NHL Around the NHL 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
signing just their top 2 players {I will call it 22 mill between the 2 of them you divide it up as you like}

* Austin Matthews 11 mill
* Mitch Marner 11 mill
John Tavares 11 mill
william nylander 6,962,366
Patrick marleau 6,250,000
Nazem Kadri 4,500,000
Zach Hyman 2,250,000
Connor Brown 2,100,000
Frank Gautier .675,000
----------------------
morgan rielly 5 mill
nikita zaitsev 4,500,000
travis dermott .863,333
justin holl .675,000
--------------------
frederik anderson 5,000,000

= 14 players signed for 71,785,366

9 players left to sign... say 8 sign for 900k each elc takes us 79 mill with 1/3 of team all elc contract

how much will cap go up... will it be enough to sign gardiner? or another 20 min/anight dmen?

the leafs are as good as they will ever be today... they have maxed out. theres no room to add a needed dman

you will notice I left some of their important players off my list... rfa/ufa… zero chance to sign them given the reality of this bleak situation

can they trade nylander for a dman? sure... why not
will they get rid of marleau {shouldn't have signed him in first place}

what will that do to their fabulous forward depth? will they still be anything special to talk about with his 4 above average forwards left to carry the load?

they better hope for miracle goaltending because that d looks putrid once gardnier and hainsey are gone and replaced with two elc contracts

everyone is going to know they are desperately looking to deal marleau/nylander for a dman… vultures will be circling.

and people told me this was a 'good problem' to have. fans will be rioting when Toronto is shotgunned into bad trades and falls short of a sniff of the cup. will they even win a playoff round before they have to break up this team?

labour shutdown coming in the next cba negotiation and Toronto will be leading the war wagons

It is much better to have too many good players than not enough. Brown/Hyman and Marleau fix the issues with out losing a lot of their forward depth.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
that because he racked up nearly 400 wins with the Bruins which can't be taken away no matter the efforts

No one is. But his tenure has been largely a disaster in Edmonton. It's quite astounding consider he was gifted the ability to walk up and not f*** up McDavid's name.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
McQuaid has always been sort of a string bean for a guy who is 6'4 (210 pounds per hockey reference).
Reaves is listed at 6'1 225 pounds.

Each side is giving up some to the other but Reaves is just an animal. Not that McQuaid is someone I'd wanna fight either :laugh:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
No one is. But his tenure has been largely a disaster in Edmonton. It's quite astounding consider he was gifted the ability to walk up and not **** up McDavid's name.

The Oilers have been a bust for while, no matter how many #1 picks they get. Maybe it's a bad fit for him. His #'s in Boston are very good, and the core beside Debrusk and and Mcavoy is still very much the team left us.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The Oilers have been a bust for while, no matter how many #1 picks they get. Maybe it's a bad fit for him. His #'s in Boston are very good, and the core beside Debrusk and and Mcavoy is still very much the team left us.

Post Cup, Chia was awful in Boston and has continued that trend in EDM. You would hope that a GM would learn from his previous mistakes, but Chia appears to be doing the same stuff in EDM that got him fired here.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Post Cup, Chia was awful in Boston and has continued that trend in EDM. You would hope that a GM would learn from his previous mistakes, but Chia appears to be doing the same stuff in EDM that got him fired here.

well I don't consider a 102 point season, a cup run in the lockout year, and a 117 point season a huge decline after the Cup run. Yes he had a tough 96 point season on his way out, ill give you that, however Bruins made the playoffs 2 years later with 95 points (as a 6 seed)

Last edited:

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
McQuaid has always been sort of a string bean for a guy who is 6'4 (210 pounds per hockey reference).
Reaves is listed at 6'1 225 pounds.

Each side is giving up some to the other but Reaves is just an animal. Not that McQuaid is someone I'd wanna fight either :laugh:

IMO McQuaid was too focused on shaking his elbow pad off, stopped punching, and gave Reaves the opening. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a round 2 at some point to make up for that.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
well I don't consider a 102 point season, a cup run in the lockout year, and a 117 point season a huge decline after the Cup run. Yes he had a tough 96 point season on his way out, ill give you that, however Bruins made the playoffs 2 years later with 95 points (as a 6 seed)

It wasn’t just about the records, it was where the team was trending. Rather than swap guys out (ala Chicago), Chia tried to keep the band together and then put all his chips in when he signed Iginla and handcuffed the team going forward with the Cap. Combined with some subpar drafting, the team was going South.

