Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He was never going to do that with us. I would have preferred to trade him in a separate deal for picks similar to what Tatar returned. We definitely sold low.

I think that's true. Miller wouldn't have done it with us. Namestnikov looks to me like a smarter overall player than JT--that said i don't think Namestnikov was as likely to put up as many points with Kucherov and Stamkos as Miller will. There's a tradeoff here and Namestnikov might be better for the Rangers needs than Miller but vice versa that deal is a lot more likely to be perceived in the future as a win--maybe even a big win for the Lightning.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Or perhaps we should wait a bit to see how things shake out?

Miller has gone on streaks like that with the Rangers before. Maybe he'll continue doing so there but I think making declarations after less than 10 games is a bit hasty.

Because if we're doing that, might as well start the Spooner for 2018-19 art ross thread right now.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
He was never going to do that with us. I would have preferred to trade him in a separate deal for picks similar to what Tatar returned. WeI definitely sold low.
I wonder how much of selling him low was because of the clash he had w/ AV. We all know him and JT didn't see eye to eye. Not making excuses but there was a clear "I don't like you" from AV as JT became the whipping boy for a lot of failure. This is exactly why AV needs to go, he's become toxic.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I wonder how much of selling him low was because of the clash he had w/ AV. We all know him and JT didn't see eye to eye. Not making excuses but there was a clear "I don't like you" from AV as JT became the whipping boy for a lot of failure. This is exactly why AV needs to go, he's become toxic.
AV should have been fired after he botched the Sens series. He's obviously not the long term answer at coach and we shouldn't be making personnel decisions because of him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
AlL hIs PoInTs CoMe FrOm StAmMkOs aNd KuChErOv!

Or do we only do that for guys we get from Tampa and not guys we give Tampa?

Tampa puts a guy with very good talent with two guys with great talent. I'm sorry but if you want to see someone reach the upper limits of their potential that's how you do it. Miller was a second liner with us but he's not just some schlub. You should have seen John LeClair as a Montreal Canadien. Doesn't even resemble the Montreal version a week after he goes to the Flyers and on Eric Lindros's wing. Was it just because of Lindros? It certainly helped. The Rangers have a version of this that goes back to the late 60's early 70's when Emile Francis put Hadfield on the wing with Ratelle and Gilbert who were easily the two most talented of that trio. A lot of people looked at Hadfield back then as a 3rd line tough guy. Which one of them ended up scoring 50 in a season? Don't worry---Stamkos and Kucherov are going to get a benefit from Miller playing with them.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
AV should have been fired after he botched the Sens series. He's obviously not the long term answer at coach and we shouldn't be making personnel decisions because of him.

In fairness, I think the Rangers concerns about Miller extended beyond his relationship with AV.

Having said that, I really didn't want to see him go and I think moving him is the biggest risk they took at the deadline.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Let's be realistic, Miller is now playing on one of the most stacked offenses in the league and arguably the league's best team. His numbers SHOULD look good.

The tell will be looking at the Namestnikov dropoff vs Miller boost. Some of each is fairly to be expected. And obviously in a year or so as the dust settles.

So far:
Namestnikov Pt/G was 63% higher on Tampa
Miller Pt/G is 103% higher on Tampa

Way to soon to call. We all know JT is streaky. And VN is more of a natural C.

But there has been way too much classic over-rationalization and baseless character assassination in the past few weeks. If this goes sideways it should be yet another major indictment on AV and a scar on Gorton's tenure. The NYR don't exactly have a track record of pumping out 50+ point 24 y/os.

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
His shooting % with tampa so far has been close to 30%. I think at the least we can all say that's not going to persist.

When all is said and done he will probably be a ~65 point player over there. Nemestnikov probably around ~50 here. I do think the difference is more than made up with VN's noticeably better two-way play

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The tell will be looking at the Namestnikov dropoff vs Miller boost. Obviously in a year or so as the dust settles.

So far:
Namestnikov Pt/G was 63% higher on Tampa
Miller Pt/G is 103% higher on Tampa

Way to soon to call. We all know JT is streaky. And VN is more of a natural C.

But there has been way too much classic over-rationalization and baseless character assassination in the past few weeks. If this goes sideways it should be yet another major indictment on AV and a scar on Gorton's tenure. The NYR don't exactly have a track record of pumping out 50+ point 24 y/os.

I will admit that I was surprised by the move and probably wouldn't have done it straight up, which is essentially what it was in the context of the overall trade package.

IMO, Miller and Kreider were two key parts I wanted to keep as we moved forward.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
His shooting % with tampa so far has been close to 30%. I think at the least we can all say that's not going to persist.

When all is said and done he will probably be a ~65 point player over there. Nemestnikov probably around ~50 here. I do think the difference is more than made up with VN's noticeably better two-way play

This was Namestnikov's first season breaking a 50 point pace. When he was with Tampa. You really think he will do that here? I do not.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There was a lot more with Miller than meets the eye. Something with attitude. Remember a few years during a Rangers-Sabres game when Michelleti kept on talking about how Ron Rolston I think it was straightened JT out from having discipline issues in school? Sometimes there's stuff that goes on that we don't know about. Zherdev before all his legal problems, he was an outstanding citizen the first 3/4s of the season he played here and then after it all went downhill. Then he becomes a jerk in the KHL.

The real test for Miller is the playoffs. That team is stacked but if Vasilevsky is truly shot, they may not get past the Boston-Toronto winner.

Leclair in Montreal was still clutch and scored some huge goals including an OT GWG the year Montreal won the Cup.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
There was a lot more with Miller than meets the eye. Something with attitude. Remember a few years during a Rangers-Sabres game when Michelleti kept on talking about how Ron Rolston I think it was straightened JT out from having discipline issues in school? Sometimes there's stuff that goes on that we don't know about. Zherdev before all his legal problems, he was an outstanding citizen the first 3/4s of the season he played here and then after it all went downhill. Then he becomes a jerk in the KHL

I can totally understand this. I could stomach the org moving on from him. But then I take issue with the return. When you have a GM telling The Athletic that "they were told he wasn't available" I can't help but be skeptical of JG's process.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I can totally understand this. I could stomach the org moving on from him. But then I take issue with the return. When you have a GM telling The Athletic that "they were told he wasn't available" I can't help but be skeptical of JG's process.
What article are you referring to?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
What article are you referring to?

One hockey exec from another team was bemused that Miller ended up in the trade.

“I was told Miller wasn’t available,’’ said the exec.

While this team seemingly couldn't get their hands on Miller, it was fairly understood around the league that Miller could be had if a team stepped up. There were very few untouchables on the Rangers roster.

LeBrun: A look at how deadline deals came together, why some...

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Devils with a 4-2 lead vs Knights in the 3rd - hopefully that`s enough to secure their playoffs wild card spot end of this season. I`m glad it`s not us who sneak in this year. :)

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Devils with a 4-2 lead vs Knights in the 3rd - hopefully that`s enough to secure their playoffs wild card spot end of this season. I`m glad it`s not us who sneak in this year. :)

how is them making the playoffs when we have their 2nd round pick a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->