Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jack Todd: Canadiens need Jonathan Drouin to stop his disappearing act

Mind you, it should not come as a surprise the organization that traded Drouin knew what it was doing. It’s not supposed to be possible to build a complete team in the salary-cap era, but the Lightning have done so. From that pack of greyhounds up front to one of the league’s best groups on the blue line to goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy, the Bolts have it all.

Come playoff time, the Lightning will be a litmus test for the NHL. Is the bold new speed league for real, or is it going to revert to business as usual, meaning clutch-and-grab hockey while referees swallow their whistles? At this point in the season, there are usually a pack of teams in the hunt for the top spot in the league. Not this year. Tampa Bay is head and shoulders above the rest, so if their gaudy talent is handcuffed, then the league has not really changed.

To find another team as complete as Tampa Bay, you would have to go back at least as far as the Steve Yzerman Red Wings teams of the 1990s — and it’s no coincidence it was Yzerman who assembled this bunch. Julien BriseBois may be the current general manager, but this is Yzerman’s show from A to Z.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Silfverberg looking great against the Caps with 2 goals. Ducks winning 5-2. Perry ripped a goal on the PP as well. Ducks looking all-world tonight.

Reactions: mg08

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Coach's Challenge: MTL @ FLA - 3:44 of the Third Period :huh:

At 3:44 of the third period in the Canadiens/Panthers game, Montreal requested a Coach's Challenge to review whether Florida was off-side prior to Jonathan Huberdeau's goal.

After reviewing all available replays and consulting with the Linesman, the Situation Room determined that Florida was off-side prior to the goal. According to Rule 78.7, "The standard for overturning the call in the event of a 'GOAL' call on the ice is that the Toronto Video Room, after reviewing any and all available replays and consulting with the Linesman, determines that one or more Players on the attacking team preceded the puck into the attacking zone prior to the goal being scored and that, as a result, the play should have been stopped for an "Off-side" infraction; where this standard is met, the goal will be disallowed."
Therefore, the original call is overturned - no goal Florida Panthers.

The clock is re-set to show 16:22 (3:38 elapsed time), when the off-side infraction occurred.
NHL absolutely slaughtering itself with that rule change. A missed offside four minutes earlier is just... irrelevant.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I still don't understand. What's wrong here?

What is wrong here is that it was intended to call back egregious off-sides that we witnessed in the past. Like in the case of the Florida goal tonight. The clock needed to be reset 3:38 seconds of elapsed time from when the off-sides occurred to when the goal was scored. It would seem to me that the defending team would either be required to signal the infraction within a predetermined amount of time (i.e. 30 seconds from infraction) or shut the f*** up. Also we shouldn't be calling back goals over off-sides that are a hair off sides, yes I know you have to draw the line somewhere but there is plenty of room for improvement here.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
That Carolina celebration is phenomenal

The bowling one was hilarious

I really hope these guys come out of the Metro

The Jerks are breathing down the Habs' necks(while we're going for a California sweep) and I love it.

da52f4ec6f5bf8832740ee4fbb769f10

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I really like what the Canes are doing, I'm glad they are having fun and it's good for the fans.

If that's what it takes to sell the tickets...better silly than bland i guess. It won't last but until then; their team is getting better so combine those 2 and you get some sort of temporary success - non hockey market of course.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I really like what the Canes are doing, I'm glad they are having fun and it's good for the fans.
The Neiderreiter trade looks like a homerun from the Canes now. He would have looked great in a B's jersey. Not sure why DS could not get him?
I know the Canes wanted a center, I would have given them JFK or TF. He has as many goals as DeBrusk now.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Right. That's what I read too.

Okay so clearly I misunderstood that. I didn't actually watch the game but I did see the goal in question in highlights. The point still remains though as I have seen goals get called back way after the off-sides occurred. The goal that was called back in this case was off-sides by a hair.I get that the line needs to be drawn somewhere but if it's the leagues intention to see more goals should we really be calling back goals that are off-sides by an inch? There is room for improvement . I don't think it should come down to the inches that it does.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Okay so clearly I misunderstood that. I didn't actually watch the game but I did see the goal in question in highlights. The point still remains though as I have seen goals get called back way after the off-sides occurred. The goal that was called back in this case was off-sides by a hair.I get that the line needs to be drawn somewhere but if it's the leagues intention to see more goals should we really be calling back goals that are off-sides by an inch? There is room for improvement . I don't think it should come down to the inches that it does.
And just how would that work?

"Upon further review the player was off-sides but it was only by 2 inches. Good goal"

There is no gray area when it comes to line infractions.

Reactions: Dom - OHL

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I`m not really that keen on watching their post game celebration stuff, not really my thing for entertainment but I`m also not at all offended by it either. Seems like the team and fans really enjoying it, definitely an "out of the box" idea that the fans are enjoying so who cares + Don Cherry became irrelevant years ago so whatever he says means zippo. Honestly not sure the last time I watched an episode of Coach`s Corner

Reactions: Tampbear

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
That's kind of where I'm at with it. I don't hate it like some people, but it's not something I want to see the Bruins do, lol.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That's kind of where I'm at with it. I don't hate it like some people, but it's not something I want to see the Bruins do, lol.

I don't want to see the Bruins doing anything like that either, but I don't mind the Canes doing it, or teams like Phoenix or Florida. Those teams need to be relevant in their areas- something the Bruins with their history and consistently good teams don't need to do.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008

The line is already drawn - it's the blue line across the ice :).

I get what you're saying, but either there is a video review and call it by the exact rules or ditch the video review and accept that the linesmen will make a mistake from time to time.

I think the real problem is that the coaches get to look at it on video before challenging. If you make it so they have to challenge without a review, then they're only going to challenge the egregious ones.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The line is already drawn - it's the blue line across the ice :).

I get what you're saying, but either there is a video review and call it by the exact rules or ditch the video review and accept that the linesmen will make a mistake from time to time.

I think the real problem is that the coaches get to look at it on video before challenging. If you make it so they have to challenge without a review, then they're only going to challenge the egregious ones.

This rule was introduced because of a disgusting over reaction to a big time missed call, can`t recall the teams involved at the time where the player on the team that scored was so far offside it was shocking they didn`t whistle it but right now, it`s one of the worst rules in the game IMO.

If the NHL got rid of it and the shootout I wouldn`t be one bit offended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad