Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
People keep referring to the Tatar return and forget to include the fact that he has a boatload of term

Jeff Skinner could be a Sabre for less than a calendar year

But yeah it does seem underwhelming, even taking the incoming UFA status into consideration

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
People keep referring to the Tatar return and forget to include the fact that he has a boatload of term

But yeah it does seem underwhelming, even taking the incoming UFA status into consideration

Carolina must be really high on Pu. I'm guessing that's where the couple of later picks were inserted instead of one higher pick.

Also worth noting with Buffalo is that they could have up to three picks in the 1st round in the 2019 draft, or in 2020. They still have ammo to make a significant trade or just reel in more high draft talent in the next couple of years.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Troy Brouwer gets waived by Calgary with two years left on his contract. Will GM's finally stop overvaluing gritty 30-40 point players?

Spoiler alert

No.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Troy Brouwer gets waived by Calgary with two years left on his contract. Will GM's finally stop overvaluing gritty 30-40 point players?

Spoiler alert

No.

If he was still a 30-40 point guy, I think he'd still have a job. I think the problem is that he's now looking like a 20-25 point guy.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Carolina must be really high on Pu. I'm guessing that's where the couple of later picks were inserted instead of one higher pick.

Also worth noting with Buffalo is that they could have up to three picks in the 1st round in the 2019 draft, or in 2020. They still have ammo to make a significant trade or just reel in more high draft talent in the next couple of years.
It's possible that Carolina received a better offer and Skinner vetoed it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If he was still a 30-40 point guy, I think he'd still have a job. I think the problem is that he's now looking like a 20-25 point guy.
I think the problem is it can be easy for a 30-40 point guy to turn into a 20-25 point guy and those players shouldn't be valued as highly as they are.

Reactions: Winger98

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Spoiler alert

No.

He's been a pretty consistent player most of his career. Had a great playoff run with St. Louis. A 4-year deal is hardly worth getting upset over.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Wow. Those are all bad, interesting that we actually do better than most the list, but yeah this is awful.

Helm getting more than Brouwer to begin with is also laughable in my opinion.... I would welcome a Helm buyout, I prefer a trade, waivers is also a real option for me hoping somebody bites, but get him off the team already.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Helm getting more than Brouwer to begin with is also laughable in my opinion.... I would welcome a Helm buyout, I prefer a trade, waivers is also a real option for me hoping somebody bites, but get him off the team already.

Helm's cap hit is $3.85 million. Brouwer's is $4.5 million. Who do you replace Helm with?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Helm's cap hit is $3.85 million. Brouwer's is $4.5 million. Who do you replace Helm with?

I would replace Helm with a water bottle and whomever. Sorry we don't need him on this team. We didn't need him at the time we signed him. His numbers are leeched off of others and his usefulness is greatly exaggerated. Also Helm makes some of the worst backbreaking turnovers on the team. He is my least favorite Wings player hands down.

He made more in total was what I was driving at. Him even being on a list like that when he should have never cracked 2.5 is really bad. We talk about Abdelkader a lot, but Helm is the owner of my least favorite contract on the team.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
imo okposo's deal is the only one that was defensible. risky though, as i think any non-elite player signed for that long, with a contract ending in his mid-30s is a gamble but at least it wasn't big overpayment on paper and there weren't big red flags like with those other players. he had been relatively injury-free until that point and had produced well without tavares. but then he started to regress/have injury issues almost right away in buffalo.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I would replace Helm with a water bottle and whomever. Sorry we don't need him on this team. We didn't need him at the time we signed him. His numbers are leeched off of others and his usefulness is greatly exaggerated. Also Helm makes some of the worst backbreaking turnovers on the team. He is my least favorite Wings player hands down.

He made more in total was what I was driving at. Him even being on a list like that when he should have never cracked 2.5 is really bad. We talk about Abdelkader a lot, but Helm is the owner of my least favorite contract on the team.

Yeah the big factor in signing players like Helm is based on some super important intangible that the team simply cannot live without. It's complete nonsense, but that's how GM's justify handing out such abysmal contracts.

"They weren't signed to produce points." Two years later we see teams trying to give away that exact same player for anything after their production drops 5-10 points.

Reactions: ricky0034

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
well, Ryan Ellis is already off the market for next summer. Just a quick look and the only D I'd really be interested in are Karlsson, Myers, and Gardner.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
well, Ryan Ellis is already off the market for next summer. Just a quick look and the only D I'd really be interested in are Karlsson, Myers, and Gardner.

I would add Nate Schmidt to that list too

but yeah not a lot of names there and probably pretty unlikely that more than maybe one of them even makes it to UFA at all if that

Reactions: Winger98

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
With regard to Helm, always liked the guy, but he's done. I'm with TZE, he can be replaced by anyone. Ideally it would have been Turgeon, but that's a whole separate matter now, unfortunately. :(

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Some harsh words by Blake, basically implying it’s a matter of work ethic for Vilardi.
I just read it because I was curious, where the hell did you get that from? It said he's been suffering from flaring back issues since he was drafted. What the hell does that have to do with work ethic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad