NHL Around the NHL 2018-19 VI - Trades & transactions edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I had nothing to do at work last night... so I went back and looked at the Edmonton oilers under the management of Chiarelli. does anyone remember the 23 man roster he inherited?

Eberle/Hopkins/hall {a decent first line that was being destroyed most nights}
yakopov/draisailt/pouliot {the only other nhl quality forwards on the team}
Purcell/roy/klinkhammer {basically theyd all be out of the nhl next season}
pitlick/Gordon/Hendricks {pitlicks development was going nowhere at this time}
lander/gadzic {holy crap depth batman}

Schultz/klefbom {were in way over their head}
nikitin/nurse {nikitin was a black hole}
fayne/ference {not sure either guy played another game for in the nhl}
Davidson

with a lineup like this you need goaltending and Edmonton had
ben schievens
and victor farsh

was there a huge prospect pool... nope... not a single nhl quality guy to be found.
was their an overload of picks coming in future drafts? not really

what would you do with this mess? Chiarelli made 12 mistakes in my opinion... with these 12 different choices the oilers would be cup favorites this year

I try to put the mistakes in chronological order but I might have made a mistake because I didn't have access to internet as I went through them

1/don't trade 3 picks for reinhart… obviously... I suggest that with the yakupov experiment going down in flames and Eberle showing weakness the team would have needed a rw in the draft. they pass on brazil because they have McDavid and Hopkins and draisaitl… so I say lets give them brock boeser. things are already looking much better.

2/ don't trade for cam Talbot. the trade itself was ok, but he was never going to be the cup winning goalie they needed. if they go with bad goalending the first year/two their draft picks would have been better.

3/ they now have 2 second round picks from reinhart/and Talbot... and obviously need a dman. with 2 kicks at the can im going to say they could have drafted rasmus Anderson. obviously im not sure their scouts liked Anderson but if getting a dman was a priority then lets go ahead and say this was possible.

4/ since they needed dmen lets cancel the Justin Schultz trade and just rehibitate him with the new coach

5/ with Schultz and Anderson now in the system lets not trade hall for a dman

6/ once you keep hall, you cant afford to sign lucic but you still want more aggression/grit in the lineup so instead of drafting puuljujarvi go for team need and draft matthew tkchuk

7/ when pitlik becomes a pending ufa… sign him and promise him a legitimate chance to play

8/ don't allow matt Hendricks to leave... even as a pressbox guy hes the type of leader young teams need

9/ when ben bishop becomes an ufa and wants to go somewhere he can win a cup... move heaven and earth to get him signed. by this time the young oiler team has McDavid/drasaitl in full gear and would be a desirable place for an ufa to sign.

10/ with bishop handling most the goaltending you can keep the kid lauren boissoit as an adequet backup

11/ go ahead and trade Eberle for strome once boeser and draisaitl take over as rws… but then don't deal him off. let him play your 3rd line center on this much improved team

12/ no need to trade caggilua for garbage... keep him

with these changes check out the team that could have been

drasailt/McDavid/tkchuk {sorry to Bergeron and company but this would be best line in nhl}
boesner/Hopkins/hall {this would be best second line in nhl}
pitlik/strome/caggilua {I might not be high on these guys... but they are better than what is now}
kassian/Letestu/kharia {I forget to mention might as well keep Letestu under my plan}
reider/Hendricks {2 versatile press box guys}

Anderson/klefbom {Anderson is young for first pair duties... a weakness on this team}
Schultz/nurse {hope Schultz wouldn't be injured}
petrovic/sekera {also hope sekera wouldn't be hurt}
benning

bishop
boissoit

this lineup would be my favorite to win the cup this year... I don't think I suggested anything too crazy. these moves were available to be made but that mess in the oiler front office went in another direction.

I will cut Chiarelli some slack... he doesn't make his decesions in a vacuum... but a lot of these smaller deals were his call to make. all in all, he should have stayed pat more often than not. he didn't really have any homerun trades that worked in his favor. most the decesions he made had neutral effect and some were clearly negative.

he did well in the draft... in just a couple years the team added
McDavid
yammomota
puuljujarvi
benson
bouchard
jones
bear

that's quite a nice nucleus of young talent considering the team had almost nothing when he started.

anyhow mostly I shared this post because we might forget just how much the oilers sucked when he was hired. that lineup was about as bad as it can be. theres only 8 guys any of us would want on our team just 3 years later. there was 15 guys with almost no value and no business being in the nhl on that team.

it was doomed to fail from the start really... my fantasy gming not withstanding. the assets were devalued because of the weak hand he was playing.

I also went through the bruin draft history of Chiarelli last night. maybe one day I will show you how great it was. there was some simply amazing moves made as he built that team the first couple years.

the difference was he had a deep prospect pool to play with. the lesson learnt... don't take an nhl job where you are screwed at having any chance at success

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Big game tonight between the Habs and Columbus, as no one wants to finish 8th and play the bolts in the first round. Ill actually be cheering for the Habs tonight, as I'd much rather see the Blue-Jackets or Penguins square off against the Bolts in the first round.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Getting Strome and pairing him with DeBrincat again is really paying off for Chicago in the O zone.

In the D zone........not so much.

Debrincat is a +3, Strome is a +5, on a team that is collectively a -23. So are they really hurting them that much in the defensive zone?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Must be a slow day for news - this made NBC Nightly News

upload_2019-2-19_20-2-57.png

Sports reporter comes close to getting knocked in the head by hockey puck

Last edited:
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates
Status
Not open for further replies.