Around the NHL 2017-2018 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
To put into context: Price is being paid more than we'll be paying Howard and Mrazek combined. And we pay far far too much for our goaltending.

Yeah but Price is actually good. Really, really good.

I don't think paying that cap hit is all that crazy. It's the 8 years part that gets wild. Paying top rate for an elite goalie for 3-4 years? I think they would be ok. I sincerely do. But who knows how things look in those final years.

This is such a common GM thing. Sign guys today, worry about the consequences later. Mainly because if the signing doesn't work it will be someone else's job to clean up anyway. :laugh:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I mean what do you do here with Price.

Not only is he the best goalie in the world, he is one of the top 3 or 4 players in the world.

Tough spot for anyone.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If he kept winning vezinas it would be ok. Bobrovsky could be the best goalie of the decade instead of price....

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah but Price is actually good. Really, really good.

I don't think paying that cap hit is all that crazy. It's the 8 years part that gets wild. Paying top rate for an elite goalie for 3-4 years? I think they would be ok. I sincerely do. But who knows how things look in those final years.

This is such a common GM thing. Sign guys today, worry about the consequences later. Mainly because if the signing doesn't work it will be someone else's job to clean up anyway. :laugh:

Look at Luongo for a case in point. Maybe never the caliber of Price, but a very good goalie. The term on his deal caught up with him and his team, though.

Price is a helluva goalie, but that team has some other problems that he doesn't solve. Which maybe isn't an issue, considering how dry free agency is.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Look at Luongo for a case in point. Maybe never the caliber of Price, but a very good goalie. The term on his deal caught up with him and his team, though.

Price is a helluva goalie, but that team has some other problems that he doesn't solve. Which maybe isn't an issue, considering how dry free agency is.

Ignore last season and Lu has pretty much played 60 games the last 3 seasons with fairly impressive numbers. His cap hit is 5.4M I think. His contract is stellar.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Leafs look ****ing scary.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Moore-Hyman
Leivo

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Carrick-Polak
Marchenko I think, Marincin

Andersen
McEihinney

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No kidding. Context matters.
Seems to be a lot of Leafs fans not liking the contract either.

For real? 3 years.... wtf

Wow 3 years :laugh: I guess we upped the deal to add a
3rd year.

This could be really bad.

2 years too long but I like Marleau.

Lots of money for a declining 37 year old.

That's a crap ton to pay just to get Hyman off Matthews' wing.

why are we rushing the rebuild tho

damn prove me wrong on this

I know Marleau is a very good player, but I really don't understand this. Signing a 37 year-old for three years at $6.25M/year? He has to be at the end of his playing days soon. I can't imagine he'll be worth that much for the next three years. So.... are we going to jettison a 27 year-old JVR to make room for a 37 year-old Marleau? Production is similar. I don't get it...

This is riduclous. If Babcock had an influence in making this happen them I'm furious, if Lou did it on his own then that just shows impatience. This is not what rebuilding teams do. We could've replaced his declining goal production via ELC's most likely, we could've used that salary space plus JVR's for the back-end.

It just shuts so many options whether they be UFA's for next year or whatever. I'd rather have given Radulov a 6 year deal than this.

Just from the first few pages of the Leafs board thread. Obviously a lot of excited people too, in the context of the Leafs cap situation and young core people aren't as negative as this board would have been... but still, it's a pretty questionable contract.

Overall I'm surprised Leafs are going for a couple of 36 year olds and a 38 year old. If they're going for a cup, there are better options. If they want veteran leadership, not sure Marleau is the guy for it (being stripped of his A and all). If they're hitting fast-forward on the rebuild and going into Cup-contender mode, they could have traded some picks and prospects for better players than Marleau on more favorable contracts.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yeah, I'm pretty sure most Wings fans who are fans of Holland would love this deal if he did it if he had the roster of the Leafs. I know if I were a Leafs fan I'd love this deal.

When the Wings were contenders I loved every move Holland did to try and win a cup, even if it was an over payment. I didn't care Holland traded Jarnkrok for Legwand even though it ended up being a pretty bad trade. I still don't care.

Marleau is 500 goal scorer who never misses a game, it's a fine deal for their team.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Yeah, I'm pretty sure most Wings fans who are fans of Holland would love this deal if he did it if he had the roster of the Leafs. I know if I were a Leafs fan I'd love this deal.

When the Wings were contenders I loved every move Holland did to try and win a cup, even if it was an over payment. I didn't care Holland traded Jarnkrok for Legwand even though it ended up being a pretty bad trade. I still don't care.

Marleau is 500 goal scorer who never misses a game, it's a fine deal for their team.

For a rebuilding team that desperately needs to upgrade their defense, it seems like a curious signing.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Marleau contract isn't bad for the position Toronto is in.

It's the logical next step in their rebuild.

They probably overpaid to sign him, but i can understand why they did it.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Yes, Marleau is a player with 500+ career goals. That's not indicative of the caliber of player he is right now though. To put his (current) production in perspective. He put up basically the same amount of goals and points as Tatar did in the same amount of ice time despite playing on a significantly better team, with significantly better linemates, and having a Norris trophy winning 80 point defenseman as his most common ice mate.

This is like when the Wings signed Mike Modano, except this deal is for a heck of a lot more cap and term. Even if it was just a 1 year deal, it's a huge overpayment for a 45 point winger.

It's not a "bad" deal or anything from the perspective of it's going to hurt the team or cause them to lose any players....I just think if they were willing to spend 6.5M/year over three years they could have gotten a much more impactful player for that price.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yes, Marleau is a player with 500+ career goals. That's not indicative of the caliber of player he is right now though. To put his (current) production in perspective. He put up basically the same amount of goals and points as Tatar did in the same amount of ice time despite playing on a significantly better team, with significantly better linemates, and having a Norris trophy winning 80 point defenseman as his most common ice mate.

This is like when the Wings signed Mike Modano, except this deal is for a heck of a lot more cap and term. Even if it was just a 1 year deal, it's a huge overpayment for a 45 point winger.

It's not a "bad" deal or anything from the perspective of it's going to hurt the team or cause them to lose any players....I just think if they were willing to spend 6.5M/year over three years they could have gotten a much more impactful player for that price.

Who else was available on the market?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If Detroit today had the exact same line-up as do the Leafs, I think it would be a great move

The ONLY time it's acceptable to sign guys over 34 to deals 3 or more years in length is when you have young studs as your teams top players

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Marleau because of his skating has a Mike Gartner feel to him. Big guy with good wheels even as he has slowed he is still in the top quarter of the league. He scored 27 goals last year. He isn't devoid of talent and doesn't look to be declining in a big way.

The wheels might fall off but I don't have a huge problem with it. I also have to chuckle at the notion that Hyman is absolutely sliding out of his spot. I know Leafs fans hope that is the case but we know Babs... He might surprise them in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->