Around the NHL 2017-2018 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The Red Wings get to face a 1-2 punch of Matthews and Tavares 4 times next year, man is it going to be great watching the Red Wings defend against them!

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner

They'll probably win many games 6-5, their defence isn't to par with their offence, but it'll be fun to watch.
Indeed.

Wonder which one of Nylander/Marner/Kadri will get moved for both a lack of cap space, and a need to bolster their D.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
How is it Tavares' fault, Doc?

The Islanders have been a dumpsterfire forever, and during his last extension, he signed a beauty of a hometown discount in a league where that doesn't happen anymore. They did a poor job of signing/drafting/trading for a goalie, and other than that offseason where they traded for Boychuk and Leddy, they've done a terrible job of adding to their abysmal blue line.
I don't blame him for leaving. But based on reports it did seem like he was still interested in sticking around, and if he had communicated with the team that drafted him both parties could have at least walled away somewhat happy.

The Islanders shouldn't have relied on his good will to stay (I doubt I would have), but it doesn't help when it seems like you are being led on to think it is the case. Based on his post about the signing it seemed like he couldn't wait to go to Toronto.

Then again, maybe I'm out to lunch on what really happened between the two parties.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I don't blame him for leaving. But based on reports it did seem like he was still interested in sticking around, and if he had communicated with the team that drafted him both parties could have at least walled away somewhat happy.

The Islanders shouldn't have relied on his good will to stay (I doubt I would have), but it doesn't help when it seems like you are being led on to think it is the case. Based on his post about the signing it seemed like he couldn't wait to go to Toronto.

Then again, maybe I'm out to lunch on what really happened between the two parties.

It seems like he communicated that he was leaning toward leaving, and they brought in Trotz and Lou in an effort to persuade him to stay.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Tampa remains the best team in our division when my head hits the pillow tonight.

I am also curious to see how Matthews really feels about this. He has been promised to be the face of this team and that went up in smoke a little after noon today. He already doesn't like Babcock, it would be interesting if the Leafs prized youngster has a different take on this than Leafs fans. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't. He is supposed to be the captain that was his reality for the last two years and now that C is on 91. He might not be all smiles about that. That would also be hilarious.

But they are close now, if they ship Nylander (really he is the only one I would consider here) or Marner for the right D-man they are probably in business if luck smiles on them. Until they improve their backend they look an awful lot like those great Vancouver teams that never got the break to win.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Tampa remains the best team in our division when my head hits the pillow tonight.

I am also curious to see how Matthews really feels about this. He has been promised to be the face of this team and that went up in smoke a little after noon today. He already doesn't like Babcock, it would be interesting if the Leafs prized youngster has a different take on this than Leafs fans. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't. He is supposed to be the captain that was his reality for the last two years and now that C is on 91. He might not be all smiles about that. That would also be hilarious.

But they are close now, if they ship Nylander (really he is the only one I would consider here) or Marner for the right D-man they are probably in business if luck smiles on them. Until they improve their backend they look an awful lot like those great Vancouver teams that never got the break to win.
How about trading Matthews to AZ for a D?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Which one, I mean I doubt they ship OEL now. I guess they could offer the Leafs and one for one for him.

Matthews to Arizona would be huge there, that is 15 years of business certainty for your biggest struggling franchise in Arizona.

I would love to see it happen. As a USA hockey fan I don't want him playing second fiddle on his club team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Funny how the classic one two punch at center has always worked in the NHL as a recipe for success: Yzerman/Fedorov, Lemieux/Francis, Gretzky/Messier, Crosby/Malkin, Backstrom/Kuznetsov, Sakic/Forsberg, but the moment the Leafs do it, their franchise center from Arizona is going to abandon ship to be man alone on a budget team in the desert because his feelings are going to be hurt.

Strange narratives.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Funny how the classic one two punch at center has always worked in the NHL as a recipe for success: Yzerman/Fedorov, Lemieux/Francis, Gretzky/Messier, Crosby/Malkin, Backstrom/Kuznetsov, Sakic/Forsberg, but the moment the Leafs do it, their franchise center from Arizona is going to abandon ship to be man alone on a budget team in the desert because his feelings are going to be hurt.

Strange narratives.

Outside of Backstrom none of those players were promised to be the guy and then suddenly weren't.

It might work but what the Leafs lack is the back-end support. So until they trade Marner or Nylander for that help I am not excited.

Are they better than Tampa right now? My answer is no, so the only strange narrative here is Tavares coming on board which wasn't weakness has shored up their weaknesses... Which this didn't.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Outside of Backstrom none of those players were promised to be the guy and then suddenly weren't.

It might work but what the Leafs lack is the back-end support. So until they trade Marner or Nylander for that help I am not excited.

Are they better than Tampa right now? My answer is no, so the only strange narrative here is Tavares coming on board which wasn't weakness has shored up their weaknesses... Which this didn't.

Not sure what you mean by "promised" or how Matthews isn't even their number one center. He's pretty much at Tavares' offensive level as a 20 year old and will only get better with support from... Tavares.

