Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What about Marner?
I would have said no in the past as he's the local boy and local hero but the fact that he wants to wait until summer to get maximum contract I'm not sure he wouldn't be willing to leave and if someone offered a boatload I'm not sure the Leafs could afford his contract and just might take the picks.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Has there ever been a player of consequence who publicly said I don't want to play somewhere and I want to go to xxx?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

I wouldn't rule out it was a tank-move. Rangers has played way better with him.

It didn't help though, Zibanejad has really gotten his stuff together.

Good for him. Allthough I must admit I really didn't think Zib was truly good.

So, wrong again.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I was in a bar with his uncles poodles babysitter and she said that AM is a huge fan of the Rising. He wants to come back to be close to the team and pursue his lifelong dream of playing professional soccer once his hockey career is over.

Facts.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I was in a bar with his uncles poodles babysitter and she said that AM is a huge fan of the Rising. He wants to come back to be close to the team and pursue his lifelong dream of playing professional soccer once his hockey career is over.
TFC just sold their top striker this week so even his soccer prospects are probably better in Toronto.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Eric Lindros is a good example. He didn’t want to go to Quebec. Ilya Bryzgaov sure didn’t want to go to Winnipeg. Patrick Berglund REALLY didn’t want to go to Buffalo.
None of those said they wanted to go somewhere specific. And 3 guys in history kind a makes my case of it being unusual. Lots of guys don't want to go places but they don't publicly state it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Would it be fitting that Dave Tippets Seattle team selects Turris in the upcoming expansion draft?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
None of those said they wanted to go somewhere specific. And 3 guys in history kind a makes my case of it being unusual. Lots of guys don't want to go places but they don't publicly state it.
That was off the top. And they couldn’t have spoken more loudly. Don’t be a semantics weasel.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That was off the top. And they couldn’t have spoken more loudly. Don’t be a semantics weasel.
My post was specific and in relation to the assertion that Matthews will say he didn't want to play in Toronto and wants to play for AZ. So semantics or not it really doesn't happen in the NHL.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Kind of related but Curtis Joseph trashed Toronto when he signed with Detroit.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I’d bet Matthews loves Toronto. I’d bet he doesn’t want to play for the Coyotes.
I'd put some money down on this bet too. I think Auston Matthews' biggest priority is having a chance to win the Stanley Cup. If he got traded to Arizona, I think he'd think it was cool to be playing near his family and friends - but if he hit UFA and it was between, say, the Coyotes and the Lightning, Penguins, or Capitals, he wouldn't pick the home town.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Matthews agents job is to use whatever leverage he can to get the best deal for his client. This includes the threat of an offer sheet from his home town team regardless on how unlikely that may be.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'd put some money down on this bet too. I think Auston Matthews' biggest priority is having a chance to win the Stanley Cup. If he got traded to Arizona, I think he'd think it was cool to be playing near his family and friends - but if he hit UFA and it was between, say, the Coyotes and the Lightning, Penguins, or Capitals, he wouldn't pick the home town.
Well, he doesn't love Toronto right now, but he is young and that could change. Everyone wants to win the Stanley Cup, but players think they can win it with any team in the NHL, it's not like the NBA. As a UFA, he could go to the highest bidder. By the time that happens, what is the difference between 15 mill and 18 mill a year? He might choose where he wants to play. Those teams you mentioned could be on a down swing. Keep in mind the mentality of younger players is changing, it might be more about being happy then the most money.

I know Mathews would like to play in AZ, it would be his first choice. It will be hard for him to force his way out but he isn't going to sign a team friendly deal, meaning he wants to be out or get to UFA status quickly and he wants to get paid. It's un likely he ever plays in AZ, but the Coyotes making an offer would say something about this franchise and you never know he might sign it. TML will likely have to move at least one of Marner/Mathews/Nylander, they can't afford to keep all 3 of them.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
He will sign for 5 or 6 years in Toronto, make lots of money and have a great chance to win. Then he will be a free agent.

That will give Arizona a chance to get a new ownership group with sufficient resources to actually own a pro sports franchise (finally) and a new arena and a competitive team. That would be lots of reason for him to want to play for the local team.

Or that won’t have happened and the team will either have relocated or will somehow someway still be floundering where it is. In either case he will have very little interest.

I put it about 35/65 right now based on nothing but gut feel.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, he doesn't love Toronto right now, but he is young and that could change. Everyone wants to win the Stanley Cup, but players think they can win it with any team in the NHL, it's not like the NBA. As a UFA, he could go to the highest bidder. By the time that happens, what is the difference between 15 mill and 18 mill a year? He might choose where he wants to play. Those teams you mentioned could be on a down swing. Keep in mind the mentality of younger players is changing, it might be more about being happy then the most money.

I know Mathews would like to play in AZ, it would be his first choice. It will be hard for him to force his way out but he isn't going to sign a team friendly deal, meaning he wants to be out or get to UFA status quickly and he wants to get paid. It's un likely he ever plays in AZ, but the Coyotes making an offer would say something about this franchise and you never know he might sign it. TML will likely have to move at least one of Marner/Mathews/Nylander, they can't afford to keep all 3 of them.
I would think almost any player would like to play for their hometown team if the circumstances were the same between the teams, but they sure in hell are not in Arizona. I think AM likes TO and has no desire to leave. IF TO has to trade a player or players to keep AM they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->