Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It would be nice to see glimpses of the playmaker we expected him to be. That way I could at lest have some faith that our OHL scouts are not morons.
Maybe the morons are our coaching staff?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yeah. I've been watching. Strome is a passenger right now. He just happens to be a passenger on a line with Patrick Kane. I wouldn't make the claim that Strome is driving play.
What games are you watching? He's creating a lot of chances. Or do you mean Strome isn't creating as much offense as Kane, which could only be responded to by saying, "no #"?

Reactions: RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What games are you watching? He's creating a lot of chances. Or do you mean Strome isn't creating as much offense as Kane, which could only be responded to by saying, "no #"?
The difference between watching highlights and watching the whole game. Kind of pissing me off that I'm enjoying watching them more than us. Watching the former Yotes as well as legit stars like Kane and Toews is definitely more entertaining.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I just haven't seen the offensive creativity that made him a top prospect. I'm encouraged he's starting to get some assists but that secondary assist the other night on Kane's goal meant as much to me as Hayton's two point night against Denmark. I'm hoping for him. I pumped his tires for long enough.
Secondary assists can be as important as a primary assist. I'm not mad about the trade, players are traded all the time, but what rattles my a-- is that RT didn't bother to give Strome a chance to succeed, not a f------ chance. He did with Perlini, has with Fischer, even Crouse, so why in hell not Strome, who has dominated at every level he has played in. I knew this from the start of training camp that Strome was a goner.

Reactions: CLW and rt

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah. I've been watching. Strome is a passenger right now. He just happens to be a passenger on a line with Patrick Kane. I wouldn't make the claim that Strome is driving play.
Like Schmaltz did last year.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I really think that we can stop focusing on Strome. He is playing well enough in Chicago, but not anywhere near the level expected of a 3rd pick. He has a lot of talent around him and he will have a nice career, but will not reach the level that was expected of him. We had to trade him. The expectations of being a 3OA would be too heavy for Strome to reach his potential for the team that drafted him with such high expectations.

Reactions: hbk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Secondary assists can be as important as a primary assist. I'm not mad about the trade, players are traded all the time, but what rattles my a-- is that RT didn't bother to give Strome a chance to succeed, not a f------ chance. He did with Perlini, has with Fischer, even Crouse, so why in hell not Strome, who has dominated at every level he has played in. I knew this from the start of training camp that Strome was a goner.
Not all secondary assists are created equal. Some are a set play. Some you just tapped it to the guy who made the play. Strome hasn't shown me he can create offense yet consistently. Hes getting the opportunity to play with top line talent that he wasn't afforded here. I'm not debating that. I just want to see Strome do more of the creating.

I've liked Schmaltz thus far. He's driven the offense at times. He seems to be the better fit in our system. His speed being the differentiating factor from Strome.

I maintain that the player we drafted isn't the player our coaching staff then or coaching staff now wanted. He doesn't play an up tempo style which is what we wanted. Strome's play is very cerebral. Strome slows game down. Coaches want to play fast. It just wasn't a fit.

Reactions: BUX7PHX

cobra427

May 6, 2012
During the intermission yesterday, they were interviewing one of the Chicago assistants and they asked him to talk about how well Kane was playing. First thing he said was it was Kane AND Strome and talked about how their chemistry is developing. He talked more about Strome after a question about Kane than we ever heard from our staff.
Smart coach, good to make the GM (your boss) look smart, will help him keep his job.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Pretty much agree with this, and I have been to all recent Hawks home games. Playing with Kane, he will get points, he has more now than I thought he would, but never thought production would be a problem with great line mates. The rest of his game hasn't changed, he isn't effective all over the ice. I suspect a new young coach is partly catering to the GM's wishes with this recent trade.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I see no harm in calling out players. If these millionaires can handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. Us fans pay a lot of money for these babies and I want to see them perform.
Its unprofessional, and I do see harm. That stuff is for the locker room. Trying to embarrass somebody isn't the best motivator, this has been proven. Players hate it too and think they will be next to be called out.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

I think he's saying you watch Schmaltz play and he literally drives the play. He takes the puck and creates chances from nothing. Where as Strome cannot create something from nothing and he cannot drive the play. Strome is entirely dependent on his line mates. We got the best player from that trade, I don't know why some of you guys are still harping about Strome like he is the best of the three.

Reactions: cobra427 and hbk

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I really think that we can stop focusing on Strome. He is playing well enough in Chicago, but not anywhere near the level expected of a 3rd pick. He has a lot of talent around him and he will have a nice career, but will not reach the level that was expected of him. We had to trade him. The expectations of being a 3OA would be too heavy for Strome to reach his potential for the team that drafted him with such high expectations.
We don't have high expectations here. We DIDN'T have to trade him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not all secondary assists are created equal. Some are a set play. Some you just tapped it to the guy who made the play. Strome hasn't shown me he can create offense yet consistently. Hes getting the opportunity to play with top line talent that he wasn't afforded here. I'm not debating that. I just want to see Strome do more of the creating.

I've liked Schmaltz thus far. He's driven the offense at times. He seems to be the better fit in our system. His speed being the differentiating factor from Strome.

I maintain that the player we drafted isn't the player our coaching staff then or coaching staff now wanted. He doesn't play an up tempo style which is what we wanted. Strome's play is very cerebral. Strome slows game down. Coaches want to play fast. It just wasn't a fit.
Right now Schmaltz is probably the better player, but time will tell, if we even keep him with his salary demands. If Strome can play with Kane, who I would say plays an up tempo style, why wasn't he given a CHANCE with Keller? Your right, RT wants to play fast, so I guess that is why Kempe, Archilbald and Cousins who have a combined total of 21 pts. between them, are in the line up, but wait, they play a 200 ft. game will be every ones response. Strome, who as you say can't play up tempo and slows the game down has 17 pts. by himself. I'm not mad about the trade as trades happen all the time, and Schmaltz is a fine player and I hope we can keep him, but my concern is our coaching staff can't, or didn't even try to put Strome in a position to succeed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Smart coach, good to make the GM (your boss) look smart, will help him keep his job.
Come on Cobra, you know better than that.

It's tough to argue about Schmaltz not fitting our system better.
Hard not to fit "our system" better when the first day you arrive you are paired with line mates that are two of the best on your team, not with fourth liners.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Its unprofessional, and I do see harm. That stuff is for the locker room. Trying to embarrass somebody isn't the best motivator, this has been proven. Players hate it too and think they will be next to be called out.
Like the CEO said, they had meeting after meeting and nothing changed. Would be nice to hear RT, Chayka or AB call out a few of our vets for their crap play last year. These guys are making big bucks and I would bet that Sequin and Benn would agree with what the CEO said.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think he's saying you watch Schmaltz play and he literally drives the play. He takes the puck and creates chances from nothing. Where as Strome cannot create something from nothing and he cannot drive the play. Strome is entirely dependent on his line mates. We got the best player from that trade, I don't know why some of you guys are still harping about Strome like he is the best of the three.
You are right, two different type players. Both will be successful in this league. Schmaltz is a really good player and was the best player at the time of the trade.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Right now Schmaltz is probably the better player, but time will tell, if we even keep him with his salary demands. If Strome can play with Kane, who I would say plays an up tempo style, why wasn't he given a CHANCE with Keller? Your right, RT wants to play fast, so I guess that is why Kempe, Archilbald and Cousins who have a combined total of 21 pts. between them, are in the line up, but wait, they play a 200 ft. game will be every ones response. Strome, who as you say can't play up tempo and slows the game down has 17 pts. by himself. I'm not mad about the trade as trades happen all the time, and Schmaltz is a fine player and I hope we can keep him, but my concern is our coaching staff can't, or didn't even try to put Strome in a position to succeed.
I would have liked to have seen Strome get a shot wth Keller. When Galchenyuk went down and he still wasn't getting opportunity it was apparent we made our mind up on him.

You don't see the overall improvement on our first line since we added Schmaltz and his speed to the lineup? Kempe and likely Archibald should be in the AHL but because of injuries we are carrying an abundance of 4th liners right now. I don't like it either.

I'm also ticked we didn't take advantage of Anaheim yesterday on freeing up a contract slot. I hate being hamstrung by 50 contracts.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would have liked to have seen Strome get a shot wth Keller. When Galchenyuk went down and he still wasn't getting opportunity it was apparent we made our mind up on him.

You don't see the overall improvement on our first line since we added Schmaltz and his speed to the lineup? Kempe and likely Archibald should be in the AHL but because of injuries we are carrying an abundance of 4th liners right now. I don't like it either.

I'm also ticked we didn't take advantage of Anaheim yesterday on freeing up a contract slot. I hate being hamstrung by 50 contracts.
Schmaltz in now on the second line, trying to play C. I'm happy they separated Keller and Schmaltz which allows us to have two fairly good lines and makes it harder for other teams to defend. I think Anaheim took advantage of us as they knew we needed forwards. I agree, being at 50 contracts hurts, but the gunslinger will find a way. His next trade should be within 29 days and counting.:)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Trevor Murphy unlikely to re-sign given how far he's fallen on depth chart and given our lack of forward depth right now in the A with all the injuries (and subsequent recalls) I get the trade. We got a RW with term. Question is upside.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Let's play Schmaltz with Cousins and Archibald for 8 minutes a night and see how he looks before making these kinds of statements...
The fact that talent looks better playing with talent isn't exactly revolutionary. The fact we gave up on yet another kid without even trying to see if he'd work here should alarm you. Especially when he looks like a 2C immediately somewhere else, but we couldn't find any use for him.
We're #'ed if we don't change the way we do things here. I'm not entirely sold we even got the best player today having watched Chicago. It's certainly not clear that with a year of actual time to adjust and develop by playing his natural role while in the NHL Strome will not have improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->