Around the NHL - 2014-2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Next time someone says that it'd be a miracle if the Coyotes stay in the desert, I'll respond, "Dave Nonis traded David Clarkson less than a year after signing the worst contract in hockey history. If that can happen, anything is possible."

It only happened because the Jackets approached the Leafs about it, effectively bailing them out.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I like the way you think but isn't if year 2 for Clarkson in Toronto?
Next time someone says that it'd be a miracle if the Coyotes stay in the desert, I'll respond, "Dave Nonis traded David Clarkson less than a year after signing the worst contract in hockey history. If that can happen, anything is possible."

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yep. May as well get a player. Clarkson is a good guy on and off the ice, so there's that. Might not be totally useless on a well coached team.

Insurance should be mandatory on all multiyear contracts.

It's likely prohibitively expensive to insure all contracts. The NHL has a league-wide insurance policy where each team pays premiums on their 5 biggest contracts and can spread that insurance across up to 7 players.*. That coverage requires the player to be out something like half a season or more before insurance kicks in. And the insurer can deny future coverage on a case by case basis based on past injuries. For example I doubt the Pens are insured against a future Crosby concussion.

Any insurance beyond that has to be done on a one-off or small team pool basis. Making the premiums a lot higher.

Given their respective contracts, Columbus could probably trade Clarkson with salary retained and still come out ahead on the bottom line if Horton is never playing again.

*The last detailed report we had of the NHL contract insurance system was many years ago, that's how it worked at the time. Could have been tweaked a bit since then, but I'd expect it's still close to that methodology.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Kimo Timonen to CHI for 2015 second + conditional 2016 third.

Mixed feelings. Paying that for a guy who has played 0 games this year = YAY, prices are high!
But maybe improving CHI's offense = maybe reducing CHI's desire for Vermette = one less buyer at the auction
But geezus, if a player with THOSE injuries = 2+3 then Z will get a 2, right?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
From The Ducks vs Kings game.

B-6N0ZCUsAAqmSE.jpg

nkgw5g-b88345827z.120150227214600000ggf8950r.10.jpg

B-6QRUdVIAAlnuS.jpg

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Tim Erixon on waivers - I guess Rundblad is higher than him on the pecking order? :dunno:

Is Erixon worth a look considering Z will be gone by Monday?

Edit: I didn't check but his dad probably played with the Don.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
The farm team needs to get some playoff experience - McMillan's deal is a two way so I'm in favour of bringing him back.

Of course someone else could claim him and make the discussion moot.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona

First time I ever noticed the "OC" on that stadium series jersey.

I'm not surprised at all to see Kings fans causing havoc. I went to a game in Anaheim and their fans were pretty mellow unlike when I went to a Kings game at the Staples Center. Another time at Gila River arena there were some Kings fans in town for spring training and they were drunk and belligerent as well.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Curtis Glencross waived his NTC to facilitate deal to #caps. Calgary gets a 2nd- and 3rd-pick coming back in return.

— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) March 1, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad