Around the NHL 2018-19, Part 6: Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
ROR won't win Selke, but if he did, he and Lehner should take a picture together with their hardware and send it to Botts, with a note congratulating him for "fixing the room."

ROR is a finalist for the Lady Byng, too.

So, that can still happen even if he doesn't win the Selke.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
The rumor is that he is taking a Senior VP job.
He is one of the lucky ones that aren't fired outright.

Yzerman in Detroit is going to put a lot of pressure on Botts (and the rest of the division). It may take a few years, but if he does even half of what he did in TB, our division is about to get even more insane - if that's possible. Add in the possiblty that Coach Q turns floriday around, we may be the odd team out.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
He is one of the lucky ones that aren't fired outright.

Yzerman in Detroit is going to put a lot of pressure on Botts (and the rest of the division). It may take a few years, but if he does even half of what he did in TB, our division is about to get even more insane - if that's possible. Add in the possiblty that Coach Q turns floriday around, we may be the odd team out.

Botts has to be worried about next year as he's probably at the end of his tenure if we're a bottom 5 team next year.

Detroit is several years away still.

Ottawa is several years away.

Florida with cap space + coach Q is the more immediate threat.

TB, Toronto, and Boston will continue to be good.

Montreal will probably live and die with Price each year.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Botts has to be worried about next year as he's probably at the end of his tenure if we're a bottom 5 team next year.

Detroit is several years away still.

Ottawa is several years away.

Florida with cap space + coach Q is the more immediate threat.

TB, Toronto, and Boston will continue to be good.

Montreal will probably live and die with Price each year.

Once Bergeron and Chara leave Boston, they will be a mediocre team. Chara has probably one year left, Berg turns 34 in July.

Toronto, Tampa and Florida will be the top 3 teams going forward.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
ROR won't win Selke, but if he did, he and Lehner should take a picture together with their hardware and send it to Botts, with a note congratulating him for "fixing the room."

I think ROR has a shot... Bergeron is a regular, but while this may be his best season ever, it's not his best selke season (for the last few years his deployment has changed significantly) and ROR has the edge in defensive CF/GF/xGF

Of the 3 Stone has the best case in across the board measurables, and is the presumptive favorite IMO.

What I wonder is if the perception of ROR for Hart, trickles over to Selke... as in, "I can't vote for ROR for Hart... so I'll give him my Selke vote"

Everyone in St Louis believes he should be in the Hart conversation.

Reactions: brian_griffin

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Problem being, Buffalo didn't have assets handed to them on a silver platter to parlay into trade collateral, instantly making them competitive in a player-friendly market. Fans here constantly and stubbornly ignore the fact that no matter how nice locals know the area is, players and coaches who don't know are not wanting to go there. Stastny and Stone never consider signing/extending in Buffalo, and no GM can change the perception that Buffalo is a boring nowhere-land. We can rely on Ontario natives being close to Buffalo and Pegula handing big contracts out, which has happened a few times.

In before, "But if the team were good everyone would come" response. That works if you actually believe players and coaches care about only hockey. What big name UFAs signed in Buffalo ten years ago? Ehrhoff is the only guy in his prime.

So if you're looking for best cynical post of the day, I'll see your "The GM is no good" and raise you "The area is not attractive and no GM can change that".
Until around roughly 2010-11 we were literally like the 4th best team in hockey of all time based on winning/points percentage and the city wasn't magically located in a better climate/location back then. What happened around that time that caused our organization to go straight into the toilet where we have resided ever since? And do you think places like Detroit or Pittsburgh are the top places in America to live? Yet people will gladly go there and the reason is simple: they routinely have good teams.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Lehner already thanked Botts publicly for helping him overcome addiction and supporting him in the process. Don't use a man's battle against mental illness as an opportunity to grind an ax.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Interesting press conference.

You could tell Yzerman didn’t want to say anything bad about where Detroit is at currently and the job Ken Holland has done. It seemed like a weird dynamic at times. It’ll be interesting to see how long this new role lasts for Holland and how he and Yzerman ultimately work together. I know they are great friends but It has to be tough giving up power after 22 years and watching someone new brought in to “fix” the job you were doing.

I actually felt bad for Holland at some points of that presser. Around 20-21 minute mark when the owner was talking about how selfless Holland was for stepping down from the GM role, it’s hard to tell for sure but it looked like he may have been getting choked up.
He was also basically ignored for the entire presser once it was opened up to questions.

End of an era in Detroit...

But obviously an Exciting day for Red Wings fans

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

You could tell Yzerman didn’t want to say anything bad about where Detroit is at currently and the job Ken Holland has done. It seemed like a weird dynamic at times. It’ll be interesting to see how long this new role lasts for Holland and how he and Yzerman ultimately work together. I know they are great friends but It has to be tough giving up power after 22 years and watching someone new brought in to “fix” the job you were doing.

I actually felt bad for Holland at some points of that presser. Around 20-21 minute mark when the owner was talking about how selfless Holland was for stepping down from the GM role, it’s hard to tell for sure but it looked like he may have been getting choked up.
He was also basically ignored for the entire presser once it was opened up to questions.

I don’t feel bad for Holland. Detroit should’ve straight up fired him 3 years ago

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Did Yzerman praise Larkin? As in actually pray to him?

If not, the Wings are doomed.....

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Delete your account. Seriously.
Mike …..you might be saying that again...I am doing the unthinkable...rooting for the Leafs to win the cup along with Colorado in the west. The Leafs are a fun team to watch when I am not so busy hating them.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Mike …..you might be saying that again...I am doing the unthinkable...rooting for the Leafs to win the cup along with Colorado in the west. The Leafs are a fun team to watch when I am not so busy hating them.
IMG_20190417_230252.jpg

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Of course the borderline video review goes Toronto’s way.
Really wasn't all that borderline. The impetus that drove Hyman into the goalie, was caused by the cross-check Buster delivered. Therefore according to Newton's Third Law it's McAvoy's fault, good goal.

I'm only being semi-facetious, they actually claimed it was a Boston player that put Buster into Rask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad