NHL Around the NHL 2018-19 III - Seattle will become 32nd NHL Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I honestly see Leafs as cup champs this year, provided Matthews stays healthy. He took another big hit near the boards last night.

Hurts to say it but there it is. Well, it doesn’t hurt that much. Sure, their fans can be annoying but they’re a, *gulp*, likable team for the most part

I can't see that happening this year. I can see Tampa or Nashville winning it all this year, and Washington is still a force...too many stronger teams. While the Bruins are struggling, imagine if Toronto lost Matthews and Reilly for a stretch like the Bruins lost Chara, Bergy, McAvoy, Miller, Carlo.....they have had so few injuries over the last 3 years it is unreal, if it bites them we will see how deep they really are. There is so much time left in the regular season, anything could happen. They are not strong defensively, other than Reilly, and their back-up goalie is pretty weak.

Reactions: Strafer

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Key word "right now", after 20-something regular season games. He was horrible in game 1, and average to decent the rest of the series. He was the least ****ty D-man in that series, but that wasn't saying much.

Have you watched him at all this year, other than when we’ve played them?

Kids a legit #1 Dman. If McAvoy develops along the same trajectory Reilly is on, we’d be thrilled.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:popcorn:

upload_2018-12-9_2-15-46.png

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
From an interview with Adrian Aucoin. This part cracked me up :laugh:

Q&A: Adrian Aucoin, the last NHL player (probably) to use...

Being nicknamed “The Closer” after scoring five consecutive shootout-winning goals in 2010 – Feb. 2, Feb. 5, March 10, March 14, March 21.
We were in Nashville and we went through the first five shooters. Then Tippett, around six, he’s like, “Oakie, you’re up.” And I’m like, “nope.” We got to around eight or nine and he said, “you’re up,” and I’m like, “nope.” I wouldn’t say I’m a shy guy, but being alone in front of 20,000 people to me is not normal. One of the reasons I love hockey more than any other sport is because everybody plays, everybody’s a part of it, you have goalies that help you, D that help you, coaches that help you. If you make a mistake, there’s always someone there to help you out. In the shootout, there’s nobody there but me.
(After agreeing to go in the 10th round), I came down, shot top corner, scored. And it was kind of a big joke. So we win. The next game we go to Chicago … it was a big deal going back to one of your old buildings. Tippett calls me, I go. Same shot – top, glove.
Five game-winners in a row. More than surprising, it was actually just a big comedy for our team. The guys would just love it. Tippett loved it. The coaches loved it. We just thought it was a big joke.
Then the sixth time I went (March 25) he put me in the first three (shooters). I’m not superstitious, but everyone’s like, “you can’t do that.” It was against Pekka Rinne and he’d watched what I did because I scored my first one on him. He literally just stood there with his glove up in the air and I shot it right into his glove. He didn’t even budge.

8Neely8

Jul 3, 2009
They have a stud on the backend. His name is Morgan Reilly.

I get that Leafs players are over-hyped by the Toronto media and Leafs fans. But if anyone thinks that kid is a stiff, then they’re either just haters, or they haven’t watched him play.

Right now, he’s better than any Dman we have on our roster.

Not sure what your definition of a "stud" is, but living in Toronto and watching Reilly play on a regular basis, I'd have have to disagree.

I'm not a hater, but just stating the facts. Before this season, he was a combined -70 for the past 5 seasons, and still has many defensive liabilities in his game, one of which is being a true "shut down" dman when the chips are on the table.

Season Age Tm GP G A PTS +/-
2013-14 19 TOR 73 2 25 27 -13
2014-15 20 TOR 81 8 21 29 -16
2015-16 21 TOR 82 9 27 36 -17
2016-17 22 TOR 76 6 21 27 -20
2017-18 23 TOR 76 6 46 52 -4

Who knows if/when Reilly will ever turn into a true "stud" defenseman where he can be counted on both defensively and offensively, but this year he is benefiting from playing regularly on the top unit, and on a power play unit that boasts Mathews/Tavares/Marner (where nearly 40% of his points have come from this season.)

...and by the way, Charlie McAvoy says "hi"

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
LOL. We'll agree to disagree then.

You want to penalize him for past seasons for playing on poor Leafs teams when he started, but disregard this year because he's benefitting from their forward group....I can see where this is going. No thanks.

Last edited:

8Neely8

Jul 3, 2009
LOL. We'll agree to disagree then.

You want to penalize him for past seasons for playing on poor Leafs teams when he started, but disregard this year because he's benefitting from their forward group....I can see where this is going. No thanks.
You're right...Reilly has played on some poor teams that past couple years where he was a combined -24....

Toronto
2017/2018 - 105 Pts
2016-2017 - 95 Pts

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If anyone feels the need to vomit,

24 Together, The story of the 1993 Canadiens is on NHL Network right now.

Easily the worst SC winner of the last 25 years.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Blues are pretty damn bad. Elias Pettersson has four points in two periods.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
NHL lol ..Lucic hit Harmonic same way McAvoy got caught and Peluso asks him fight.Lucic gets a shot in and Peluso more then ready for good fight and linesmen jump on the two of them and give Flames extra 2.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Watch Looch be coming back.Better not at 6 mil per I will flip.

Unlike many here, I wouldn’t be against it per se.....of course it would need to work money - wise, and obviously be part of a deal that makes them better, both today and going forward.

But, I think he could find a role here. Not top 6 obviously.

Regardless...it’s not happening.

Reactions: 22Brad Park
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad