Around the NHL 2017-2018 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Poor buffalo having to settle for a very distant second in eichel the year they did everything they could to land mcdavid.

The comparison is not even close

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Poor buffalo having to settle for a very distant second in eichel the year they did everything they could to land mcdavid.

The comparison is not even close

I used to debate those two, I was wrong. McDavid is the best young hockey player I have seen. Gretzky and Super Mario were before I can really remember. He has surpassed Lindros for me at this point.

Tanking in that year meant getting at worst Eichel, who has had two tough injuries, but when healthy is a Top 10 player in the league already in his own right. That is hardly a bad thing. It isn't McDavid but he is a unique thing, he actually is what the media has been forcing on us in terms of Crosby. A singular talent that is an earth shattering amount better than all of his peers.

Eichel is a monster when he is on. He is an insanely good player.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I used to debate those two, I was wrong. McDavid is the best young hockey player I have seen. Gretzky and Super Mario were before I can really remember. He has surpassed Lindros for me at this point.

Tanking in that year meant getting at worst Eichel, who has had two tough injuries, but when healthy is a Top 10 player in the league already in his own right. That is hardly a bad thing. It isn't McDavid but he is a unique thing, he actually is what the media has been forcing on us in terms of Crosby. A singular talent that is an earth shattering amount better than all of his peers.

Eichel is a monster when he is on. He is an insanely good player.

Personally i have seen enough of Eichel now i just don' see it

I personally don' see the ability to not only dominate game in and game out but also raise the play of everyone on the ice around him.

I think he will go on to being just a good player with a few top end years, a Jason spezza type guy

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Personally i have seen enough of Eichel now i just don' see it

I personally don' see the ability to not only dominate game in and game out but also raise the play of everyone on the ice around him.

I think he will go on to being just a good player with a few top end years, a Jason spezza type guy

I have injuries as the only concern at this point as he has twice picked up significant injuries to his ankles. Does he become like Forsberg in terms of being constantly nicked up? He dominated Matthews heads up just this week. For most of the season Eichel had accounted for more than half of his team points. At one point he was on a historic pace in terms of offense accounted for.

I still believe he will get a Hart trophy or two during his time in the league.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I have injuries as the only concern at this point as he has twice picked up significant injuries to his ankles. Does he become like Forsberg in terms of being constantly nicked up? He dominated Matthews heads up just this week. For most of the season Eichel had accounted for more than half of his team points. At one point he was on a historic pace in terms of offense accounted for.

I still believe he will get a Hart trophy or two during his time in the league.

Fair enough

I always respect your opinion

It will be fun to watch

As for Mathews I am not sold yet on him either. Injuries already are concerning. Laine may end up the best player un the draft.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fair enough

I always respect your opinion

It will be fun to watch

As for Mathews I am not sold yet on him either. Injuries already are concerning. Laine may end up the best player un the draft.

I think the concerns around Eichel remind me of Hedman in that it seems overly critical. In fact I think he has been substantially better than Hedman was even as a young player. But you can see the talent or at least I guess I think I see great talent. I think much like Hedman it isn't long before we say yeah he is a Top 5 player like Hedman did become a Top 5 D-man that was promised.

Reactions: TheMule93

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think the concerns around Eichel remind me of Hedman in that it seems overly critical. In fact I think he has been substantially better than Hedman was even as a young player. But you can see the talent or at least I guess I think I see great talent. I think much like Hedman it isn't long before we say yeah he is a Top 5 player like Hedman did become a Top 5 D-man that was promised.

Not sure that' a fair comparison

Dmen are a different animal

My prediction remains, Jason spezza.. a few years of high end production and that's about it.

I think spezza was a very good player so that' no insult to Eichel. Just don't see a career dominating elite level guy

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sedin's are basically Vancouver's Datsyuk and Zetterberg

They don't have quite the history in Vancouver but they are far from a new franchise at this point, but the Sedins hold almost every franchise record. While I think Bure at his zenith was better, they are actually bigger in terms of the history of the franchise. They are top 3 players in the entire history of their franchise. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are not that though I understand how big of a deal you were trying to attach. Just saying in the pecking order of Canucks history the lowest you could have those two is 2nd and 3rd they easily surpass Linden.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is a fascinating Hart race, I am really curious to see how it plays out.

I think I have Kopitar as my winner but I have always been such a huge fan that I am not sure if that is a quasi-homer pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is a fascinating Hart race, I am really curious to see how it plays out.

I think I have Kopitar as my winner but I have always been such a huge fan that I am not sure if that is a quasi-homer pick.

Kopitar or McDavid for me. McDavid single handedly put up a huge amount of Edmonton’s offense by himself this year. Then Kopitar had a great offensive year plus everything else he does. So has to be 1 of the 2 for me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kopitar or McDavid for me. McDavid single handedly put up a huge amount of Edmonton’s offense by himself this year. Then Kopitar had a great offensive year plus everything else he does. So has to be 1 of the 2 for me.

I think I would go with Hall #2. I am big on going to the playoffs. I love McDavid's season, but I don't put him over Kopitar and Hall who helped will their teams to the post-season, well I presume at this point Jersey will hold off Florida.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
if oilers made the playoffs, it would be mcdavid hands down. But I just can't see the hart going to a player that didn't even make the playoffs

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Barzal hits 80 points as a rookie. 21st player to do it. The only others who have done this since the 1994 lockout are Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
44wxu0velaq01.jpg

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Hope McDavid will have a healthy career. Would love to see him string a ton of 100 point seasons together in a row

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And the Vegas Cinderella story just keeps rolling along. Pittsburgh must be wondering where on Earth this version of MAF has been.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Four years after a championship, the Kings look listless, and national media is openly asking if now is the time to start the rebuild:

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/time-has-come-for-the-kings-to-rebuild-1.1061737

Shades of five years ago...
Well they’ve missed the playoffs twice since their cup and won a single playoff game. I have no idea how they’re this bad with Kopitar/Doughty/Quick but even our last 4 seasons are somehow more ”successful” than theirs.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Well they’ve missed the playoffs twice since their cup and won a single playoff game. I have no idea how they’re this bad with Kopitar/Doughty/Quick but even our last 4 seasons are somehow more ”successful” than theirs.

I wouldn't call them bad necessarily. Their goaltending and defense are still very good. Balanced scoring used to be their bread and butter. Now if Kopitar and Carter don't score this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->