As far as Tampa is concerned, it will be interesting to see the two blue and white teams duking it out.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not sure what you mean by "promised" or how Matthews isn't even their number one center. He's pretty much at Tavares' offensive level as a 20 year old and will only get better with support from... Tavares.

As far as Tampa is concerned, it will be interesting to see the two blue and white teams duking it out.

I mean I think JT elevates them above Boston, but honestly McAvoy taking a huge step might nullify that as well. The Leafs are in tough division. Bozak and JVR out with Tavares in is a win but maybe not the massive windfall I am reading about especially since their biggest issue was having a crummy D-core. They have the same crummy D-core. Most of our board knows though that I am not a huge Morgan Rielly guy which also greatly impacts how I view the Leafs versus people that are believers.

If you don't think Matthews thought he was the eventual captain of the Maple Leafs the last two years I don't know what to tell you. But it is going to be Tavares now and that has to hurt Matthews on some level.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Strange narratives.

Some stars have egos. Matthews was suppose to be "the guy" in Toronto. That's not the case anymore. It's no different than if a company you work for hires someone above you with similar experience. Before Tavares left the narrative was "superstars never leave their team." Now that he's left to "go home" it's not out of the question to speculate Matthews might "go home" to Arizona when he hits UFA.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Some stars have egos. Matthews was suppose to be "the guy" in Toronto. That's not the case anymore. It's no different than if a company you work for hires someone above you with similar experience. Before Tavares left the narrative was "superstars never leave their team." Now that he's left to "go home" it's not out of the question to speculate Matthews might "go home" to Arizona when he hits UFA.

I think that really depends on if Arizona is any good when Matthews is making a decision. Tavares didn't go home to Toronto just because it's Toronto, he went home because they had the money and they're a cup contender. If Toronto is coming off of a lottery pick, I don't see Tavares wasting his time.

I think Matthews needs to be careful here and check his ego, especially if they actually win. This may be a good thing for both Matthews and Tavares, Patrick O'Sullivan talked about something like this on XM, he said having a guy come in to take the load off of you is actually a good thing. It would've been like Tavares going to Boston. Everyone knows who the 1st line in Boston is, Tavares would go be the #2 and not have to battle the top line every night and that can be very enticing to players.

I know Matthews has had problems with Babcock and he has some beefs, but if they win, you need to milk that for all it's worth.

With all of that said, I don't buy for a second that Matthews is going to pout about this. This is a really good thing for him and all indications show that he's happy about it.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You see this Ryan O'Reilly trade? That's a king's ransom. Wow.

Edit: I guess others don't agree. Tage Thompson and Berglund must have really fallen in value?

Thompson is fine, but Sobotka and Berglund were basically cap dumps. The Blues needed to clear up a logjam, they actually saved cap space with this deal while keeping their best prospects.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Maybe I'm just not that high on ROR. I see this as a 1st, a 2nd, a decent prospect, and some cap dumps for a very expensive 60 point center.

Definitely, but they're hard to come by. ROR is one of the best face off guys in the league and can play in any situation. I don't think ROR or Bozak gives STL the #1 center they need, but ROR is an upgrade over Stastny at least.

edit: I forgot they had Schenn too, that makes this look much better.

Last edited:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Nylander for Parayko.
That would've made sense, but now with the Blues acquiring O'Reilly...

Maybe I'm just not that high on ROR. I see this as a 1st, a 2nd, a decent prospect, and some cap dumps for a very expensive 60 point center.
Yeah - seems like he's a 60 to 65 pts guy...A bit steep of a return if you ask me, but the Blues are desperate for a 'decent' centerman.

EDIT - apparently the folks over at the Blues forums are quite happy...Good for them!

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think that really depends on if Arizona is any good when Matthews is making a decision. Tavares didn't go home to Toronto just because it's Toronto, he went home because they had the money and they're a cup contender. If Toronto is coming off of a lottery pick, I don't see Tavares wasting his time.

I think Matthews needs to be careful here and check his ego, especially if they actually win. This may be a good thing for both Matthews and Tavares, Patrick O'Sullivan talked about something like this on XM, he said having a guy come in to take the load off of you is actually a good thing. It would've been like Tavares going to Boston. Everyone knows who the 1st line in Boston is, Tavares would go be the #2 and not have to battle the top line every night and that can be very enticing to players.

I know Matthews has had problems with Babcock and he has some beefs, but if they win, you need to milk that for all it's worth.

With all of that said, I don't buy for a second that Matthews is going to pout about this. This is a really good thing for him and all indications show that he's happy about it.

I don't see Tavares/Matthews being an issue, either. I'm also not seeing any big issues cap wise, unless the ceiling falls for some reason. If the Wings were in the Leafs' position right now, we'd be loving this. Especially with money to spare on another UFA (Hamhuis wouldn't look bad), some trade chips to blow, and Liljegren likely ready to be promoted.

and if Toronto does win...well, winning solves a lot of attitude problems.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Auston Matthews is still The Guy™.

All the Leafs did was add a franchise center from a less competitive team to go with their bigger, younger, more skilled number one franchise center.

Reactions: Ulysses31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad