Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
maybe we can pool some money and ship Werenski a gift to give him some feels and bring him back to Detroit.

51bM4QnbxKL._SX425_.jpg

I think we should totally ship him something like this. Hey in your RFA year we wanted to remind you of what you truly loved in your childhood. Oh and your best friend is already on the team and the future captain. Don't go long-term Zach, be like Bob and Panarin.

Hey Jacob in Winnipeg listen to what we are telling Zach here...

It is just the fans doing it... Though if we could get some information from Franzen on how to do this we could certainly use his veteran blanket collection skills.

Reactions: Bench and Winger98

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Keep dreaming. He is going to extend with whatever team he gets traded to.

Our best bet is hoping that Werenski had Wings bed sheets growing up. :laugh:

I also said I thought he would extend. Though if he really wanted to twist the knife on Ottawa he could just say extensions are off the table. If Karlsson does go full Tavares we better make a run at him.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Looking at Ducks cap situation right now..... looks interesting. Maybe one of Fowler/ Manson/ Montour becomes available at some point next offseason or summer 2020.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We need to draft high end defenseman next year and treat them the same as with Cholo , don't rushed them . It is hard to understand why Pronger was traded without give him some time .

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Tom Wilson's contract...that might be the worst thing I've ever seen.

Wilson picked a great time to need a new contract. In the four seasons previous he broke twenty points once and had 5 points in 38 playoff games. He just got over $5m a year. Be fun seeing what Burakovsky and Vrana ask for next summer.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd have gone the arbitration route and tried again next summer if I was Washington

would have probably worked out substantially better when it was all said and done

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You're locking in his entire prime. Around 30 is when you start to worry about a guy like Wilson. He has evolved as a player, he plays in all three disciplines and is incredibly physical. I think it is a touch high, but that isn't surprising coming off his playoff run. I don't think it is terrible though, there have been worse signings this summer in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wilson picked a great time to need a new contract. In the four seasons previous he broke twenty points once and had 5 points in 38 playoff games. He just got over $5m a year. Be fun seeing what Burakovsky and Vrana ask for next summer.

Kinda feels like Bryan Bickell all over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I can't help but think Holland and Abdelkader helped pave the way for a deal like Wilson's to happen.

Also Bickell, Clarkson, etc.

I feel like guys like Lucic, D Brown, etc. have bad deals too but they had shown more to get those deals. And were older when they signed them. UFA vs RFA etc.

I can't really explain this one unless the Caps brass see him as a ~20-25 G + ~20-25 A guy moving forward.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I can't help but think Holland and Abdelkader helped pave the way for a deal like Wilson's to happen.

$4 million for a 40 point-ish physical forward is not really an overpayment nowadays. The problem with Abdelkader's contract is and was always the term. Fact is Wilson was a beast in the playoffs. You want him on the roster than not and most of the team is coming back again next season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I feel like guys like Lucic, D Brown, etc. have bad deals too but they had shown more to get those deals. And were older when they signed them. UFA vs RFA etc.

I can't really explain this one unless the Caps brass see him as a ~20-25 G + ~20-25 A guy moving forward.

I think it's just a GM jumping the gun a bit. I don't have a problem with RFAs getting a deal like this, but Wilson has had one year where he put up the sort of numbers to go with that physical game to make you think he might be worth it. I still remember LaPointe putting up 20+ goals and 50+ points in his contract year, signing for $5m per with Boston and then never coming close to those numbers again.

Washington is clearly betting on Wilson not regressing, which is their right, but I'm not sure it's a bet I'd have taken. The guy's track record isn't on that screams 40 point player from here on out.

$4 million for a 40 point-ish physical forward is not really an overpayment nowadays. The problem with Abdelkader's contract is and was always the term. Fact is Wilson was a beast in the playoffs. You want him on the roster than not and most of the team is coming back again next season.

We've seen players go on big playoff runs only to not follow it up with consistent production before, though. People want to compare it to Gator, but even Gator had a better track record of production and play at the time he signed his current deal than Wilson has now.

If Wilson goes out and actually puts up 40 points every year and keeps playing his physical game, yeah, it can be worth it. But he's never actually put up 40 points, and his NHL career prior to this last season isn't something that really screams that ability. Maybe if they staple him to the top6 and start spoonfeeding him PP time, his production will come up.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
We've seen players go on big playoff runs only to not follow it up with consistent production before, though. People want to compare it to Gator, but even Gator had a better track record of production and play at the time he signed his current deal than Wilson has now.

yeah the guys played 400+ games in the NHL and he could literally put up 20 points next year and it would be in line with what he did in all his other seasons before this one

I don't think it'll happen,but that's a scary thought for a guy that just signed a $30 million contract

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think we know a little bit more about why Bickell failed these days though. It seemed high when he signed it, but given his health I think it is unfair to really crush that deal.

I don’t think he was going to match that level of play again regardless, but yeah.

Feel similarly about Wilson, timing was on his side and he cashed in and got overpaid. The analytics crowd is already crushing it.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Yeah they bit the bullet to have the team back together

Agree Abdelkader's caphit is manageable (and in line with comparables) but the term was always the worst part.

The only thing about the Wilson deal is that he isn't a $4M player now, he is a $5.17M player. And he is probably closer to a 30 point-ish guy based on his history. If he plays exclusively with Kuznetsov and Ovechkin that may change, though.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
That Wilson contract is abysmal. But at least the entire contract takes place during his 20's. I'm sure the Caps will regret giving him that contract by the end of next season.

Still though, the Gator contract is the crown jewel of awful when it comes to signing one dimensional grinders to a 5+ year contract.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wonder if NYR's signing their guys to such movable deals will push Holland to maybe look for a deal sooner rather than waiting until the TDL when we could see teams lining up to dump players. NYR's on record of running headlong into a rebuild. It looks like Ottawa will be sellers. There are a handful of teams that are anyone's guess.

I have to wonder if the whole tank for a pick will pick up some steam this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->