Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I just read it because I was curious, where the hell did you get that from? It said he's been suffering from flaring back issues since he was drafted. What the hell does that have to do with work ethic?
There was more quotes in an article at the athletic.

Gabe Vilardi's back injury weighs on Kings as rookie camp...
“It’s really hard to explain to an 18-, 19-year-old that you have to have daily maintenance,” Blake said
“And I think a lot of us when we played and later in your career you naturally acquire that maintenance but to tell a 19-year-old you have to do a certain routine every day to be able to skate – it takes time to resonate. It’s our strength and conditioning group and it’s our rehab group working with Gabe to get that underlying fact”

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah I read that as more about pain tolerance than work ethic, personally.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not sure Blake is being hard on Vilardi there. I think he's saying that the back injury is forcing Vilardi to pick up maintenance habits other younger players wouldn't need until later in their careers, and that it's a hard thing for a young guy to make themselves do.
Given that they’ve known about it a long time I read it a little harsher. The normal comments are not about how a guy doesn’t understand the work he has to put in.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Given that they’ve known about it a long time I read it a little harsher. The normal comments are not about how a guy doesn’t understand the work he has to put in.

No, but when I'm 20 years old I don't think about stretching and doing the same things to feel good when you're 35. Most people his age don't need to worry about that maintenance, which is what Blake is saying.

Reactions: Winger98

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
To be worrying about it at 20 is really concerning then. If he keeps going for a few more years you can expect him to need surgery like most the other guys that have experienced back issues. As we are watching once you do that they are kind of out of options if the problem continues. Yeah Z really made it work for a while, but there are also stories like Daze or other guys that had significant core problems that really impacted their careers.

I don't think this is just down to stretching at this point, hopefully they can find something for him. But this is alarming, I sure as heck wouldn't want to be hearing it about one of the Wings prospects or young players.

Reactions: Winger98

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
To be worrying about it at 20 is really concerning then. If he keeps going for a few more years you can expect him to need surgery like most the other guys that have experienced back issues. As we are watching once you do that they are kind of out of options if the problem continues. Yeah Z really made it work for a while, but there are also stories like Daze or other guys that had significant core problems that really impacted their careers.

I don't think this is just down to stretching at this point, hopefully they can find something for him. But this is alarming, I sure as heck wouldn't want to be hearing it about one of the Wings prospects or young players.

Didn't Joe Thornton have similar back issues when we was younger?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Didn't Joe Thornton have similar back issues when we was younger?

I don't remember that, not having any luck googling it either.

I really only remember Lindros hurting him badly in a fight when he was younger, but perhaps I have missed that. Thornton has played a lot of games in the league though it does look like he missed some in Boston. I mean some guys get lucky, but to be having this kind of problem this young for a guy that already is borderline in terms of athleticism is concerning to me.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't remember that, not having any luck googling it either.

I really only remember Lindros hurting him badly in a fight when he was younger, but perhaps I have missed that. Thornton has played a lot of games in the league though it does look like he missed some in Boston. I mean some guys get lucky, but to be having this kind of problem this young for a guy that already is borderline in terms of athleticism is concerning to me.

I thought that was Shawn Thornton that Lindros tossed around for awhile?

Agree about it being concerning for him as a player, I just disagree that Blake is really calling the kid out. At the same time, we've seen guys get hit with chronic health issues that altered their training and just simply gutted it out for quite awhile. Z had issues before the back surgery. Yzerman had a messed up knee since, what, 1988?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought that was Shawn Thornton that Lindros tossed around for awhile?

Agree about it being concerning for him as a player, I just disagree that Blake is really calling the kid out. At the same time, we've seen guys get hit with chronic health issues that altered their training and just simply gutted it out for quite awhile. Z had issues before the back surgery. Yzerman had a messed up knee since, what, 1988?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No, but when I'm 20 years old I don't think about stretching and doing the same things to feel good when you're 35. Most people his age don't need to worry about that maintenance, which is what Blake is saying.
When it comes to high-end NHL prospects you're kind of looking for the ability to put in extra work where it's required. Where other might need to focus on their hands, shot, skating etc., Vilardi has to put in extra work to maintain his back from the sounds of it. I may be off, but I sense frustration in Blake's comments. 2nd straight offseason where he is plagued by these issues, and if they have a routine that he needs to follow and he's not doing it I don't think it reflects great on his work ethic.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I think there is a hint of frustration from Blake, but tempered with the understanding that a 20 year old is extremely unlikely to have the maturity, knowledge and sense of perspective and priorities of a 35 year old. Not sure there's much of a story here, but it does possibly explain why, along with his comparatively mediocre skating, so many teams passed on such a talent in the draft.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't think Tatar can do it on his own, he'll need a good center. His play dropped dramatically when the pieces around him went away.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Yzerman reportedly stepping aside as a GM to an advisory role. Brisebois taking over. Wow!

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The GM in Tampa that inherited an elite #1 defenseman, an elite #1 center, and high draft picks, that had mediocre success and no Stanley cups, is stepping down into an "advisory role"

Speculate away Detroit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The GM in Tampa that inherited an elite #1 defenseman, an elite #1 center, and high draft picks, that had mediocre success and no Stanley cups, is stepping down into an "advisory role"

Speculate away Detroit.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad