NHL Around the NHL 2018-19 V - Pens trade Brassard+ for Bjugstad+

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I actually think FLA realizes they aren't doing anything this year, and are moving guys with term out to have cap space this summer for someone like Panarin.

I mean they moved a guy with term in Bjugstad out to take on Brassard and Sheahan, both of whom are UFA this summer. If they make a run now? Great for them, but it's all about planning for the offseason IMO.

Good deal for both teams IMO.

Yes. I think your right after I look at it again. I think my disdain for Sweeney right now is getting the best of me.:laugh: The penguins also got McCann who still has some pretty good potential/upside.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
As someone has already said, clearly this deal for Florida was about getting money off the books for next year. If you look at their cap situation, they very little money coming off the books as UFAs, so instead of carrying the 5 million committed to Bjugstad and McCann, they'll lose the 5 million when Brassard and Sheahan walk as UFAs.

Pittsburgh clearly weren't happy with their Center situation and essentially swapped out their 3rd and 4th line Cs for someone elses 3rd and 4th lines Cs in the hope these guys perform better than Brassard and Sheahan did for Pittsburgh.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
hate the pens, but I love how Rutherford gives zero ****s and just makes trades all the time. Wondering why Florida would want Brassard who is a UFA and Sheahan who sucks....Guessing they like draft picks. McCann to me is the only thing interesting in this deal.

They didn't, but they need to take cap space back to make it work for the Penguins.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Steal for Pittsburgh. Bjugstad and McCann could both take big steps forward for them and those are friendly contracts. Sheahan and Brassard addition by subtraction. Who cares about the picks.

Sweeney looks worse and worse every deal that is made. I really want someone else to be our GM when July 1st rolls around and Backes becomes movable and the free agent class hits the market.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Steal for Pittsburgh. Bjugstad and McCann could both take big steps forward for them and those are friendly contracts. Sheahan and Brassard addition by subtraction. Who cares about the picks.

Sweeney looks worse and worse every deal that is made. I really want someone else to be our GM when July 1st rolls around and Backes becomes movable and the free agent class hits the market.
There is not a single player in this trade from either side that Sweeney should be looking to acquire.

Last edited:
Reactions: GloryDaze4877

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
There is not a single player in this trade from either side that Sweeney should have looking to acquire.

These Florida players fit Pittsburgh's team better than ours. Pittsburgh just upgraded their depth and 2nd/3rd lines. Ours are stuck in neutral. They didn't give up much. I wouldn't mind Bjugstad as our 3C. Someone would trade for him next year if we think a kid is a better option.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
SevereAbandonedArgentinehornedfrog-size_restricted.gif

Don Sweeney and the NHL right now.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Bjugstad had 19-30-49last year and McCann is 22 and looking really pretty good for scraps and some picks. I would have loved to get them for JFK and a 2nd say, which is better than what they got.
Yes and this year he has 5 goals, 12 points. He has scored more than 20 once, he is also very very slow. How is McCann better than any present Bruin playing at that age, he has been in the league four years and has never scored 10 goals in any of those seasons. Would be, at best, a lateral move, thanks but pass and quickly.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
These Florida players fit Pittsburgh's team better than ours. Pittsburgh just upgraded their depth and 2nd/3rd lines. Ours are stuck in neutral. They didn't give up much. I wouldn't mind Bjugstad as our 3C. Someone would trade for him next year if we think a kid is a better option.
Sweeney will upgrade the third line Center and it will be for better than Bjugstad, lots of time til the deadline. Hoping he doesn’t make a move just for the sake of making a move. Either upgrade or leave things as they are.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yes and this year he has 5 goals, 12 points. He has scored more than 20 once, he is also very very slow. How is McCann better than any present Bruin playing at that age, he has been in the league four years and has never scored 10 goals in any of those seasons. Would be, at best, a lateral move, thanks but pass and quickly.

Fair enough.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Bjugstad had 19-30-49last year and McCann is 22 and looking really pretty good for scraps and some picks. I would have loved to get them for JFK and a 2nd say, which is better than what they got.

Heinen had 16-34-47 totals last year...

Doesn’t mean anything this year.

Bjugstad has 12 pts in 32 games, plays 14:30 a night and gets paid $4.1m for the next two years.

McCann is the most interesting piece in the deal, but he’s now on his 3rd NHL team at 22, which is never a good sign.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I had my eye on a few of those players in the PIT/CLB deal. IMO, none were good enough fits that they should have been our first option...

Bjugstad - I like the size and versatility. He produced in the past but was doing nothing this year and carried a big enough cap hit.

Brassard - Lots of experience but no production this year. And if he can't produce as PIT's 3c why would he produce as our 3c?

McCann - Young enough to think he's got more to give but not quite playing at 3c level just yet and we have enough 4c's as it is.

That said, Bjugstad and Brassard were both guys I would have taken a chance on if I got boxed out of my top choices. Good on Pitts for jumping the line and taking a few pieces off the table AND giving up nothing in the process. I would expect Brassard is still available.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Rutherford always seems to find trading partners to help out his team. Sweeney should give him a call to see what his secret is. He continues to watch this season slip away without filling our 2 glaring holes at forward.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Tortorella still feisty, doesn't pull any punches

I think it’s absolutely hilarious that Torts says stuff like this ALL THE TIME, and people are like, Torts being Torts.

Cassidy makes a kind of vague statement about how he was unhappy with the decision making of the D leaders and people say he threw Chara under the bus.

I wish Torts had coached the B’s last night. He would have set that D group on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->