If the rumors are to be believed, Neely vetoed a trade in Chia’s last deadline that would have shipped Krug to Arizona for Vermette I believe? Thank god for that.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Bobo getting on the naughty list early this year...

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
It wasn’t just about the records, it was where the team was trending. Rather than swap guys out (ala Chicago), Chia tried to keep the band together and then put all his chips in when he signed Iginla and handcuffed the team going forward with the Cap. Combined with some subpar drafting, the team was going South.

If the rumors are to be believed, Neely vetoed a trade in Chia’s last deadline that would have shipped Krug to Arizona for Vermette I believe? Thank god for that.

I thought I recalled a potential Yandle/Vermette for Krug and their 1st rounder or something like that. But you're right, thank God. And the way the national hockey media panned the Bruins for firing him.

It's crazy, he had a great run in building that Cup team, Kelly for a second, Horton and Campbell for a 1st and Wideman (lol), Peverley, Boychuck for a minor leaguer, Seidenberg from Florida, Paille for a pick. He was rolling.

Then it all fell apart after 2013, Seguin trade, extending Seidenberg instead of Boychuck, trading Boychuck on the eve of the season (thanks for Carlo though) gutting the locker room, etc., putting them in Cap hell (Krecji deal, Campbell & Paille extensions, etc.) And he royally screwed up Edmonton, he had a blank friggin canvas, and insisted on building a 'heavy' team when the league was going the other way. He drove his second team straight into cap hell too. Brutal.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
IMO McQuaid was too focused on shaking his elbow pad off, stopped punching, and gave Reaves the opening. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a round 2 at some point to make up for that.

The only other fight I remember McQuaid losing was preseason against Bobby Robins. What can you say, Reaves is the champ.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
It is much better to have too many good players than not enough. Brown/Hyman and Marleau fix the issues with out losing a lot of their forward depth.

I just watched wednsdays leafs lunch... gord miller is saying over 13.5 for Matthews.

they went through an exercise trying to guess the combind hit for the 2 players... the one guy was saying 22.5 for the over/under and the other guys said over...

even at my projection they are losing kapanen/hainsey/gardnier/and johanson. will they get value back? a couple of these guys are ufa and they wont be getting anything back

the leafs right now are bragging about their depth... how much depth do they have after all the necessary adjustments?

in the past it was teams like boston, Chicago, LA who won a cup and had to let guys go because of the cap... now its teams that have never won a playoff round who get 3 years of a kid before they have to start making slashing cuts into their lineup

im shocked you cant see the problem that is developing

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Next in the line of people going to Vegas and playing great is Brandon Pirri. In other news, Alex Tuch is still really f***ing good.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
McDavid is a machine, wonder how many points he'd score on a decent team.

Don't think it would be monumental. He does get to play with one of Draisaitl or RNH. At least he wouldn't have to play 27 minutes on a better team

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I just watched wednsdays leafs lunch... gord miller is saying over 13.5 for Matthews.

they went through an exercise trying to guess the combind hit for the 2 players... the one guy was saying 22.5 for the over/under and the other guys said over...

even at my projection they are losing kapanen/hainsey/gardnier/and johanson. will they get value back? a couple of these guys are ufa and they wont be getting anything back

the leafs right now are bragging about their depth... how much depth do they have after all the necessary adjustments?

in the past it was teams like boston, Chicago, LA who won a cup and had to let guys go because of the cap... now its teams that have never won a playoff round who get 3 years of a kid before they have to start making slashing cuts into their lineup

im shocked you cant see the problem that is developing

You honestly freak out way too much in cap related endeavors. They will lose people. I expect them to play serious hard ball with their non-star RFAs like Kapanen and Johnsson. Hainsey isn't really a loss. Their AHL club is still really well, and they have a decent enough pool to recover from some losses. Gardiner will be the biggest piece they have to figure out.

Reactions: BruinDust

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Next in the line of people going to Vegas and playing great is Brandon Pirri. In other news, Alex Tuch is still really ****ing good.
Tuch is a player I would love in Boston. I've had that feeling every time I watch him play. Always stands out to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->