Around the NHL: 2018-19 - Trade Deadline 2/25 2:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I really don't think Toronto has as much cap trouble as being portrayed here. They have a very deep prospect pool of guys on entre level deals that can fill in the gaps.

The question I think is are they willing to give Nylander $7-8 or would they rather move that salary to their back end where they are weakest.
That's why most consider them to be in cap trouble. If they sign all 3 of the young guns who is going to play on the back end? Something has to give.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I really don't think Toronto has as much cap trouble as being portrayed here. They have a very deep prospect pool of guys on entre level deals that can fill in the gaps.

The question I think is are they willing to give Nylander $7-8 or would they rather move that salary to their back end where they are weakest.

Matthews is gonna want(and get) 12 or 13 million. They are in deep doo doo.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't know about Toronto. A decade ago, the Pens handcuffed themselves cap-wise with Crosby and Malkin. They're ridiculously good offensively and by trading Nylander for defensive help they really shore up their defense. Kapanen is showing that he can run with the big boys and that's making Nylander the expendable one of the Big 4.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I don't know about Toronto. A decade ago, the Pens handcuffed themselves cap-wise with Crosby and Malkin. They're ridiculously good offensively and by trading Nylander for defensive help they really shore up their defense. Kapanen is showing that he can run with the big boys and that's making Nylander the expendable one of the Big 4.

That just means that Kapanen will expect a big deal next year. They are gonna have to pay Matthews, Marner, and Kapanen plus decide if they will keep Gardiner

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The only iffy part is of a ton of GTA NHLers start taking hometown discounts to go play for Toronto now that they are good.

The problem with that theory is Tavares didnt take a discount and that's part of why they are screwed.

Pittsburgh didnt do squat the first few years of the Crosby/Malkin deals because the two of them took up almost 30% of the cap(and that's even with Crosby taking less than market). They had to wait for the cap to go up to add complimentary players like Kessel and get back to SC contender status

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
The problem with that theory is Tavares didnt take a discount and that's part of why they are screwed.

Pittsburgh didnt do squat the first few years of the Crosby/Malkin deals because the two of them took up almost 30% of the cap(and that's even with Crosby taking less than market). They had to wait for the cap to go up to add complimentary players like Kessel and get back to SC contender status

Tavares absolutely did. He was offered 13M to play for both SJ and the Islanders.

Silly thing to argue about. We can drop it now.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just saw a stat from the weekend... Dallas put up 30 shots in the second period against Anaheim Saturday night

And how about the Canes?? Put up a combined 100 shots in back to back road games at Wild/Jets.

57 vs Wild and 43 vs Jets.

But only came away with a split.....

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
He hasn't been playing center with Toronto though which is a bit concerning.
I think that might be one of the reasons he hasn't signed. I think this year was the year he would get some center time with bozak leaving, then they went and got Tavares putting him only a winger. I think he has the playmaking ability to be a good center. I would love to see him on the preds but highly doubtful we'll give up the d they want and need. I'd give them Ellis but I doubt poile does that after just signing him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->