with their pads, low gloves, reverse VH, skate inside the post, and butterfly slides has taken the bottom of the net away.

I've always thought that better zone entries and better offensive zone possession will lead to more scoring and creativity. That's why I think the NHL and IIHF should both go 200 x 85. The width allows for easier zone entries and more space to maintain possession.

Even if you were 100% irrefutably right, it'd never happen. Arenas would lose seating. And that means money to owners. Plus, many arenas are built for the current size and wider would make some look like Barclay's

But you know all of this.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The technique wasn't developed because of the size of the gear.

The gear tech and design was pushed to enable playing a blocking style because that style works regardless of pad size.

That's why you won't even see Brodeur's son play the way his dad did.

We heard that two inches would help shooters, then they narrowed the pads from 12" to 11" and GAA went down.

They put limits on thigh rises to open up the 5 hole and GAA went down.

They made the size of the blockers and trappers smaller and GAA went down.

Now they are slimming the pants and C/As and things won't change measurably.

The gear is a red herring. But, keep chasing it.

I’ll keep chasing it as one option.

Like I said, I’ll take it super seriously when someone does it voluntarily. It’s kinda shocking nhl goalies are such cowards or stupid to avoid a competitive advantage for so long.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Even if you were 100% irrefutably right, it'd never happen. Arenas would lose seating. And that means money to owners. Plus, many arenas are built for the current size and wider would make some look like Barclay's

But you know all of this.

I don’t think it’d be that hard. Three feet on each side. One row of seats.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Anyone else find it insane that Ottawa never moved Karlsson yet? I just can’t believe the market is going to get any better.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Anyone else find it insane that Ottawa never moved Karlsson yet? I just can’t believe the market is going to get any better.

UnfinishedFreshEuropeanpolecat-size_restricted.gif

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
At this point I’d put Risto on the table and hope they’re blinded by the minute totals, and that Karlsson values developing the future of his country’s defense.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto

At this point they should just trade him to Colorado for their own 1st rounder back.

What a disaster...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad