Around the NHL 2018-19, Part 6: Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
If I were a VGK fan, I'd be pretty salty about that "OOH Lawdy" reaction drawing a super delayed penalty with 5 minutes left in the game. I'm kinda surprised nobody mocked LC. One SportsNet announcer mentioned he was surprised to see Couture back on the ice so quick while the other chuckled.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yeah, I want the Blues and RoR to do well to continue to rub it in the face of every culture-pap spewing hayseed comment about that roster vivisection... but the draft pick is about the only item of value that anyone can still hang anything on and them advancing doesn't help the Sabres draft position. Sorry Blues... go unlikeable Jets.
Losing the pick is the only way to stop Botterill from putting any more stupid conditions in trades. It's for the greater good, Chain!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If I were a VGK fan, I'd be pretty salty about that "OOH Lawdy" reaction drawing a super delayed penalty with 5 minutes left in the game. I'm kinda surprised nobody mocked LC. One SportsNet announcer mentioned he was surprised to see Couture back on the ice so quick while the other chuckled.

On the sharks’ broadcast, they zeroed in on his teeth laying on the ice. There were at least two.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Losing the pick is the only way to stop Botterill from putting any more stupid conditions in trades. It's for the greater good, Chain!

I didn't know you were part of the negotiations & that it was Botterill who insisted on including that condition for shits & giggles...

I swear some people would have preferred missing out on Montour completely. The same people who would then hammer Botts for not making moves...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yzerman officially going to Detroit. Not surprising, but it still sucks to see another division team getting better. But, hey, we have Botts!

Had the same thought- someone else is about to get better while the Sabres sit....

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Yzerman officially going to Detroit. Not surprising, but it still sucks to see another division team getting better. But, hey, we have Botts!

perhaps announcing the return of Yzerman and resurrection of the Dead Things on Easter Sunday would have been more appropriate. Although the brevity of their recent downturn was more like the sleep of Lazarus.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Best cynical post of the day.

And unfortunately, likely to be completely true and accurate.....

Problem being, Buffalo didn't have assets handed to them on a silver platter to parlay into trade collateral, instantly making them competitive in a player-friendly market. Fans here constantly and stubbornly ignore the fact that no matter how nice locals know the area is, players and coaches who don't know are not wanting to go there. Stastny and Stone never consider signing/extending in Buffalo, and no GM can change the perception that Buffalo is a boring nowhere-land. We can rely on Ontario natives being close to Buffalo and Pegula handing big contracts out, which has happened a few times.

In before, "But if the team were good everyone would come" response. That works if you actually believe players and coaches care about only hockey. What big name UFAs signed in Buffalo ten years ago? Ehrhoff is the only guy in his prime.

So if you're looking for best cynical post of the day, I'll see your "The GM is no good" and raise you "The area is not attractive and no GM can change that".

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Two of the teams in our tier of the division hired one of the best coaches in the game (Quenneville) and one of the best GMs (Yzerman). It's deflating, but we should be used to it at this point.

Agreed, we are in the division of death:

Tampa
Boston
Toronto
Montreal
Florida
Detroit
Sabres

Ottawa

Reminds me of when the Blue Jays were locked behind the Yankees and Red Sox.

Reactions: brian_griffin

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Problem being, Buffalo didn't have assets handed to them on a silver platter to parlay into trade collateral, instantly making them competitive in a player-friendly market. Fans here constantly and stubbornly ignore the fact that no matter how nice locals know the area is, players and coaches who don't know are not wanting to go there. Stastny and Stone never consider signing/extending in Buffalo, and no GM can change the perception that Buffalo is a boring nowhere-land. We can rely on Ontario natives being close to Buffalo and Pegula handing big contracts out, which has happened a few times.

In before, "But if the team were good everyone would come" response. That works if you actually believe players and coaches care about only hockey. What big name UFAs signed in Buffalo ten years ago? Ehrhoff is the only guy in his prime.

So if you're looking for best cynical post of the day, I'll see your "The GM is no good" and raise you "The area is not attractive and no GM can change that".

I think your argument is with Chain rather than myself.

He's properly frustrated and cynical that the Sabres have been moving backwards while other franchises (sexier and glitzier) are able to leap forward in a single year. And it appears he is unwilling to give Botts a pass on that. Irrespective of the rationales/justifications being tossed about.

If that's representative of his views, then I agree with him. It's Botterill's job to improve the roster by what ever means possible. If UFA's aren't an option then seek other means. (Draft, draft, draft, tap under utilized resources (KHL??), etc..)). NO whining. No hand wringing. Find a way. You've crapped out 2 seasons in a row. Do your job or move on.

He gets 1 more year as far as I am concerned and its already started for him.

Sorry Moderators, I know this post is getting outside of this threads intent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad