Cambridge, MA
2016-0130-NHL-mascots.jpg

Reactions: 22Brad Park and BMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The Athletic has the "Down Goes Brown" column now, recent entry is a joke piece about William Nylander trade destinations. This one was pretty good:

Boston:

Pro: They already have David Pastrnak and seem to be enjoying him, so they would probably love to have a guy who’s apparently over $1 million better.

Con: No way to know for sure, but may have had some scouts watching the Leafs in last year’s playoffs.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Pretty much

Meh, every situation is different.

Bowman handed JQ a pretty f***ing stacked roster for a lot of years, and to his credit, he won a lot with it. In his case, I would say it might have just been time for CHI to move on from him (ala Francona) and go in a different direction.

LA was getting older and added a Kovalchuk and Stevens couldn't do anything with the roster provided. In fairness he was dealing with an injury to Quick.

McLelland had good results with a similar roster his first year and nobody was complaining then.

In STL, they loaded up in the offseason. ROR, Perron, Bozak...in this case, the Blues were underperforming under Yeo, and I don't blame Armstrong for canning him.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Ya those years were really horrible with Chia. And he was also 1 won from another cup final in Edmonton. Let me know when someone in Boston gets remotely close to that
This is such revisionist thinking.

Yes Chiarelli was good building the Bruins back from a laughing stock into a cup winner, and cup finalist. But his inability to identify talent to keep and talent to let walk, closed their window way sooner than it should have. He did the exact same thing in EDM, obviously lucking into McDavid helped, but he's made some absolutely horrendous moves since that year they were in the WCF, and hurt his teams chances at taking the next step, just like he did at the end of his tenure in Boston.

Of course I'll always be thankful that he brought the Cup here, but he's a mediocre at best GM, and they are better off without him IMO.

Good guy to come in and rebuild with, not the guy you want to have continued success.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
This is such revisionist thinking.

Yes Chiarelli was good building the Bruins back from a laughing stock into a cup winner, and cup finalist. But his inability to identify talent to keep and talent to let walk, closed their window way sooner than it should have. He did the exact same thing in EDM, obviously lucking into McDavid helped, but he's made some absolutely horrendous moves since that year they were in the WCF, and hurt his teams chances at taking the next step, just like he did at the end of his tenure in Boston.

Of course I'll always be thankful that he brought the Cup here, but he's a mediocre at best GM, and they are better off without him IMO.

Good guy to come in and rebuild with, not the guy you want to have continued success.

I obviously have a different opinion but thats ok. I have enormous respect for his tenure here and his last draft was amazing. I think Neely and Charlie ousted him at the end similar to what happened to Claude and I have little confidence of their leadership. It is what it is. I only hope Chia does well in his continued NHL career.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I obviously have a different opinion but thats ok. I have enormous for his tenure here and his last draft was amazing. I think Neely and Charlie ousted him at the end similar to what happened to Claude and I have little confidence of their leadership. It is what it is. I only hope Chia does well in his continued NHL career.

Whether you like him or hate him, Chia is probably next on the chopping block if Hitchcock can't turn the Oilers around sufficiently enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad